• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: WHO's Revised Guide Classifies 'Gaming Disorder' as Mental Health Condition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emdykay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Are the WHO the same people who classified pedophelia as a sexual preference, and then got tons of hate and harassment by people who didn't want it under the same umbrella as homosexuality until they retraced it? It's nice to see a medical diagnostic can change depending on public opinion, so I'll take this with a big grain of salt.

Great, even despite being called out at the start of the thread they just keep going. Not that I´m surprised you are always here for these things like clockwork. Pretty sure the account only exists for disrupting and manipulating discourse.

Your statement is a blatant lie.
Homosexuality has been dropped from the catalogue since 1992 with ICD-10, so it can not even be under the same umbrella as pedophilia, as only one is even classified.
Pedophilia currently is classified in F65 "Disorders of Sexual Preference".
That being said a remodelling of F65 is bound to happen for ICD-11, to better reflect wether atypical sexual behaviour is actually a public health risk or benign, resulting in the drop of some currently classified behaviours and generating new identifiers. Pedophilia itself is not affected by those changes.
There was a discussion about dropping paraphilas from the catalogue altogether, due to legal reasons, meaning wether paraphilas should be matter of law not psychatry, but that was rejected as those remain important to forensics and treatment of such cases in many countries. Nothing about Homosexuality in that line of argumentation nor was it ever public enough to garner such a thing as "public opinion".

And actually staying on topic many people do not seem to realise that this change is only happening to make it possible to get treatment for gaming addiction, something that was technically not possible before, not to generally consider gaming a harmful disorder.
So if you actually have serious issues you can seek out a doctor tell him you have issues with gaming and he can diagnose you accordingly and let you get insurance money for the treatment, because if it is not in the ICD or DSM insurance will probalby say it isn´t a thing and won´t pay. Thus while gaming is not recognized as potential addiction source you can not be granted treatment formally. Notably the ICD is actually not that relevant for the US, which mostly goes by DSM.
No one is going to submit you to a mental hospital for pulling an allnighter on that new game you were waiting for...

Last edited by Emdykay on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
What a load of rubbish, if anything it would be classed as an addiction
Emdykay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
What a load of rubbish, if anything it would be classed as an addiction

It is.
The whole "gaming disorder" is just a matter of terminology.

Quote:
The guide lists gaming disorder as part of a subset of "mental, behavioural or neurodevelopmental disorders" that are "due to addictive behaviours."
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:31 am Reply with quote
Gaming per se is not a bad thing, but when you spend a lot of money that you don't necessarily have, or you end up flunking school/college due to it, that's where it becomes an addiction. So I'll be the one with the impopular opinion, but I agree with the article.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
I know that gaming addiction is a real life phenomenon, but the issue is that the criteria is horrifically vague. A lot of otherwise healthy videogamers might be deemed to have a mental disease. For example, it seems like prioritizing video games over anything is grounds for having the disorder. To fill that criteria, all you would have to do would be to procrastinate homework for the sake of videogames.It might cause paranoia among parents whose kids only play about 4 hours a day, a meager amount for anyone who has gaming as a major hobby.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
This is a easy problem to fix just get rid of ea, activsion, blizzard, konami and every other gaming corporation that shoves micro transactions and loot boxes down our throats and not only will everyone be healthier but they will be happier as well. Very Happy

Last edited by AnimeLordLuis on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Well I admit I have a lot of mental health problems, but I don't think my gaming habits are one of them. Do I play a lot? Yeah I do. Like a LOT? Yeah I do. Just ask Dragon Age: Inquisition (I have well over 1000 hours in that one alone, and then there's Origins and 2...), and I'm still playing World of Warcraft for some ungodly reason (started a month after the original release...yeah been a LONG time with that old hat), and thats just the tip of the iceberg. But gaming and anime are my stress relievers. I manage to hold a steady job, feed myself and my family (husband and cats) properly, get out to see movies I want to see...

I understand I might not be exactly who WHO is directing this at, but I do game a LOT. I manage to keep a steady grasp on my life, even with my depression and anxiety, and if I didn't have games or anime, I'd be in a much worse place than I am now. I just don't want to end up being judged because of stuff like this...that will just make my ACTUAL mental problems worse.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
I think we need to make something clear here. A lot of you are upset about it, but this is a tool for those diagnosing anyone who comes in for help. No one is going out and diagnosing people on a whim or saying a lot of gaming is bad.

As a disorder, that means it has to affect or cripple your ability to live. If you play 10 hours of games a day, but you still work part time, sleep, eat, and have good hygene, etc., you're fine. If playing 10 hours a day affects your ability to do school, sleep, eat, etc., then you can be diagnosed. If you spend hundreds of dollars on gaming, but you're able to supplement it with your paycheck without skimping on money for food, shelter, etc., you're fine. If you don't make enough money to supplement your gaming habits, though, you can be diagnosed.

The only time someone can get diagnosed without seeking help is if they commit a crime and are evaluated, with the gaming disorder being decided as a part of the motivation or origin of the act. Even then, it'll up to the person or guardian to seek professional help.

None of this is saying gaming is harmful to everyone. It is saying that gaming can be an addiction, and with this specific diagnosis, they can research and treat this particular disorder much more realistically instead of grouping it together with something else that may or may not be as accurate. Someone with addiction issues could get into games or gambling, but once they're in, the strategies to get them out of such bad habits would vary from person to person.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Ths is ridiclious man, i play video games on 1 hour so i isn't that too long to me.

(sorry for my poor English)
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not upset per se. It's more like I'm worried that those around me who know that I game a LOT are going to pull me aside and ask me if 'I'm ok' after seeing something like this. That will only serve to make my actual mental issues worse for me. I tend to dwell on stuff for a long time, and if something like that were to happen, it would affect me.

Now will my particular worry actually happen? Most likely not. But the thought is now in my head, and it will live there for a while.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I think we need to make something clear here. A lot of you are upset about it, but this is a tool for those diagnosing anyone who comes in for help. No one is going out and diagnosing people on a whim or saying a lot of gaming is bad.

As a disorder, that means it has to affect or cripple your ability to live. If you play 10 hours of games a day, but you still work part time, sleep, eat, and have good hygene, etc., you're fine. If playing 10 hours a day affects your ability to do school, sleep, eat, etc., then you can be diagnosed. If you spend hundreds of dollars on gaming, but you're able to supplement it with your paycheck without skimping on money for food, shelter, etc., you're fine. If you don't make enough money to supplement your gaming habits, though, you can be diagnosed.

The only time someone can get diagnosed without seeking help is if they commit a crime and are evaluated, with the gaming disorder being decided as a part of the motivation or origin of the act. Even then, it'll up to the person or guardian to seek professional help.

None of this is saying gaming is harmful to everyone. It is saying that gaming can be an addiction, and with this specific diagnosis, they can research and treat this particular disorder much more realistically instead of grouping it together with something else that may or may not be as accurate. Someone with addiction issues could get into games or gambling, but once they're in, the strategies to get them out of such bad habits would vary from person to person.

Excellent summary and explanation. Thank you for writing this!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
You might as well add chocoholic while you're at it. Rolling Eyes

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
People can be addicted to anything, I saw a documentary about a guy who was addicted to maple syrup (and not even the real kind that comes out of trees).

You might, at that--
It's all about whatever provides Endorphins and/or Adrenaline to the brain, artificially or naturally, and what happens when the rush to get them becomes more important than anything else.
"Naturally" would fall under the category of gambling, thrill-seeking, shopping, or anything with a high sugar content, leaving aside those natural brain stimulants found in chocolate.

A gambler or thrill-seeker thinks he has control over his life, a shopaholic convinces herself she does, but a gamer knows he doesn't, and spends as much or more time working out those issues through his one pet brain-soothing outlet as the gambler, thrill-seeker or alcoholic.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
There is no specific "Gaming Disorder." There are, however, such mental health conditions as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and Clinical Depression. Playing video games to the point where it's detrimental to one's health should be seen as a symptom of a deeper underlying problem, not the problem itself.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
There is no specific "Gaming Disorder." There are, however, such mental health conditions as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and Clinical Depression. Playing video games to the point where it's detrimental to one's health should be seen as a symptom of a deeper underlying problem, not the problem itself.

This isn't wrong per say, but this diagnosis isn't going to undermine overall treatment. As I mentioned before, it's fine to thing vaguely in terms of someone having issues with addiction, but if the medical field is having trouble treating people with gaming-specific addictions, putting a specific classifier on it will allow the professionals to justify perscribing more effective medicines that tackle the specific addiction mindset that goes into gaming or, more effectively (for most), encourage specific types of mindsets that can fight against the urges to play games for more than a few hours or spend too much on them.

Treating addiction as the overall problem works as a simplistic model, and some people certainly benefit more from this, but an addiction to gambling can also be treated differently from an addiction to alcohol or drugs or impulse buying, etc. The more we know about the specifics, the better we can treat someone.

Not to mention, scientific research can also progress in general on the topic, too. It's hard enough to find people to volunteer to say, "I'm in the control group of someone who plays too many games", but if you have a specific diagnosis tied to it, it makes collecting data less muddy and personal. Non-personal data can be gathered on individual cases.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
i've never heard of WHO but they seem like a joke
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3