• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Traffic Accidents Top List of Causes of Death for Isekai Protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wonder about both the banana and "tanker truck in classroom" cases, too.

Wonder where on the list "So I'm A Spider, So What?" falls, given that it was death due to a dimensional rift caused by a Hero/Demon King battle.

Anyway, this is all just some random person's arbitrary classifications, so we shouldn't expect anything for specifics. Still, it's interesting both as a breakdown and as an indicator of how many of those kind of stories are out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Classic.

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Something I want to be clear about regarding this article: When it says "main characters," is that only the protagonist, or is it all important characters who die and wind up in another world?

For some reason, in discussions about anime and manga, "main character" and "protagonist" are often used interchangeably, whereas, at least based on what I was taught in narratology, a protagonist is a specific type of main character.

"What’s the difference between Hero, Main Character and Protagonist?" is a 7/26/2005 article by a writer named John August. John gives some basic definitions.

The Tumblr blog called The Fairy's Tales has an 4/18/2015 entry called "Natsu and Lucy are both the protagonists of Fairy Tail". It mentions that "Fairy Tail is mainly told in Lucy’s POV, but BOTH Natsu and Lucy are the protagonists.". Likewise, Inuyasha is mainly told through Kagome's POV but she and Inuyasha are both protagonists.

Interesting, so there is some ambiguity between them too, depending on whom you speak to.

Me, the source I had was Story by Robert McKee. I can't quote the book anymore as I no longer have it, but though he doesn't define a "hero," he defines the "protagonist" as the character whom the story is centered around the most, and while there can be multiple protagonists, he says it's very rare (but uses The Seven Samurai as an example of a story in which multiple characters get roughly equal screentime). Using Robert McKee's definition, in Fairy Tail, only Natsu can be the protagonist if you take the entire series as a whole, though there are stories within told from Lucy's point of view in which she would be the protagonist.

McKee defines a "main character" as a character with great importance to the story who cannot easily be replaced with another character without it severely affecting the story. A main character can also be a protagonist, a deuteragonist (Lucy would definitely be the deuteragonist), a tritagonist, a villain, an antagonist, or any other number of character types. He considers it identical to a "primary character." Most stories have at least two main characters but can have many. This is in contrast to a "secondary character," a character who is significant but not important; and a "tertiary character" and "extra," who are mostly there in the background, may interact with a main character sometimes but not often, and are interchangeable.

Since August uses Superman as an example, I'll use the franchise as a whole to further clarify how I have been taught (as I studied narratology in college):
Superman/Clark Kent - Protagonist, hero, main character
Lois Lane - Deuteragonist (depending on how you see it), main character
Lex Luthor - Villain, antagonist, deuteragonist (depending on how you see it), main character
Jimmy Olsen - Tritagonist, hero, main character
Lana Lang - Secondary character
Mom and Pop Clark - Secondary character
Bizarro - Villain, secondary character, antagonist of specific stories
Boss of Daily Planet (forgot his name) - Secondary character
Krypto - Tertiary character (though protagonist of his own series)
Livewire - Villain, tertiary character (because she rarely appears and has limited character potential), antagonist of specific stories
Random people Superman saves - Extras

Say, what would John August define as a "secondary character," as it sounds like from his set of definitions, there can only be one "main character"?
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
lol at Truck-kun.

Quote:
10. God (5 works)

lol I know at least one of them.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Which novel has the protagonist die from a banana? Does he choke on the banana? Slip on a banana peel? Was his home world taken over by mutant bananas? I am very intrigued.

Steins;Gate? Confused

Not sure if other timelines could count as other worlds...

This is not meant to be a direct challange, but I honestly can't think of another anime with a sort of banana induced...relocation? But who puts a banana in a microwave anyway? This guy, apparently.

https://youtu.be/LeVSAnLUXdk

This list presumably includes light novels that haven't been adapted (yet). I, too, want to know the stories behind the most mysterious deaths--Japanese sugar figure, mochi, banana...has anyone been sent to another world from Death by Chocolate? Razz
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
"What’s the difference between Hero, Main Character and Protagonist?" is a 7/26/2005 article by a writer named John August. John gives some basic definitions.
August's ideas seem rather off. "Hero" and "Villain" are morality roles; "Protagonist" and "Antagonist" are Narrative roles; and "Main Character" is just a measure of importance. He is right that the usual tale is constructed around a Hero Protagonist we want to win. However, we can just as easily have the Villain as the Protagonist, rendering the Hero the Antagonist, without changing either's role in the Narrative(and we do indeed see quite a few works where we get to see the Villain's point of view with him still suffering the usual defeat at the hands of the Hero). And then there's the fact we don't always have to root for the Hero: quite a few works have us side with the Villain Protagonist.

Swinging back, works can also easily lack a Hero, a Villain or both. In many cases, the "Environment" takes up the role of the Antagonist; in others, the Protagonist will simply come into conflict without taking up the moral roles. There also exist vignettes that don't have anything to fill the Antagonist role; it might be a side story to flesh out a character who's part of a larger Narrative, but is likely to be some form of independent character study(or Cute Girls Doing Cute Things).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
For a plot twist with the Fuuka manga, how would you feel/react spoiler[upon learning your current girlfriend's dad was the truck driver that fatally hit your first girlfriend?]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
For a plot twist with the Fuuka manga, how would you feel/react spoiler[upon learning your current girlfriend's dad was the truck driver that fatally hit your first girlfriend?]

Well, there's the real-life case of a school bus driver intentionally running over the dog of two of the kids on the bus.

Polycell wrote:
August's ideas seem rather off. "Hero" and "Villain" are morality roles; "Protagonist" and "Antagonist" are Narrative roles; and "Main Character" is just a measure of importance. He is right that the usual tale is constructed around a Hero Protagonist we want to win. However, we can just as easily have the Villain as the Protagonist, rendering the Hero the Antagonist, without changing either's role in the Narrative(and we do indeed see quite a few works where we get to see the Villain's point of view with him still suffering the usual defeat at the hands of the Hero). And then there's the fact we don't always have to root for the Hero: quite a few works have us side with the Villain Protagonist.

Death Note is an excellent example of that, as Light has all the traits of a villain but the story is centered around him (thus making him the protagonist according to McKee's definition of the word) while L, although in a morally gray area, more or less fulfills the role of a hero in the story, but Death Note is told from Light's point of view, and you are encouraged to side with him and see how he overcomes the obstacles placed before him.

Polycell wrote:
Swinging back, works can also easily lack a Hero, a Villain or both. In many cases, the "Environment" takes up the role of the Antagonist; in others, the Protagonist will simply come into conflict without taking up the moral roles. There also exist vignettes that don't have anything to fill the Antagonist role; it might be a side story to flesh out a character who's part of a larger Narrative, but is likely to be some form of independent character study(or Cute Girls Doing Cute Things).

That's why narratologists will frequently use the term "antagonistic force" rather than "antagonist," as what opposes the character(s) we follow is not necessarily another character. This link provides five different types of conflicts that encompass all conflicts in stories:
1. Man vs. Man (one character directly opposes another--most stories are this)
2. Man vs. Nature (may be natural disasters, a hostile environment, or an animal)
3. Man vs. Society (someone who thinks differently or realizes something no one else has)
4. Man vs. Himself (conflict is mostly internal--Greek tragedies often fall here)
5. Man vs. Technology (problems are created through new or high technology)
Some will reduce it down to just three, consisting of Man vs. Man, Nature, and Himself, in which "Nature" is anything nonsentient and unintelligent. In this, Man vs. Society would be part of Man vs. Man (many men...and usually many women too), and Man vs. Technology would be either vs. Man or vs. Nature, depending on if the opposing party is sentient or not.

The term "antagonist" refers to a specific character, and the protagonist cannot also be the antagonist (unless they are split personalities and treated as separate characters, such as in a certain Chuck Palahniuk novel with soap in it that got adapted into a movie), and thus can only apply to Man vs. Man. That being said, most stories are as such (if there is a character you can call a "villain," chances are it's that), but there are enough stories that aren't that eventually, people who study storytelling moved from "antagonist" to "antagonistic force," as the latter can cover all five types. One Punch Man, for instance, is a Man vs. Himself story, as what Saitama is trying to overcome is his feeling that he is incomplete and feels unfulfilled, which is a much more significant conflict for him than the bad guys he fights. (It is also an example of a story with villains without it being Man vs. Man, though it is that for each specific arc). His ennui, then, becomes the antagonistic force.

That being said, there ARE stories with no antagonistic force, which in turn means there is no conflict. I am no viewer of slice-of-life Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime, but I am sure at least some of them have nothing in the way of the characters we follow in any major way that they must overcome.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
AnimeBoy16 wrote:

I just read the first chapter of a manga called "Dungeon Nursery" in which the main character dies from a head injury and gets sent to another world after slipping on a banana peel.

I knew I had read something with banana peel death! Thanks for reminding me it was that.

Anyway, truck-kun needs to work harder.

Meanwhile I feel like the death from overwork stories are increasing which isn't a great sign
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2