• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Conception?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Surprised by the general negative reception to this, I haven't seen anything bad in the show so far and found the trolling from the first episode with the ritual to the revelation of what happens in the next rather funny.

Fun setup, caring main character, fab and lovely array of unique girls, interesting stories for each of the girls, loving it so far. Have no problem with them not having actual sex, doesn't need to, is sexy enough without it.

My only complaint is I'd like each girl to get a full episode, what we're getting is good and gives us enough insight into the girls personality and backgrounds but some feel could be a bit more fleshed out.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Now I'm curious! What happened in yesterdays episode???

spoiler[Yesterday's episode was focusing on Collette the Aquarius maiden who own a bakery and the rich young lady, Femiruna the Leo maiden, it started with Itsuki helping Collette in the hope of getting closer to her but he quickly noticed that Collette's bakery wasn't popular even though her pastries's tasted isn't lacking, the reason is a competitor that sell a less expensive and larger selection is trying to buy Collette's store using chimpira-like characters as a means of pressure, these guys ended up being nothing but apparence so Itsuki decide to speak directly to Femiruna whose father own this so-called competitor. While argumenting Itsuki unintentionnaly hurts Femiruna who loses consciousness then end up kidnapping her and encloses her in the bakery reserve ( it wasn't even close in fact ). Itsuki while wearing a mask tried to fed Femiruna with Collette's pastries for days but fearing it to be poisoned she wouldn't touch it until the very last moment. In the end, because of Itsuki taking care of her during the custody, Femiruna end up with a stockholm's syndrome, fell in love with him and made a Star Children together, meanwhile Collette went back and forth from the reserve to her bakery while never spotted by her. ]
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Can This Week In Anime cover "My Sister, My Writer" next? Wanting to see them roast the show's QUALITY animation. Hehehe...
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Wait, they don't even have sex?! What's the friggin' [/i]point[/i]?!

I saw the first episode out of curiosity. It was mostly bland. Like it was supposed to be a hentai, but had to get around censors or something. I do agree with Rahzel Rose that the show deserves credit for showing that Itsuki cares about the girls' comfort levels. Anime seems to have two extremes of ecchi protag guys: the boy who's too awkward or timid to even ask and gets all his ecchi moments by accident (while the girls' are *hilariously* (:eyeroll:) offended and are portrayed as the butt of the joke and/or violent and unreasonable) or the boy who's brazen and cocky and neither asks nor apologizes and couldn't care less if a girl slaps him or runs away. It's nice to see a boy who's neither freaked out by the opposite sex nor inconsiderate of his partners.

But, again, why aren't they having sex if the point is Conception?

OrdepNM wrote:
I'm going to assume this one was written before yesterday's episode because oh boy does that one go off the reservation, even for this show's already sketchy standards.

Now I'm curious! What happened in yesterdays episode???

spoiler[He woos one of the girls literally with Stockholm Syndrome - he accidentally knocks her over and she gets knocked out and Mana's idea is to keep her imprisoned so she depends on the MC to feed her and take care of her and then she likes him enough to *notfuck* him to make a star child. It's only not disturbing because the MC is (not surprisingly) [expletive] awful at it and there are some really good visual gags - including that the other chick keeps coming in and out of the storeroom since it's her bakery, so she obviously isn't THAT imprisoned.]

Also another thought - isn't this whole thing just advertisement for a game? I'm assuming it's going to have an English release and that's why Funi is dubbing it. Kind of like with Island? (Another terrible show that didn't deserve a simuldub).

It is an advertisement for a game! Specifically, the remake of the first Conception game, which never got a Western release.
https://www.dualshockers.com/jrpg-conception-plus-announced-exclusively-ps4-first-trailer-revealed/

The remake's due this Winter 2019, so the anime's just there to build up interest for people to buy the game. No doubt the TV advertisement space during the anime's broadcast on Japan's TV channels are just shamelessly promoting the remake.

(PS. I remember watching an episode of Marksman and Vanadis on Japanese TV during a trip there. All the adspace during the broadcast were dedicated to promoting sales of the light novel, upcoming Blurays and other merchandise.)
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
One of these covering Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai I think I would like. It's easily among the most popular shows of the season, but I don't see much discussion on it aside from "Mai Best Girl" or "Mai x Sakuta is the OTP of the year" which is fun, but doesn't do much to stimulate the part of me that is incredibly engrossed in it's themes and ideas.

Not to say roasting on the TOTS (Trainwreck Of The Season) can't be fun however, and it's partly why I and many others would like to see My Sister, My Writer, a show that would be otherwise bland, inoffensive, and overall late by about 10 years if it weren't for the...technical issues.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Anything that makes me throw up when I'm high can't be good for me. This makes the list of exactly two things so far that are so bad I throw up when high (the other one is canadian musicians). Now, I've carefully reviewed Teh Rules and I think I'm ok with this one. Note: it's ten times more fun reading Teh Rules while pretending they are being shouted at you by Yuuna Yunohana.

Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The Conception anime is what you would get if you told the creators of South Park to make a harem anime that could be broadcast on network TV. The anime goes out of the way to be absurd and provocative. While the comedy varies from episode to episode I think that Conception is the second funniest comedy of the season. It is going to shock some people since the comedy goes further than what is typical for a harem anime but if you like shows with an edge than it is worth a try. The most noticeable issue with Conception is that with a harem of 12 women the story is rushed since the average character arc is done in half an episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Too bad they just missed out on talking about spoiler[Stockholm syndrome love interest].
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
Is Shitsekai a recognized genre yet?...I'd think this fits perfectly.
Seriously, if this, Smartphone and Deathmarch (latter two I actually liked but seems most people hated) don't cause people to catch on, it ain't happening! If bad isekai shows keep coming, at some point I think people will have to call them something other than isekai...BTW, kuso, ben and daiben are Japanese for "shit/excrement" according to Romajidesu so maybe bensekai as short for "ben no isekai"?? 便世界 you can say you heard it here first!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2