• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: A Char For All Seasons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
His mecha are three times faster, no wonder he's three time more present in this ranking. More seriously, Char should be considered as his full character (from 0079 to 0093 in his eponymous movie). Judging a part or act of him as a full character can be deceptive.

jroa wrote:
However, given that we're including a number of personalities who aren't necessarily playing the role of antagonists all the time and also acknowledging that Char-style characters aren't exclusive to Gundam as a property, I would say Lelouch from Code Geass counts too.

Some Geass creator clearly said he was using Char (because he loved the character or something).

Anyway, the very first reason Char can't be Gundam-exclusive is because the original Char is a famous french character called Edmond Dantes.

About those still complaining about Casval's regression toward his end, it didn't ruin his prior development because part of Quattro was another "mask". I followed the Origin (manga), Zeta, Double Zeta and the finale movie with no pause and the "bad version" of Char seen there made sense (you can even think about some elements of him in the previous installments)

Last edited by AyanamiRei on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
ew121

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Please don't ever write a Gundam article again, thanks.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
Please don't ever write a Gundam article again, thanks.

Be nice, it is not such an horrible article. To be honest, it isn't even bad.

Another article on another website, Why I'm glad Iron Blooded Orphans was my first Gundam anime:
Quote:
I always [...] avoid mecha anime [...]. There are two main reasons for this: first, the majority of the mecha shows I happened to catch a glimpse [...] were aimed at the male demographic, making me feel like I didn’t belong in the first place. Second, from the little I saw, the shows looked to focus on the battles with the robots and instead of on the characters piloting them. As someone who is interested in the workings of the human mind rather than the inner workings of a robot and all its shiny weapons, this pushed me even further away from shows like the long-running Gundam franchise.

Source: http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2016/09/06/030000
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
>McGillis Fareed
>soft spot for children

Almiria Bauduin needs an adult that isn't McGillis or her own brother.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Do most people consider Harry an antagonist? Seems like he spent more time working with the protagonist, and even when he wasn't working with him, didn't really seem to be working against him.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Second, from the little I saw, the shows looked to focus on the battles with the robots and instead of on the characters piloting them. As someone who is interested in the workings of the human mind rather than the inner workings of a robot and all its shiny weapons, this pushed me even further away from shows like the long-running Gundam franchise

Personally I'd wish the show would focus more on the giant mech, I feel like all the gundam are maybe 30% giant mech, 50% angsty teenager drama, 20% moralising.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The best thing about McGillis is that Mikazuki sees through his disguise immediately on meeting him in the mask. Just bluntly calls him out on it, like not even considering he's trying to hide his identity. "Oh, you're that guy I met before. Hey."

Rau doesn't deserve to even be thought of as a character. Nobody in CE Gundam is a character. They have no discernible personalities. Rau doesn't have the presence and gravitas a proper Char character would have. Zechs had presence. Schwartz had presence. Even Mr. Bushido had presence, even if it was silly. You notice when these characters enter the fray or leave. With Rau, it's just, "Oh, hey, it's that masked guy. Whatever." Mikazuki had more reaction to McGillis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
A fine list with no real argument, though I wouldn't call Schwarz an antagonist as he's just too friendly with Domon to qualify. On the list:

Zechs: Despite me cooling on GW over the years I still find Zechs to be a compelling characters in the series. In fact I go as far to say that HE'S the protagonist instead of the other pilots and he does the most, the plot centers around him, and he has the most growth. That being said there are problems. It really felt like they tried to cram all of Char's history into Zechs' arc thus leading to the man bouncing around backstabbing like a D&D rogue hopped up on crank.

Jamil: Jamil I would say leans more towards an Amuro clone than anything due to his past as an ace pilot closely mirroring Amuro. In fact, that really makes Jamil the first Amuro clone.

Kawaguchi: I could not stop laughing at how GBF utterly skewers the Char clone obsession by showing how silly it can get. He tries so hard but comes off more as a dork than anything, though by Try he's gotten better at it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:
IOB

Iron Orphans Blooded? Razz

meiam wrote:

Personally I'd wish the show would focus more on the giant mech, I feel like all the gundam are maybe 30% giant mech, 50% angsty teenager drama, 20% moralising.

When you say it should focus more on the mech or we talking about the mech's specifically or the action battles since if it's the former that makes very little sense as the mech's are basically extensions of their pilots and without them the mechs are just cold, empty, machines with nuclear reactors in them that can't do nothing.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

meiam wrote:

When you say it should focus more on the mech or we talking about the mech's specifically or the action battles since if it's the former that makes very little sense as the mech's are basically extensions of their pilots and without them the mechs are just cold, empty, machines with nuclear reactors in them that can't do nothing.

Both really, ultimately I watch mech show for the mechs. That doesn't mean no human, but when you have long stretch that don't really advance the story and only focus on teenager drama it really feel like I've walked into the wrong series. Obviously there's a bunch of topic that make sense to be explored in a mech shows, war is obviously one which brings in politic and such.

I'd also love more show that really focus on mech, maybe something like a show dedicated to the team that build mech while a way is going on in the background. Would be very niche, but there might be a public for that.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the tradition of Char clones, Zechs becomes a different person when he has his mask on. He's either a peace-loving politician or a bloodthirsty war hero—nothing in between. His struggle throughout Gundam Wing is to resolve both sides of his conflicted personality into one.

Whenever I see people "analyzing" Gundam Wing with such blatantly false information, it makes me wonder if they ever actually watched the show or if they're just relying on outdated websites authored by people who wrote the show off as "vapid fangirl-pandering nonsense".
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
SrkSano wrote:
Wish the list included Full Frontal since he's the only physical Char Clone.

I haven't watched UC since it first came out but isn't he only a clone in the traditional sense in the original novel? From what I remember of the anime, spoiler[it's implied that he was basically a no-name ace before he became Full Frontal, with the later happening because he'd been implanted with memories and altered to look like Char.]

While it isn't that well known in English circles, mainly because it's obscure to begin with and so far disconnected from UC Gundam's time frame, there is Gaia Gear too. spoiler[Afranche is a literal flesh-and-blood clone of Char.]

Article wrote:
Rau justifies a lot of his bad behavior on the fact that he isn't an organic human, but a clone—and you and I know that the meta implication here is astounding.

Rau's probably the best part of SEED imo, especially the later portions. The really sad thing, though kind of hilarious in retrospect, is how right Rau is about the Cosmic Era's problems (especially with what comes after in Destiny) and how nobody, especially Kira, can argue them.
According to the Gundam wiki spoiler[Full Frontal is actually Char Aznable. However, during the Axis event in 0093, his soul split in two. One half, the part of him that wanted to drop Axis onto Earth for the preservation of the Earth and mankind, died and passed on. However, another part of him refused to die, but that part was incomplete without the other half and resulted in Full Frontal, a man who isn't sure if he really is Char or merely a clone of him. He has vague memories of Char, but can't tell if they're real(These memories being from the other half that passed on.). At the end of Unicorn, during the second event, Full Frontal comes face to face with his other half, Amuro, and Lalah, and consents to finally move on and leave the world to the new generation as the time of Char and Amuro was over.]

Gundam Wiki isn't really reliable IMHO. Anyone can put anything on there, so it shouldn't be taken as official or set in stone. Frankly it's never outright said what Full Frontal is in Gundam Unicorn. It's one of it's annoying plot holes, since throughout the series Full Frontal dances around that issue and he keeps repeating how he is a "vessel - fulled with the wishes of the people". Going from the source material I can confidently say that Full Frontal is obviously an artificial creation. I guess you can say a clone to be more exact, since clones do exist in the UC timeline (Elpeo Ple for example). It would have been great story-telling if they actually confirmed to us who created Full Frontal and for what purpose, but instead they decided on giving us insane Newtype powers and Banagher groaning on again for the final episode.

As for the article, it's a nice list, but the majority of those characters aren't villains. Char influenced no doubt, but not villains. Jamil Neate (who is more like Amuro as somebody else pointed out), Quattro Bajeena, Schwarz Bruder, and Harry Ord. None of those characters do I consider villainous.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
I'm fine with what Gundam Wiki says about Full Frontal. Within the show it makes a lot of sense. Especially if you recall Minerva and Full Frontal's dialog. The show had lots of Newtype mystical stuff already. One more thing doesn't bother me.

It also makes sense given what the crew of the anime said about Full Frontal early on in Gundam Unicorn's life cycle. That the novel is different and they are treating Full Frontal as if he's the real Char and not a clone.

I won't regard that as an official explanation or anything though. Officially I'll regard Full Frontal as a clone (Char but not really Char) because every explanation seems to ring true to that in one way or another. Certain aspects of the UC Timeline and Gundam in general are best left for viewers to decide for themselves.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
No love for Zeheart and Iron Mask?
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
No love for Zeheart and Iron Mask?

Iron Mask from F91? He was an abusive husband, a horrible parent and a pilot so-so whose massive Mobile Armor did all the work.

Real Char of F91 was Zabine Chareux and he was never really developed in the movie (spoiler[and become a joke of himself, then a traitor] in Crossbone Vanguard, but since it's not anime cannon, I can ignore it)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3