• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponycan USA Promotes Kuromukuro, Mayoiga/The Lost Village TV Anime, Sound! Euphonium Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Someone asked about Sound! Euphonium and was told that dubbing was too expensive. I guess the sales just weren't there for Yuki Yuna, the only Ponycan USA title I own because it got a dub (granted, I have no interest in anything else they got anyway). They took the risk and perhaps didn't see a good enough return. As well-loved as Sound! Euphonium is, I guess they couldn't justify the cost to try again.

They'll be watching sales of the first season to see how they'll release the second, if they do at all. lol But then they're in quite the dilemma. Their sales probably aren't that good, and they probably will lose a few potential customers over their decisions for Sound! Euphonium's first season. So the second season will probably get the same treatment as the first.

And then we'll get the movie as a sub-only "import edition" and it won't stand consistently beside the TV show sets...
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I just hope that I don't end up liking Mayoiga and Kuromukuro too much because I don't like buying anime from this asinine company.

That's the first thought I had when I saw the headline for this article. But seeing as how they seemed unsure if they'd localize the series...I have some hope that someone else will end up with the license.

Still, on Kuromukuro...PA Works hasn't been a studio that has released many shows, in the last few years, that I've enjoyed. Feel like most of the ones I've seen have let me down.

On PCUSA, the main thing (price aside) I'm not liking about them is the fact that all the shows they have for release end up being ones that don't get licensed in Australia.

And that is something that will continue to annoy me, and something that does not look like changing. I wouldn't give much thought on PCUSA grabbing shows if they were also going to be licensed in Australia. But, when they do have a show, it turns out to be one that I have to import from them...though, I've yet to actually do so.

They do have some shows I'd like to own, like Denki-gai, Rokka, and Eupho...but those shows aren't the type I want a CE for. I'd by SEs for each of those shows, and was planning to import the announced Rokka SE, before it was cancelled.

Even if they were licensed in Australia, the price point may still be very similar. I'm collecting Hanabee's release of the Monogatari stuff, so I'm playing $60AUD per volume for that one. So, if I love a series enough, I do pay more for it if I have to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2