• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Anime Enters 'Universe Survival' Arc in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Awesome Tien is in this arc I actually might watch it. The coolest human in the show needs more love. He gave Nappa some trouble

Only after Nappa severed his hand, and Chiaoztu senselessly sacrificed himself....and without actually hurting him either.

Monster Hunter wrote:
held off Cell,

Who still went on to do what he was stopping him from doing.

Monster Hunter wrote:
and the only one who survived Super Buu's extinction attack.

But still died when Kid Buu blew up the earth.

Transformers03 wrote:
The latest episode and the recent Yamcha spin-off Manga have prove that he has some sort enduring appeal,

As a punchline, Yamcha has been a joke every since Toriyama demoted him all the way back in the original manga.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Only after Nappa severed his hand, and Chiaoztu senselessly sacrificed himself....and without actually hurting him either.

Who still went on to do what he was stopping him from doing.

But still died when Kid Buu blew up the earth.

More then Krillin ever did. Best thing Krillin is known for is distracting Frieza. Tien was much cooler then Krillin.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
I hope Buu gets to do something other than sleep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
Android 18 is part of the team. I AM SO HAPPY!!!
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
I'm still annoyed that some idiot thought it'd be a good idea to put a timer on Vegito's fusion. That put me off Dragon Ball Super entirely.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Does that mean we're gonna have filler for 2 month, or did I miss an arc annoucement?
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Hope this arc is better than the last and I hope Gohan finally gets some freaking shine. Also give Kid Trunks and Goten some older designs already

Would make sense to do if there were a significant enough timeskip.
Actually, they should already have a new design by now. Pan is already born, and since she is 4 at the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, so there has already been between five and six years since buu's defeat. So yeah they older than Gohan against Cell (Trunks is 13 or 14 and Goten 12 or 13). So yeah the fact they kept their design is not logical.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:

More then Krillin ever did. Best thing Krillin is known for is distracting Frieza.

Which actually served a purpose and didn't get him killed. Unlike Tienshinhan blasting Nappa with a onehanded Kikoho out of anger that he shrugged off and caused the death of the former.

Monster Hunter wrote:
Tien was much cooler then Krillin.

Yeah that's why Tien spends most of his time hanging out with Chiaotzu in the mountains. Whereas Krillin married an attractive woman that's stronger than him, had a daughter, and has a 9-5.

penguintruth wrote:
I hope Buu gets to do something other than sleep.

Eat & Shit?

Black Turtle wrote:
and since she is 4 at the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai,

Which was shown at the end of Z but has yet to actually take place in Super do to Super being set in between the end and epilogue of Z?

Black Turtle wrote:
so there has already been between five and six years since buu's defeat.

....This has never been stated to my recollection we know Super takes place after Z how long after is something that's a matter of debate but we know it's not the amount of time you've been wrongly lead to believe it is. Especially since Pilaf and his gang seem to be around the same exact age as Trunks.

Black Turtle wrote:
So yeah the fact they kept their design is not logical.

Unless not that much time passed after Buu's defeat which we know it hasn't. Or the fact that even in real-life people's bodies don't grow at the same rate as others if at all
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Ia lwast wonder why roshi does not wish himself to be young again, maybe that will go against his weird immortality, because being young might make him able to become stronger
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Black Turtle wrote:
and since she is 4 at the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai,

Which was shown at the end of Z but has yet to actually take place in Super do to Super being set in between the end and epilogue of Z?

Black Turtle wrote:
so there has already been between five and six years since buu's defeat.

....This has never been stated to my recollection we know Super takes place after Z how long after is something that's a matter of debate but we know it's not the amount of time you've been wrongly lead to believe it is. Especially since Pilaf and his gang seem to be around the same exact age as Trunks.

Black Turtle wrote:
So yeah the fact they kept their design is not logical.

Unless not that much time passed after Buu's defeat which we know it hasn't. Or the fact that even in real-life people's bodies don't grow at the same rate as others if at all

I think you missed my point, since you divided what said. Sure it has never been clearly stated how long had passed, but do the maths. There is a 10 years gap between the end of buu and the 28th tenkaichi budokai. Pan is 4 at that time (she is in her fifth year), so she is born between during the year that begins 5 years after boo's defeat and end 6 years after. Thus, Super is right now between 5 and 6 years after buu's defeat. And since Goten and Trunks were 7 and 8 at the time, do the math. Sure, Toriyama could have rendered DBZ ending not canon anymore, and made pan older during the 28th TB, but from what we know, it's still canon. Thus Goten is 12 or 13 and Trunks 13 or 14.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
I think you missed my point, since you divided what said. Sure it has never been clearly stated how long had passed, but do the maths.

Why do the math when there's no reason to do so?

DragonBall is notoriously inconsistent with things like time. That's how you can have Gohan's age at the start of Z be a source of debate.

Black Turtle wrote:
There is a 10 years gap between the end of buu and the 28th tenkaichi budokai.

Means very little by the fact that Super has for all intents and purposes looks like it's retconned Z's original ending out of existence.

Primus wrote:
Thus, Super is right now between 5 and 6 years after buu's defeat.

I remember it being stated from many people that Super was set months after Buu's defeat so where are all these years coming in to play? because I've not seen or heard any confirmation about that much time having passed within the series. And no doing the "math's" is not the way to obtain the answer to this puzzle.

Primus wrote:
Sure, Toriyama could have rendered DBZ ending not canon anymore, and made pan older during the 28th TB, but from what we know, it's still canon.

No it's not unless the writers do a good job of explaining the myriad of inconsistency's that Super has left Z's ending with. Like why Goku can't use SSG or SSB.

Primus wrote:
Thus Goten is 12 or 13 and Trunks 13 or 14.

By an assumption along with some dubious theories and not much else.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to it!!
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Primus wrote:
Sure, Toriyama could have rendered DBZ ending not canon anymore, and made pan older during the 28th TB, but from what we know, it's still canon.

No it's not unless the writers do a good job of explaining the myriad of inconsistency's that Super has left Z's ending with. Like why Goku can't use SSG or SSB.
Technically, he doesn't even use SSJ, that could still be the ending with all the new thing passed.
But yeah, in the end, since nothing has been made clear, both of our explanation can be true or false. It may be not stated that I'm right, but it's not stated that you are either. Anyway, I think Toriyama care about that ending, since until BDS, it the only thing that he has modified in his manga, changing the last 5 pages, with goku giving kinto'un to uub, and showing vegeta on the last page. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/fan-thoughts-the-dragon-ball-ending/
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
The thought of any universe depending on Krillin to help it survive is terrifying.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Hope this arc is better than the last and I hope Gohan finally gets some freaking shine. Also give Kid Trunks and Goten some older designs already

Would make sense to do if there were a significant enough timeskip.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't wasn't it stated somewhere that the beginning of Super takes place 6 months after the Buu saga? I know originally the BOG movie took place 1 year after Majin Buu's defeat in order to emphasize that everyone was still at their strongest and the ROF movie took place a year or 2 after that. Idk if the series still follows that timeline but I do know that beginning of Super takes place 6 months after the Buu saga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2