• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime for Grown-Up Romantics [2019-02-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Whoever added Earth-chan to the poll, shame on you. Earth-chan is not a sidekick.

I went for Friender, although my favorite Friender is the pre-Sins "FRIENDAAAAAAR JET!!" one.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
As I understand it, the problem is that Yuri don't complete romance about relationships, but rather a sports show with romance as important subplot. As you can see, all the shows mentioned had romance and adult relationships as the main focus of the story.

Maybe. I'm not sure Tatami Galaxy fits that description, though; the romance angle is more of a plot device to drive the... extremely dense and surreal coming-of-age thing that it does. Yuri on Ice (seemingly, haven't gotten around to watching it, please don't kill me) has a pretty major romantic focus even though it's technically a sports anime; kind of in the realm of Your Lie In April, technically about music but really about romance. A more likely explanation is that all the shows listed are ones current anime fans might not have heard of, while literally all fans of anime and/or ice skating know about Yuri. The "The List" series tends to focus on less-mainstream shows.

The main thing I'm confused about here is how Emma, of all things, was made into a two-season anime. One of the least memorable things I had to read in English class, but apparently it's popular even in Japan. Guess it's one of those things I'm never going to understand.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, can't really vote for the robot "side-kick" poll, too many fully-fledged characters. Nano Shinonome....Android 18. I was about to vote for Mechazawa but even he is just another character in the ensemble who happens to be a robot.... or sometimes a motorcycle.
I considered adding NB from Tenchi GXP... but no one really likes NB. Even those rare people like myself who actually like the show don't like NB.

Sorry though guys, Clannad may end with the characters being grown up but it is still a teen romance. Just too dependent ob the teen years.

And NANA? Maybe if White Album is included but damn... is there an actual GOOD romance anywhere in the show? The only one I can think of is Hachi's first boyfriend and the girl he ended up with... and that was happy mainly because they were mercifully written out of that train-wreck.

In a way I'd agree Recovery of a MMO Junkie should be on the list. Except I also support blacklisting the show for reasons I won't include in this thread. research if you want- but it's not discussion fit for this thread.It's my personal view- leave it at that.

Possible others? I guess Skip Beat could qualify. In a very funky way ReLife is an adult romance.... reliant on teens....maybe too Sci--Fi though.Servant X Service is a good comedy with adult romance- not sure if it rates really high though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reedfly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
There is a pretty good romance called Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san. This isn’t about adults, I know, but there is a manga sequel about it’s main characters’ lives as adults, which is just as good. Not to mention that the second season should be coming out this month and there’s a possibility of it being about their adult lives. Check it out Smile
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
As I understand it, the problem is that Yuri don't complete romance about relationships, but rather a sports show with romance as important subplot. As you can see, all the shows mentioned had romance and adult relationships as the main focus of the story.

Yeah, that was what I was trying to say. Laughing There's an adult romance in the show but it's not the main plot, or at most you could argue it shares that with the figure skating stuff. In all of these shows afaik romance is the main plot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I would add Ai Yori Aoshi to the list. The romance between Kaoru and Aoi is the main focus with the comedy acting as way to get the show from one serious moment to the next. It's also similar to Oh My Goddess in that while multiple girls might seek out the attention and romance from the MC there's never any question as to who he likes. Ai Yori Aoshi also I think had a more complete evolution of the romance itself. Especially if you finished the series via the manga.
j_plex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

In a way I'd agree Recovery of a MMO Junkie should be on the list. Except I also support blacklisting the show for reasons I won't include in this thread. research if you want- but it's not discussion fit for this thread.It's my personal view- leave it at that.

Possible others? I guess Skip Beat could qualify. In a very funky way ReLife is an adult romance.... reliant on teens....maybe too Sci--Fi though.Servant X Service is a good comedy with adult romance- not sure if it rates really high though.

MMO Junkie and Wotokai probably didn't make it because the list was notably devoid of otaku bait, which I consider to be a strength. Can RaphXephon qualify since the female lead is an adult?

I was going to list Servant Times Service also but didn't because it ended so quickly that the romances were never developed. The main couple romance never actually started! If that series had gotten a second cour it would have definitely qualified.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked to see a character from Dokkoida!? But, from the list, you can't beat the tachikomas.

A recent romance anime i enjoyed a lot was Natsuyuki Rendezvous.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
Dang.... I kept looking at the top seven to see if Wotakoi was on the list.... Shame it's not.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
I'm not really much for romance anime, but Emma was just really, really good!

Golden Time would have been so much better if they didn't let the amnesia angle ride the plot in the second half.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

The main thing I'm confused about here is how Emma, of all things, was made into a two-season anime. One of the least memorable things I had to read in English class, but apparently it's popular even in Japan. Guess it's one of those things I'm never going to understand.

Are you perhaps confusing it with Jane Austen's 1816 novel Emma? Because the only thing Kaoru Mori's manga shares with it is the title. Smile (And I fully agree with you if you do mean the Austen novel - easily my least favorite of her books and I can't stand the title character.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
spoiler[And don't get me started about the end of Ah! My Goddess--Heaven's smothering of Keiichi's sex drive, with Bell's full awareness, infuriated me to no end. I would have kicked Bell to the curb then and there--but that's not the story Fujishima-sensei was telling. And as a devoted reader, having to wait twenty years to come to that!]
I thought I was the only one who thought that. Also that volume had all the hallmarks of a rushed "okay-I'm-fed-up-with-this" crash out ending that also left me wondering why I wasted my time and money buying it, and with Fujishima's recent experience with marrage and child birth he can't say he just didn't know how to properly end it. Rolling Eyes

Another one what should be on the list is Bokura Ga Ita especially if one completes it through the manga.
hack5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
I am sorry I do not agree Emma that show should not be first,I don't mind the show is on the list but as number 1 nah.... why,because of the main character she was like a cardboard box fill with nothingness she doesn't say a world she just stands around being love by everyone I did not feel any romance from her at all when almost ever man she come across falls in love with her for whatever reason she just there with this bland stupid expression not saying anything or doing anything as a reviewer said like a mindless puppet.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:06 am Reply with quote
I was completely into Golden Time...until the ending.

spoiler[The entire series was pretty much built on Banri and LINDA'S relationship. He got amnesia because he fell a off bridge waiting for her, was the reason he even went to college in Tokyo in the first place, the party in the club, all the flashbacks, her lying about her confession answer, his reaction when he found out, and let's not forget HE WOULD HAVE GOT INTO A CAR CRASH IF IT WASN'T FOR HER MEMORY! Koko was fine, but she and Banri's relationship felt completely superficial compared to the storyline going on with Linda.

The best moment in the entire show was Banri and Linda's fight in the club room when she confessed that she would start over if she had the chance...only for her to get that chance and do nothing with it when he got his memories back.

Then there's Banri's jerk friends who kept guilt-tripping him for "forgetting Koko" despite the fact that he HAD AMNESIA!

It would have been fine if the series ending was open. Koko comes to Banri's house, he doesn't fully remember her but he lets her and they both chill with Linda.

Instead we got that incredibly rushed ending where Linda hugged a ghost or whatever and they just sort of shipped her off with Mitsuo who was basically just there with nothing to do since Chinami curved him.]
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote
Lmao, I was wondering what the hell is Step-Up Love Story and it turns out it was Futari Ecchi. For the effin' heavens, who the hell translates or even make this westerner counter-titles? It's beyond super horrible sense. But whatever...

I've seen all listed titles, and well, like a normal reader, I have my gripes. I would switch Fune wo Amu (again with a horrible western title The Great Passage as per wikipedia) with Futari Ecchi given the content since all the other title listed are a bit more of a safe title and FE is definitely one NSFW series. Or maybe Skip Beat and Ristorante Paradiso. There's also Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Nodame Cantabile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4