• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Pleads Guilty to Coercing Girl He Met at Anime Con

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
If this man had been screened and been unable to attend Katsucon, this situation could have been avoided. That is a fact. Beyond that, I have zero interest in getting into the mud with you and others about this beyond what I have already said.

So in other words, the Con should've done more rather than people simply looking out for themselves? Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I really don't want to be getting screened just showing up to a Con. IIRC, at Sakura-con, underage kids *must* get an adult's approval to go and are supposed to stay with an adult while at the Con. This seems to me to be a sensible policy and it, too, would've prevented this situation (at least insofar as the Con is concerned).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
They should make an anime out of this!

The cliche premise is already there! Laughing
hikaricore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
More likely to end up as a Lifetime original movie. :p
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This really makes me sick. Just keep him locked up. >Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I find fault with the parents and anime.con, as well
anime stores are not baby sitting services and even at 13 years old kids should not be attending such events unsupervised
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I mean absolutely no disrespect, nor am I trying to make light of this, but where were the girl's parents during the whole time?

Also, although I am not sure why a 13 year needs a Facebook account, why is she intimately talking (chatting in this instance) with a guy this old in the first place?

Additionally, why is the 13 year old by her self at a convention? Didn't these parents even consider that places like a convention areas and Facebook may contain people that guy in the article?

I swear, it's like common sense has completely been forgotten about these days.

Besides restricting internet access, phone access her parents will take her to a licensed psychiatrist, because although the guy has plead guilty and what not, it's going to take some time before the family completely heals, let alone the 13 year old.

But I wonder, the guy is in the late 30's, why didn't he just date women around his age or at the very least someone around 18 or so? And I am not saying this right (far, far, far from it) if he waited five years, the 13 year old in question would be 18 and it would be completely legal.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
IIRC, at Sakura-con, underage kids *must* get an adult's approval to go and are supposed to stay with an adult while at the Con. This seems to me to be a sensible policy and it, too, would've prevented this situation (at least insofar as the Con is concerned).

Sakura-Con's minor policy is that anyone 12 and under must be with a registered member 18 or older at all times. Minors aged 13-17 do not have to be with said 18+ member, but the 18+ member has to be on con-premises while the minor is (and also has to be registered). If the registered adult is not the minor's parent, they have to have a permission slip.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I mean absolutely no disrespect, nor am I trying to make light of this, but where were the girl's parents during the whole time?

Additionally, why is the 13 year old by her self at a convention? Didn't these parents even consider that places like a convention areas and Facebook may contain people that guy in the article.

I don't know about Katsucon's policy minors policy, but at Sakura-Con, the parents could have been in a different area of the con as the girl, who, at 13, only has to have them on the premises.

The intricacies of the how and why and who's to blame aside, situations like this are why I will never attend a convention that mails out badges. If you are not checking IDs and confirming that the person getting the badge is who they claim to be, then I don't want to be at that convention. Besides potentially catching people like this, you also have the potentiality of people registering under fake names to avoid bans and/or restraining orders, minors claiming to be adults, etc. There is far too much liability and no guarantee that the person getting the badge is who they claim to be, unless you check IDs.
laceblade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
haldenlith wrote:
Not to mention most thirteen year olds I know are smart enough not to drop their pants for a 30-something guy... Not saying the guy isn't at fault, but I feel the girl should get some sort of punishment as well.

Wow, way to not only blame the rape victim, but to blame *the 13-year-old victim.* Sweet Jesus.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe some of you.

The man has previously been convicted of statutory rape. She stopped talking to him when she realized who he was. He contacted her again under a false name. He lied to her about his past. He coerced her into sexual activity.

None of that suggest that she led him into believing she was of legal age. In fact, it suggests the exact opposite: he is a serial offender looking for underage girls.

Quote:
I find fault with the parents and anime.con, as well
anime stores are not baby sitting services and even at 13 years old kids should not be attending such events unsupervised

Seriously ? You're blaming the parents ? Yes, the con could have done more, but to expect 13-year-olds to be chaperoned all the time is ridiculous. This could have happened in any number of places, and by 13 years age, kids are normally given a much longer leash. Going downtown, commuting to/from school, spending the day at an anime convention, at the mall, at an amusement park, or at a park are all reasonable things that normal 13-year-olds do on their own without constant supervision. Sadly there is risk inherent in every activity.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
haldenlith wrote:
Not to mention most thirteen year olds I know are smart enough not to drop their pants for a 30-something guy... Not saying the guy isn't at fault, but I feel the girl should get some sort of punishment as well.

WTF? Seriously ?

Did you not see the part where it says he coerced her ?

She didn't do anything willingly except flirt with him online when she didn't know who he was (and we don't know if she knew his age at the time, but we do know she had the brains to stop talking to him when she learned who he was).
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Was this the same guy on America's Most Wanted a few years back?
hikaricore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
laceblade wrote:
Wow, way to not only blame the rape victim, but to blame *the 13-year-old victim.* Sweet Jesus.

Where does it say he raped her? Did you actually read the story?
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
laceblade wrote:

Where does it say he raped her? Did you actually read the story?

The fact that she was 13 and he was 33 says it. Even if she was willing, the law says she is not able to give consent. It is called Statutory Rape.
hikaricore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I agree by law that's statutory rape, however those words need to stay together...
Simply calling her the "rape victim" is misleading and implies that someone isn't paying attention or bothering to properly understand the incident.

Last edited by hikaricore on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Just watch, some media hound is going catch wind of this story and make all anime fans out to be like this creep.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13