• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny English Dub Reveals More Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

Now when they get to Destiny, I would love if they cast Keith Silverstein as Gilbert Durandal, just that would be really in step with the Japanese voice casting considering both have voiced Char Aznable (not to mention Full Frontal in Unicorn) in past things. They probably will pick someone else but if I was picking re-dub cast members for Destiny.

That would be great and an improvement over the Ocean dub. Ted Cole was really miscast in that role, his voice was not deep enough and made that character sound weak to be honest.

Already think Collins is a good choice, I mean he did play Griffith in Berserk, so him playing Rau is perfect, similar evil characters who hide their motives.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:
What sacrilege is this~! The Gundam dubs have always been really solid, was it really that hard to get most of the cast to return?

It's not like this is a new series with a deadline it's simply a HD re-release with a few extra scenes. lol

Always? Ok well I disagree, Zeta English Dub is rather awful and it doesn't match with the original show's dub either.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Gundam0084 wrote:
Hmm... They can dub SEED, but they won't dub stuff like Turn A or older UC shows (even X, for that matter...). I really would have loved a dub for Turn A, at the very least. While I never really cared for SEED (watched it the whole first series on Adult Swim, and never had any interest in checking Destiny out), I can certainly respect fans of it.

I don't think Bandai and Sunrise cares that much about going back and dubbing Turn A, X, ZZ or Victory. That's a lot of money to throw at those shows apparently, now something that is a little bit more newer like the remastered versions of Seed and Destiny that's fine for them to re-dub. And that's why they are doing this. And X well it wasn't even very well received in it's home country.

I mean Turn A I wish Bandai had tried to dub and sell back when Wing was popular and they were trying to release all of the Gundam shows they could to the US, but apparently I guess they thought it was too weird or something to sell.

I know Victory was probably thought to be either too old or too depressing to dub or sell back in the early 00s, similarly ZZ was thought to be too old and their release of Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 and Zeta had been rather lukewarm as I heard.

I wish companies would have more confidence in their properties regarding English dubs. It's a vicious cycle. Since they don't care about dubbing older shows, it makes it hard to build a case for newer fans of dubs to even care to buy their subtitled only releases. Regarding ZZ, it always struck me as odd when a good part of the main cast already had English voice actors that were used for the Gundam vs Zeta Gundam game on PS2 back in 2004 or 2005.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
BigHeadClan wrote:
What sacrilege is this~! The Gundam dubs have always been really solid, was it really that hard to get most of the cast to return?

It's not like this is a new series with a deadline it's simply a HD re-release with a few extra scenes. lol

Always? Ok well I disagree, Zeta English Dub is rather awful and it doesn't match with the original show's dub either.

I didn't think the Zeta dub was awful. I thought it was better than SEED's dub, for sure. I respect your opinion, though. As for the dub not matching with the original series, I think that was due to some sort of voice actor strike or some other issue.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kevin T. Collins as Rau Le Creuset

I hope that means there will be many outtakes where Rau breaks out into song.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:

Really? Have you seen the MS Gundam movie trilogy dub that was only released on VHS? That should be on MST3K.
I thought most of Ocean & Blue Waters Gundam dub were poor to mixed, the only one I thought was solid overall was Gundam 00. All watchable but didn't blow me away.

Its not that simply, they also re-animated mouth flaps as well. So no matter what they had to dub it again. I don't see how its sacrilege when its really nothing special. Yes its got a few great voices but most of it is weak.

Past ANN reviews:
"The English cast is acceptable, if not somewhat bland. There's no such nod to past Gundam efforts to be had here, and nobody really stands out. It's a functional dub that really won't win any attention, either positive or negative." - animenewsnetwork.com/review/gundam-seed-destiny/dvd-1

"Given the popularity of the franchise, Bandai's dub for the series is a disappointment. It has its strengths—it's immensely faithful—and some of the performances, particularly Mark Oliver's brief reprise of his role as Rau le Creuset and Samuel Vincent's more mature Athrun, are quite strong, but the work as a whole is brought down by Matt Hill's performance as Kira, along with a general softness in the cast as a whole."
animenewsnetwork.com/review/gundam-seed-destiny-final-plus/dvd
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
I wish companies would have more confidence in their properties regarding English dubs.

That would require the companies to turn out quality dubs and in turn (and when they do) for the fans to not dislike the dub for petty or trite reasons.

Gundam0084 wrote:
It's a vicious cycle. Since they don't care about dubbing older shows,

I don't think it's as much of thing of them not caring about dubbing older shows but the problem of dubbing an older show that's at least 20-40 years old for audiences who wouldn't exactly be.....accepting towards a show that has more telltale signs of it's age than a wrinkly old man.

Gundam0084 wrote:
it always struck me as odd when a good part of the main cast already had English voice actors that were used for the Gundam vs Zeta Gundam game on PS2 back in 2004 or 2005.

Given what happened with Seed and Seed Destiny it's kind of for the best that none of the other Gundam series came stateside.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is Sunrise's attempt to make SEED/Destiny more popular in the States, considering how hard it bombed. Seed was insanely popular in Canada, to the point where Seed itself had 4 and a half complete runs in YTV's Bionix block over the years while Destiny got 1 and a half partially due to when it started vs when it ended as YTV was shifting away from the Anime stuff.

I just really can't see this cast being any good. Like, Mittelman as Kira? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. The fact that they failed to get Duval back as Mwu, let alone Oliver as Pastry Man, is honestly enough to kill any interest I had in this.

The most depressing thing is this will probably prevent any possible Canadian TV airings, given the whole CanCon stuff the CRTC enforces (which dubs do count for) as if there was any chance for that to begin with. Not expecting the dubbed Lacus/Meer songs to happen again either because that'd kind of be something worth announcing.

Levonr wrote:

I don't see how its sacrilege when its really nothing special. Yes its got a few great voices but most of it is weak.

From what I've seen of the IBO dub, it's not much better with some borderline amazing miscasts (Bosch's Orga for instance.) Literally the only good Gundam dub since Bandai closed was the Unicorn dub and even that has some issues (although Platt and Yuri as Maridia and Riddhe was perfect casting.)

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Soooo yeah i cant really picture Chumley's (ygo gx) voice coming out of mu la flaga
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
No Rarity for Fllay this time. Always liked the Ocean cast in Gundam series. Would seem different.
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I've mentioned this before but for those who missed it:

A fansubbing group took the time to take the original dub of Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny and most of the episodes synced up well. Let's say it was an 85-90% job well done considering the obstacles. The ONLY problem they faced are the following:

- Rerecorded and added lines
- Using DVD English dub audio

Rightstuf can SURELY acquire the Master Audio and hire Ocean to get the VA's to record the VERY FEW extra lines and last I checked, most of the original cast is still there.

I'm pretty sure with the right price, Ocean would oblige, it cannot possibly cost them even half as much to do that as it does to redub the show entirely.

So, what exactly is stopping them from going ahead with this option? They won't say and that's what's frustrating. I like my Surfer Dude Kira. And I don't think anyone could've played Shinn better than Matthew Erickson.

Lynx Amali wrote:
I wonder if this is Sunrise's attempt to make SEED/Destiny more popular in the States, considering how hard it bombed.

I don't know what you're talking about, at one point everyone was debating over whether Wing or SEED was the better series. SEED was anything but a failure, that includes Gundam SEED Destiny. They have their naysayers whom to this day won't stop bitching about them, mostly UC elitist/purists (for God's sake, it's okay to not like GS or GSD but it's been bloody almost 15 years!! We've had a bunch of Gundam series and OVA's since then. GET OVER IT! Even bitching about AGE now is too long of a grudge to hold).
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
I wonder if this is Sunrise's attempt to make SEED/Destiny more popular in the States, considering how hard it bombed.

I don't know what you're talking about, at one point everyone was debating over whether Wing or SEED was the better series. SEED was anything but a failure, that includes Gundam SEED Destiny.

He's talking about how it bombed in the States, in comparison to Canada where it did well enough that they aired Destiny on TV.
On that note, I have a hard time believing that Gundam Seed Remastered is going to run on North American TV any time soon anyways.
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

He's talking about how it bombed in the States, in comparison to Canada where it did well enough that they aired Destiny on TV.

So was I.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:

I'm pretty sure with the right price, Ocean would oblige, it cannot possibly cost them even half as much to do that as it does to redub the show entirely.

So, what exactly is stopping them from going ahead with this option? They won't say and that's what's frustrating. I like my Surfer Dude Kira. And I don't think anyone could've played Shinn better than Matthew Erickson.

According to Stephanie Sheh: "So I think with SEED they’re looking at some older titles that were fan favorites, and when they did the Canadian dub in the past, Sunrise didn’t have much input on the script, casting, acting, etc. So since Unicorn, Sunrise has had a lot more input on the dub process and they like that. So they wanted to do that again with this re-dub of SEED."

They might be planning to air this on Toonami and I'm sorry but to me Ocean's dub sounds like a rough outdated early 2000's dub. I want a new cast that doesn't sound so dull.
Yes it failed on TV before but the channel was a mess then, edited to death and moved around at odd hours. Lets give it another chance.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
So was I.

Gundam Seed did bomb in the States. It hardly sold any toys and it was hardly on TV. It's mostly been forgotten by most people unless they sought it out themselves.

Levonr wrote:
They might be planning to air this on Toonami

Again, I have hard time believing this. In all, it's almost a hundred episodes of a saga with a notorious reputation. I can't see this being a mainstay on Toonami (for over a year) unless they burn through it quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5