• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's RIN-NE Manga Ends in 3 Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
I really hope she just goes back to short stories for a while. While her long running series tend to follow certain tropes a bit too hard and often end up overstaying their welcome, her short stories have always been varied and interesting, in my opinion. I quite enjoy her Rumic World and Rumic theater short story collection manga (they were printed so long ago that they're flipped!)

As for Rin-ne, I can't say I've ever really read it. I might've borrowed it from the library years and years ago (like when Viz first started putting out the volumes of it), but I can't honestly say I remember it very much. Kind of seemed another supernatural high school series. Maybe next time I'm in the library, if they have it, I could give it another shot (I'm not really expecting too much, but, eh, who knows?)

I do find it kind of strange that, right from the get go, it seems like America just did not care about Rin-ne one single bit. Inuyasha in particular was huge over here (airing on TV probably helped that quite a bit over Ranma 1/2, which probably would've required heavy censorship to air on TV here because female anatomy scares people apparently). Ranma 1/2 was one of the first manga I ever read, so that still had a good amount of steam going when I got into anime and manga. And Maison Ikkoku and Lum have always had their fans that will eagerly come out of the woodworks whenever the series is mentioned. But Rin-ne? Maybe there were just one too many long running supernatural shonen going on at the same time and it fell by the wayside. It also maybe doesn't help that she hasn't really updated her art significantly over the years, I know newer fans tend to shun things that are too old, and she's been using the same art since the 80s.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Call me selfish but I’d kill to see her re-visit Ranma 1/2. There was so much more story to tell there and the non-ending ending was so vague it basically kickstarted modern fan fiction.

RIN-NE was mostly a victim of bad timing. The shinigami genre was being done to death in the mid-00s and it was totally lost in the shuffle without anything to make it really stand apart. I have so much respect for Takahashi-sensei’s career but it’s been her weakest effort by far.

Maybe she’s run out of original ideas? Who knows. It might do her some good to go back to the well. She’s got an all-time great manga basically sitting there unfinished. If she wants to get back to relevance that would be a prettty easy way to go.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
There's going to be a love story between a couple that's always bickering throughout 90% of the series. The guy is an arrogant dick who will very often provoke his love interest, but the love interest is ill-tempered, assumes the worst out of the guy, and calls him a jerk/pervert even in moments where he didn't provoke her. .

Clearly you haven't read/watched RIN-NE. There's almost no situations like this at all.
Clearly we haven't been reading the same manga, because that's exactly what Rin-Ne has been, just with more window dressing.

I haven't read the manga but for your statement to be true - which I highly doubt - the anime would have to be radically different than the manga. First, Rin-ne can barely be called a love story. True, Rinne has a crush on Sakura which he never confesses (at least he hasn't up to the end of the third season of the anime). There are signs that Sakura is fond of Rinne but she is so emotionally restrained, it's hard to tell if she feels more than just friendship for him. They very rarely bicker. Rinne is very far from being an arrogant dick (mostly he worries about being poor) and he very rarely provokes Sakura and never on purpose. Sakura is basically as far away from being ill-tempered as a human can be. In fact, that's the main gag with her: nothing seems to disrupt her preternatural calm. She doesn't realize that Rinne is in love with her, but in terms of "assuming the worst" of him, the furthest that goes is she sometimes assumes he only hangs around her because she has more money than he does. I don't think I've ever seen her refer to Rinne as a jerk or a pervert.

Again maybe the manga is radically different than how Rinne and Sakura are portrayed in the anime, but I rather doubt it.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote
And there it is, one of my favorite manga series is ending. I gotta say I did not expect it to go on for as long as it did, but Rumiko Takahashi is certainly capable of doing so.
Overall I personally love this manga. It's inferior to most of Takahashi's other works, sure, but to me it still does the job fine.

I can go on and on about how it's such a shame this series gets a bad reputation from Rumiko Takahashi fans because I don't think it deserves it, but I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for creating another wonderful series. Will always remain a loyal fan and I'm curious to know what she'll be up to next.

Now to wait for Viz's translations of volumes 26-40... it's gonna be a long wait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone, ever, can call Sakura Mamiya an ill-tempered girl. You need some temper for that. Razz
And Rinne is not a jerk like Ranma, nor an angst jerk like Inuyasha, and certantly no pervy jerk as Ataru. The only over-used joke about him is "Rinne is too poor".

It's obvious Rinne was a change of pace after the excessiveness of Inuyasha (too much blood, drama, battles) and a return to her previous jobs' slapstick comedy.

In any case, a manga series that reaches 40 volumes and three anime seasons can't be called a "failure" at all.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
I really liked "Kyoukai no Rinne" but I'm glad it finishes, I'm eager to see a new story by Rumiko.
If only they could make a 4th season to introduce Ayame at least, and finish it with the end of the manga.
valoon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
So one of the only Mangas I'm looking forward right now ends. Life has no sense anymore.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Call me selfish but I’d kill to see her re-visit Ranma 1/2. There was so much more story to tell there and the non-ending ending was so vague it basically kickstarted modern fan fiction.

Hear! Hear!

For starters Ranma 1/2 had no ending at all (not even a half-baked attempt) unlike Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku or Inuyasha. Also, the stories were getting more interesting just when it was cancelled.

About Rumiko being too old to do another series, she is rich enough to have other people draw it for her, what we really need to know if she can come out with enough plot for another series.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Zhou-BR: why don't you think the anime won't get a 4th season? Is there not enough material for one?

There's enough material for even a fifth season if they were willing to keep the anime going for that long. However, if NHK had plans for a fourth season, it would have been announced right at the end of the third one, just like the previous two were. Instead, we got an insulting epilogue sequence where the entire supporting cast disrupts yet another nice Rinne/Sakura moment while saying that was the final episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I hadn't picked up on that. You may very well be right in your assumption, but I'm not sure I'll treat that as the last word over whether or not there will be future seasons. But I agree it's not a good sign.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Call me selfish but I’d kill to see her re-visit Ranma 1/2. There was so much more story to tell there and the non-ending ending was so vague.

.....Ranma and Akane pretty much stop the browbeating and ultimately reveal their true feelings to one another, and yes while they don't marry (and hell Ranma and the others don't have their transformations ultimately cured)

The main crux of the story was mostly resolved so I really don't know what more they could do beyond doing something with the supporting cast who I don't think you could do much with.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
... I really don't know what more they could do ...

How about animating the several manga volumes that were not animated and then expanding upon them, let's face it, going back to china to remove the curses is damn easy but no one in the ranma universe has ever done it, maybe it is not so simple or there would be plenty of stories of dumb people that used the drowned girl or boy pool to remove their curses.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I have to laugh on comments here talking "no one cares about Kyoukai no Rinne" as if this means something or have any importance, you know, this is a Japanese series, no one in Japan, much less Rumiko, cares if western people doesn't read or can't appreciate her work, because Japan readers do it, the anime is popular and the manga have decent sales and is running for 8 years, so while here in the internet, Rinne ending is "whatever", for Shonen Sunday and the japanese readers does mean something.

Wishing good luck to Rumiko in his next series Cool
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

How about animating the several manga volumes that were not animated

Well I was under the pretense we were talking about the prospect of continuing the manga but there's too I suppose.

mangamuscle wrote:

and then expanding upon them, let's face it, going back to china to remove the curses is damn easy but no one in the ranma universe has ever done it, maybe it is not so simple or there would be plenty of stories of dumb people that used the drowned girl or boy pool to remove their curses.

As I recall Ranma nearly cured his curse at the end of the series but couldn't do to a storm causing all of the pools to get flooded plus killing the gender bender gimmick of Ranma's character would probably kill his appeal.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Glad to see this is finally going, very mediocre to below average series that was wasting a spot in the magazine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3