• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is We Never Learn: BOKUBEN Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry that this is unrelated to the anime, but I can't wait until people quit using the word "yikes" as a go-to reaction for something they find problematic, particularly sexually.
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I think they were a bit too harsh on sensei. And no, she does not have the hots yet for Oatmeal-kun as far as I remember. She does a fine contrast with Asumi, as she seems to have it together but actually is a klutz in her personal life while Asumi looks like she could be a middle school student but she's has it together.

Nick said:
Quote:
"And frankly, the fact that Yuiga doesn't immediately ask her out after that is proof that he's the biggest moron in this whole show."

Let's be real, if he did that, he wouldn't be Oatmeal-kun. I think harem shows are not suited for these two.

Gray Lensman said:
Quote:
"Personally, I despise the "punch first, ask never" characters that appear too often in harem shows and can't understand the appeal."

I share your sentiments. The worst one is Louise from Familiar of Zero. I was only able to finish it due to the fact the MC had a cool gimmick going on with his power and all other girls were Best Girl™.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I like the show and am buying the manga. It’s a typical harem, and the lead is definitely boring. I don’t watch harems for the guy though, so whatever. I knew my tastes were way different than the authors of this when they started heaping praise on Fumino. I just don’t like her. She’s boring to me. I’m not sure why. I like Uruka the most, so maybe I just have bad taste Laughing
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:
I think they were a bit too harsh on sensei. And no, she does not have the hots yet for Oatmeal-kun as far as I remember. She does a fine contrast with Asumi, as she seems to have it together but actually is a klutz in her personal life while Asumi looks like she could be a middle school student but she's has it together.

Nick said:
Quote:
"And frankly, the fact that Yuiga doesn't immediately ask her out after that is proof that he's the biggest moron in this whole show."

Let's be real, if he did that, he wouldn't be Oatmeal-kun. I think harem shows are not suited for these two.

Gray Lensman said:
Quote:
"Personally, I despise the "punch first, ask never" characters that appear too often in harem shows and can't understand the appeal."

I share your sentiments. The worst one is Louise from Familiar of Zero. I was only able to finish it due to the fact the MC had a cool gimmick going on with his power and all other girls were Best Girl™.

That's the one that ruined the character type for me. When even the semi-evil lesbian who doesn't understand the meaning of the word consent is a better girl you know the main one is terrible. The thing that makes Familiar of Zero so terrible is that the metaplot is pretty good and every other girl in the show has a different and legitimate reason to fall for the protagonist outside of "protag-kun is just soooo nice!"
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
As a romantic comedy harem show it is fairly good. I do find it interesting when people say that the protagonist of a harem show doesn't have much charisma since most of the time they are meant to be relatable. The last harem show I have seen with a charismatic protagonist was Trinity Seven.

Gray Lensman wrote:
Part of what makes people like one show and not another is always personal taste. Some people are turned off when the plot is driven by fanservice, others not so much.

I would guess that for the vast majority of people watching harem shows that fanservice is a feature and not a bug. With recent shows such as Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs I think that We Never Learn is fairly moderate for a harem show.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
tl;dr not for the last time. You could have completed your report on this anime in two word balloons. 90% of them were wasted and I only glanced at the pictures. I guess you have to qualify your paychecks, though. You do get paid for this gig, don't you?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
Tropes are tropes because they are oatmeal for the mind. Quick to make and easy to digest. Not everything has to be Earth shatteringly original. Sometimes oatmeal is what you want to eat.

Good thing I don't eat oatmeal outside of Oatmeal Cookies Razz

Takkun4343 wrote:
Sorry that this is unrelated to the anime, but I can't wait until people quit using the word "yikes" as a go-to reaction for something they find problematic, particularly sexually.

:cringe: is still around.

gridsleep wrote:
90% of them were wasted and I only glanced at the pictures. I guess you have to qualify your paychecks, though. You do get paid for this gig, don't you?

Much like you could've just ignored the article and commenting on it just to complain about it for no reason?

But I guess you gotta do something to bump up that post count.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:21 am Reply with quote
I definitely don't mind the design choice, but I do have to wonder as well why Uruka has that swimsuit tan.
As was mentioned, the pool is indoors, but not only that, none of the other swim team members have a tan! If she had a regular tan, you could say she works out outside (like running), but since it's clearly her swimsuit, then she would have to find a place to swim outside (basically year round) instead of or in addition to swimming at school and always by herself (or at least without the other swim club members).
borisdrakoni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I definitely don't mind the design choice, but I do have to wonder as well why Uruka has that swimsuit tan.
As was mentioned, the pool is indoors, but not only that, none of the other swim team members have a tan! If she had a regular tan, you could say she works out outside (like running), but since it's clearly her swimsuit, then she would have to find a place to swim outside (basically year round) instead of or in addition to swimming at school and always by herself (or at least without the other swim club members).

Simple, it's not actually a tan. Uruka just suffers from a constant mild friction burn due to swimming at ludicrous speed.

Personally, I don't think that the anime is too bad. Some of the manga content that didn't make it into the adaptation would have raised the comedy and character development to a higher level than the show gives us, but at the end of the day if you enjoy the typical girl(s) of the week romantic sitcom style of storytelling then it is still plenty entertaining.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
Yup its a Harem/Rom-Com.

You like them or you don't at this point.
You also know what your getting into with Harem series, the usual complaints about tired tropes and character types... *sigh* It's a Harem/Rom-Com.

As for fanservice, I think ANN pretty much grabbed all the examples in this article. When I think of over the top Fan Service I think of High School DxD or To Love Ru. In comparison this series is very tame, so tame that Fan Service doesn't even register.. but again its a Harem/Rom-Com.

As for the MC.... again the usual trope bland and boring. At least this guy has his own motivations driving him which has zero to do with the Harem. Which is more then I can say for other MC's from this genre.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

me too.Every time when someone does that I completely lose interest in what he has to say and I would probably hate just being in the same room as said person...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Nick wrote:
but neither is it as reprehensibly awful as any given Ken Akamatsu anime.

Okay, I realize they're not winning any awards outside of genre fans, but "reprehensibly awful," really? Are they truly any more offensive than the likes of Green Green, Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Qwaser of Stigmata, Recently My Sister is Unusual, Astarotte's Toy, School Days, or Late 2010s Seasonal Isekai Slave Harem LN Commercial #41? Love Hina and Negima '05 actively toned down the amount of fanservice from the manga, while Negima '06 is more of an "inspired by Negima" story that adds copious SHAFTiness to the proceedings. UQ Holder! was a mess (and did add some fanservice where the manga held back), sure, but that was more from trying to cover 14 volumes of manga story in 12 episodes than anything else.

And not too long ago, another Nick described Akamatsu's style thusly:

Quote:
Ken Akamatsu's fanservice generally adheres to what now feels like a somewhat quaint style of titillation. Instead of the overtly, outrageously horny setups of something like Monster Musume, there's just a whole lot of panty flashes, suggestive angles, and sudden undressings in the middle of otherwise unrelated scenes [...] it's worth pointing out that Akamatsu's style is still its own kind of chaste.

Everyone's welcome to their opinions, but the Akamatsu namedrop in this chat nonetheless read like a cheapshot out of left field.
realsmart987

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Preface: this is just my opinion.

IRL I like to help someone understand something whatever the topic is and WNL showed that. Whereas QQ looks like it took the premise and stripped out the actual tutoring part.

One of the things I liked was WNL gave real study tips that fit each girl's academic weakness in the manga. These study tips were sort of mentioned in the anime but not as much. Whereas in QQ there was no studying and when it was it was just some vague "and then they studied" scene. That's what made me drop QQ.

There was more focus on the premise than on being a harem in WNL. I liked that. I started the series because of the premise, not because it was a harem. That premise not being just tutoring in general but the fact that the girls had one academic strength and they needed a different one.

I forced myself to read QQ vol. 1-2 and episode 1 then dropped it. Maybe its because I discovered WNL first as a manga before either anime came out.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Nick wrote:
but neither is it as reprehensibly awful as any given Ken Akamatsu anime.

Okay, I realize they're not winning any awards outside of genre fans, but "reprehensibly awful," really? Are they truly any more offensive than the likes of Green Green, Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Qwaser of Stigmata, Recently My Sister is Unusual, Astarotte's Toy, School Days, or Late 2010s Seasonal Isekai Slave Harem LN Commercial #41? Love Hina and Negima '05 actively toned down the amount of fanservice from the manga, while Negima '06 is more of an "inspired by Negima" story that adds copious SHAFTiness to the proceedings. UQ Holder! was a mess (and did add some fanservice where the manga held back), sure, but that was more from trying to cover 14 volumes of manga story in 12 episodes than anything else.

Agreed on this. Ken Akamatsu's anime adaptations are nothing to write home about, several I would even consider outright bad, but certainly not what I would call "reprehensible" by any stretch of the imagination. When you look at what's come out in the best several years, it makes question why his works would be used as an example for bottom-of-the-barrel trash.

realsmart987 wrote:
Preface: this is just my opinion.

IRL I like to help someone understand something whatever the topic is and WNL showed that. Whereas QQ looks like it took the premise and stripped out the actual tutoring part.

One of the things I liked was WNL gave real study tips that fit each girl's academic weakness in the manga. These study tips were sort of mentioned in the anime but not as much. Whereas in QQ there was no studying and when it was it was just some vague "and then they studied" scene. That's what made me drop QQ.

The studying and tutoring part of Quints was always just a means to an end to explore the personalities and relationships between the characters. That's why it's not as important as in something like BokuBen, where it's integral to the themes of the manga.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Agreed on this. Ken Akamatsu's anime adaptations are nothing to write home about, several I would even consider outright bad, but certainly not what I would call "reprehensible" by any stretch of the imagination. When you look at what's come out in the best several years, it makes question why his works would be used as an example for bottom-of-the-barrel trash.

Allow me to explain my reasoning:

Ken Akamatsu is a chicken-hearted cad and ninnyhammer and one day I will personally challenge him to a fist fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3