• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream My Hero Academia Season 2 With English Dub, Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprising. The fast dub for Akiba's Trip seemed like it was mostly a test for MHA and, more than likely, Attack on Titan.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Damn Bones must have an incredible production schedule for this season if they can guarantee that 6 episodes will be complete weeks before they air (since it takes about 1-2 weeks for an episode to get dubbed).

Most shows have episodes 1-6 finished by episode 1 airdate while in various levels of production for episodes 7-10. It's after that point that shows usually fall behind. Noragami Aragoto for instance aired with a trailer showing scenes from episodes 8, and that show was rushed to hell 'n high water with tons of animation problems.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Cool. I suppose the next evolution of Funimation simuldubs is to have them available hours after the Japanese premier; I hope to see more cases like this one going forward. I imagine they will do something similar with Attack on Titan S2.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if AoT2 doesn't air simultaneously on Toonami, or even on a bit of a delay like they did with that crap Dimension W. JoJo's ends mid-April I believe, giving Funimation enough time to have dubs ready.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm so HYPE FOR THIS! SPORTS FESTIVAL HERE WE COME!
Selipse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Will this really be a Funimation exclusive? I thought it was only Netflix's job to keep piracy alive nowadays!
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Damn Bones must have an incredible production schedule for this season if they can guarantee that 6 episodes will be complete weeks before they air (since it takes about 1-2 weeks for an episode to get dubbed).
They can still do voices even if the episodes aren't finished.

Voicing an anime can be done whenever the storyboard is finished, which is quite early in it's development cycle.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

It is starting to look like a title exclusive to Funimation.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Funimation/CR partnership has been silently scaled back or even discontinued.

Despite the "Funimation for dubs, CR for subs" plan, The dub of Gintama is appearing on CR, and now we see Funimation announcing they'll have a subtitled version of MHA. Add to that the fact that no further Funimation catalog titles have moved over to CR since before Christmas.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if the Funimation/CR partnership has been silently scaled back or even discontinued.

Despite the "Funimation for dubs, CR for subs" plan, The dub of Gintama is appearing on CR, and now we see Funimation announcing they'll have a subtitled version of MHA. Add to that the fact that no further Funimation catalog titles have moved over to CR since before Christmas.

The dub of Gintama was well known to have been commisoned long before the partnership began, CR likely couldnt' back out of the deal so only they have the rights not Funi. Similar is likely for MHA given how early Funimation announced rights to stream the first season last year it may just be a title CR has no similcast rights for.

It takes time to get lisences switched and get the Japanese side to agree to changes, it's not like Funi can just wave a wand and BAM CR has their whole subbed library and converstly CR can't just give away all their old dubbing rights either.
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I think the only reason the dub for Gintama is on CR is because TV Tokyo are Investors in CR meaning every anime that is published by TV Tokyo has to be only on CR
Vannil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

This may answer your question: animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2016-03-10/funimation-entertainment-acquires-exclusive-international-rights-to-my-hero-academia-from-toho/.99614
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Aww darn so only the first 6 will be simuldub while the rest will come out 5 weeks later i guess like last year :/
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Crap, I was thinking about this for a long time and it seems FUNI will have exclusive rights for it. I hope CR also streams MHA, though. Torrenting is exhausting and I always forget to watch what I have downloaded (like LWA).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

This may answer your question: animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2016-03-10/funimation-entertainment-acquires-exclusive-international-rights-to-my-hero-academia-from-toho/.99614

Also, from the get go, they said that certain titles would not be part of the deal since the Japanese licensors still have the final say. The second season of Tales of Zesteria, for example, is not part of it. Also, the transfer of catalogue titles seemed like it was more periodic than a continuous thing. Existing deals are definitely a factor. For example, Mob Psycho 100 was delayed and recorded in LA because it turns out CR had already made arrangements for the dub of that particular show.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
this series was a major let down
it was so damn boring
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
diamoundheadx wrote:
this series was a major let down
it was so damn boring

In all seriousness the first season dragged the intro stuff out way too much and I'm not surprised it turned people off. In the manga what they covered was only the first 12 or so chapters. The things covered this upcoming season are when it really gets good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3