• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Sound! Euphonium Season 1 for Digital Purchase

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Ambrose7 wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
Seriously annoyed by FUNimation keeping the rights to certain series but refusing to do a physical release of them giving a huge middle finger to fans. I own the first three seasons of Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya that Sentai put out but I can't buy the physical version of the 4th season to complete my collection because FUNimation doesn't give a shit. It's actually a bit depressing since it's been over 2 years and it doesn't look like they'll ever do a physical release for those series...

Blame Ponycan not Funimation.

What does Ponycan have to do with this? FUNimation currently has the rights and is choosing not to put out a physical release.

They don't have the home video rights.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:20 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

What does Ponycan have to do with this? FUNimation currently has the rights and is choosing not to put out a physical release.

only these digital distribution rights. Its Cruchyroll that has the show due to the Kadokawa deal they had a while back.
Yep, that season of Prisma Illya is in Crunchyroll's hands because of this.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-11/crunchyroll-kadokawa-announce-partnership/.100932

Crunchyroll now gets home video rights to their stuff these days, and the partnership with FUNimation means FUNi distributes stuff, with CR being the publisher. If you see both the CR and FUNi logos on a release, that means FUNimation is simply the distributor, not the one with the actual rights. The same goes for those Discotek releases that had the CR logo on them, Discotek was distributing stuff CR had home video rights to.

Not sure why people are making a big deal out of this news story. FUNimation just has digital rights to these shows in the article, not home video. While things can be bundled together, they can also be separate. Remember when FUNimation had DVD rights to Baccano!, while years later Aniplex USA got Blu-ray rights? You can also have different companies handling digital and home video.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2