• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Silver Spoon, Kemono Friends Manga, Imōto Sae Ireba Ii., Reborn as a Vendin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
More Kemono Friends-related media officially in English is sweet, but I hope they, or someone else, license(d) the fun anthology manga based on the anime's version of the setting instead of Furai's one which is kinda bunk. I'll support it for the franchise's sake, but it's really not at all the best example of why it's loved. Semi-disappointed.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to read Maoyu; i loved that anime.

Some of the other stuff sounds pretty neat as well, like the "Elvish Bride and Pizzaria" one (if the premise is based on a marriage, that will mean half of the annoying LN tropes are automatically eliminated!!)
AliceTheHare

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yoko Taro and Daisuke Moriyama's manga is getting an english release what wonderful news. I hope it'll be confirmed for a print version sometime down the line.
jimmydip

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand why they would license Baka & Test, Maoyu, and Tokyo Ravens when you can get those on bookwalker already (I actually already have them from Bookwalker), unless they are going to release them in print.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
jimmydip wrote:
I dont understand why they would license Baka & Test, Maoyu, and Tokyo Ravens when you can get those on bookwalker already (I actually already have them from Bookwalker), unless they are going to release them in print.

It's because they have a deal with bookwalker. That's why they licensed them. These are the last of their shared titles.
jimmydip

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
So they will be the same exact releases?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Baccano huh. So can someone set the story straight for me? Baccano was an original anime that they then did a manga for correct? Or was it a light novel that got an anime adaptation then a manga adaptation?

Baccano was originally a series of light novels that started in 2003 and is still ongoing in Japan and it has over 20 volumes.

So the light novels arent even done? Then finishing the manga early must have been because of poor sales. Why not just license the Light novels then?
Sairin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Baccano huh. So can someone set the story straight for me? Baccano was an original anime that they then did a manga for correct? Or was it a light novel that got an anime adaptation then a manga adaptation?

Baccano was originally a series of light novels that started in 2003 and is still ongoing in Japan and it has over 20 volumes.

So the light novels arent even done? Then finishing the manga early must have been because of The poor sales. Why not just license the Light novels then?

Well, they are already releasing the LN. The Manga adaptation is relatively new and they released it in digital, and now it's getting a print release too.
K-Anime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
The Demon Who Became My Sister (Ane Naru Mono) This is assuming. This series came a long way in such a short time. First, there's the original hentai doujinshi manga (which is still ongoing). Then, it gets a serialized adaptation in Japan and now it's licensed for an English release.

Tales of Wedding Rings (Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari) so now people can buy the volume physically. I enjoy this harem series, minus the clingy jealous main girl.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
jimmydip wrote:

Because there are lots of people like me who read comics digitally but won't touch Bookwalker because it's too much hassle to use yet another app for comics. (I'm already behind on Crunchyroll Manga and Line Webtoon, and I have a bunch of stuff I bought on sale in the Viz app that I haven't read, to say nothing of Comixology.) At this point I don't want to start a digital series unless I can hit subscribe on Comixology and have everything show up on my Kindle on the release date.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Being the deviant I am I have only seen the doujins of "The Demon Who Became My Sister". I didn't know the author did one without the naughty stuff.
Except it also pretty much lewd even without the H-stuff, and it's kind of the prequel story to the doujins series.

And wow, there is Yoko Taro Thou Shalt Not Die getting license? That's really sweet, I totally like the pproach to the stereotypical battle academy manga/LN cliches with his own unique style.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

And wow, there is Yoko Taro Thou Shalt Not Die getting license? That's really sweet, I totally like the pproach to the stereotypical battle academy manga/LN cliches with his own unique style.

Yoko Taro dabbles in light novels, too? Shocked Man, this guy is everywhere! Still, I tend to really dig his stories, so I'll definitely be on the lookout for this. (Also, YES, Silver Spoon! :DDD)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
Someone FINALLY got Silver Spoon!
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
I read the original Dōjinshi (not proud of that but I did read it) of The Demon Who Became My Sister never in a million years would I have thought that would get a "legit" Manga version. That being said, Reborn as a Vending Machine, Now I Wander the Dungeon is the more surprising license as this title became kind of punchline online for the excesses of Light and Web Novels.

Of course I will be reading Reborn as a Vending Machine, Now I Wander the Dungeon and The Hero and His Elf Bride Open a Pizza Parlor because it combines two things I love Pizza and Elf brides but I digress. I'm surprised it took this long for Silver Spoon to get licensed but I'm glad it did so now I'll be able to read it.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years sounds like a blast, so I'll be giving that a read and the Kemono Friends hype train continues unabated and I am not getting off.

Also Goblin Slayer Year One nice I really enjoy the first novel in the series it derives from so more Goblin Slayer is fine by me. Where as I love some romance so Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts and Hatsu Haru sound right up my ally as well.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote
There's some nice stuff here that I'll be picking up, like Hatsu*Haru and Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts because I've read older titles by the authors and thought they were okay. I might grab the Baccano manga as well just because I like the LNs and anime so much.

The LNs that they picked up this time are completely uninteresting to me. In particular, those where the main character is completely over-powered from the start, what's the point? I wish someone would licence titles targeted at a female audience, like Sugar Apple Fairy Tale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3