• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Worst First Kisses in Anime [2018-08-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
Noragami's Hiyori stolen first kiss
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:01 am Reply with quote
I wondered about the one in Naruto too, but compared to the ones that made the list, that one happened more or less by accident. The ones on the list are basically one party forcing themselves on the other in some way, or in the case of the last one, ends in a (unintentionally hilariously) tragic outcome despite both participants being willing.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
Oh, don't even go there. It was spoiler[rape, pure and simple]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Oh THE BEE GUTS KISS WAS THE BEST!!! Laughing

I was laughing so freaking hard. Laughing Bless that series

@Nordhammer: THAT WAS NOT OKAY. lol
TheSupremeXtream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Where tf was Naruto and Sasuke?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

This about my joke about poor Riku from Blood+? I admit it was in very poor taste...in my defense, I first saw that scene on Youtube in a context of "unintentional hilarity," but more seriously spoiler[a lot of people rightly praised the show for *not* making light of violence against boys/male rape within the context of the show.] All too often, media does treat sexual assault against men or even boys as "actually desired" or humorous, and Blood+ definitely didn't do that, treating its subject as horrifying in context, and they deserve credit for that.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

This about my joke about poor Riku from Blood+? I admit it was in very poor taste...in my defense, I first saw that scene on Youtube in a context of "unintentional hilarity," but more seriously spoiler[a lot of people rightly praised the show for *not* making light of violence against boys/male rape within the context of the show.] All too often, media does treat sexual assault against men or even boys as "actually desired" or humorous, and Blood+ definitely didn't do that, treating its subject as horrifying in context, and they deserve credit for that.

I was talking about that, aye. And you're right. Men are usually laughed at when they're the victims. Heck, look at Terry Crews. Poor dude.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, Kemonozume was 12 years ago?! I remember this scene pretty vividly...
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
Will always hate the Dio one. He's officially one of my favorite characters to hate on. As for Naruto, yeah I would count that accident of a kiss. Very Happy Ranma, I'll count both those kisses.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
To me, I consider Nadia to be one of the worst examples of a first kiss. Instead of treating it as a genuine turning point in the relationship of the protagonists, the only reason it happens at all is because of some stupid incident involving mushrooms and bad character writing. Worse still, there is actually a kiss shown in the subsequent episode which is well done (unlike the offscreen first one)... but the writers decide to flip both characters back to square one afterward. There have been very few "first kisses" in Anime that have infuriated me as badly as this one. Take out the whole thing involving mushrooms and temper tantrums as well as deliriousness in addition to character derailments and that would have been much better. But it gets my vote for being the worst treatment of a first kiss I've ever seen in Anime.

But yeah, the Evangelion first kiss between Shinji and Asuka qualifies too, although at least unlike Nadia, it is, sort of, a genuine part of the turning point in the relationship between those two... albeit for different reasons. It sends both on a downward spiral, and in some ways contributes to Asuka's psychological breakdown. It still doesn't make that scene any less depressing, but at least it's done more organically and like genuine character development (in the nasty sense) as opposed to being a nasty, pointless tease that turns out to have no result whatsoever.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Holy crap, Kemonozume was 12 years ago?! I remember this scene pretty vividly...

Well, stuff like that tends to stick with you.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Saya enters a strange trance only to awaken covered in blood. Not exactly a memory for the scrapbook.

Sadly a common experience for many of us.
Xavon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
The kiss in the last episode of School Days is pretty damn brutal. spoiler[Makoto dumps Sekai who's pregnant with his child and starts making out with Kotonoha right in front of her.]

[Spoiler tags added ~Zalis]

How is that a first kiss? I'm not familiar with the show, but given the spoiled circumstances and what I do know, I doubt the mentioned kiss was anyone's first.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
This is why someone needs to release 'Kemonozume'. I've mentioned that kiss to people and the one reaction I get is that they start cringing. There quite a few people that have never seen any other works my Yuasa outside of what gets screened or announced. But I'll admit it is the worse kiss ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2