• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Teases Possible License of Paranoia Agent Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's an SD digipaint show from the mid-2000s, so I wouldn't expect anything amazing. PA did get a Blu-Ray release in Japan, and from what I've heard, it's at least a passable upscale. Hopefully we get that instead of a different encode that winds up being worse than DVD.

Funimation has a pretty good track record when it comes to upscales. Their second upscale of Samurai Champloo was also used in Japan. They also did their own upscale of FLCL episode 1 that was miles better than the smeary Japanese one, but may have been told by the licensor not to use anything other than the one Japan had.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
My Geneon singles are probably the most treasured gem of my entire collection given their scarcity now, but I'm super-pumped that everyone will have the chance to own this all-time masterpiece again.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Great news! I was beginning to wonder if Paranoia Agent would ever see the light of day again. About time it was made available for a new generation of fans.

Raaiiyaa ra ra i yo ra
a magnificent mushroom cloud in the sky
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I bought Geneon's old DVDs at fire-sale prices and have been waiting for Funimation or some other company to rescue Paranoia Agent. I want to upgrade it to Blu-ray as soon as I can. That extra storage capacity saves plenty of shelf space in the long run.

Makes me wonder why this didn't happen sooner.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know It was unlicensed, I thought Funi bought out all of Geneon's catalog when they went under.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Ack. Gotta sell my set ASAP. This wouldn't be the first time that I sat on something that was rare and didn't get around to selling before it got reissued.
That's always the conundrum, isn't it? "Can't get rid of this, who knows if it'll ever be available again?" Then it gets re-licensed, and suddenly those once-rare discs aren't so valuable anymore. Though I prefer the retention/hoarding route: I remember seeing some people say they'd sold off their old Bandai releases of Sunrise shows that Sentai allegedly licensed back in 2013, and now it looks like (excepting Big O) we might not ever see them in-print again.

prime_pm wrote:
Just occurred to me, had Netflix picked this one up they would have probably redubbed it. So...silver bullet dodged?
Why would they have needed to redub Paranoia Agent? Evangelion is not an indicative case, since:

1) The original dub had translation choices and liberties that the creators disagreed with.
2) The original dub may have still been the property of ADV, due to the way contracts were done in the 1990s.
3) The creators took issue with undesired reactions to a modern remake/spinoff of the series, and took proactive steps to rein in any licensee adaptive freedoms.

None of those apply here. It's doubtful Netflix would've needed to take the expense to redub PA, since it already has a perfectly good and faithful dub (from the legendary New Generation Pictures), which in all likelihood would've become the property of the Japanese rightsholders once Geneon's contract expired.

v1cious wrote:
I didn't even know It was unlicensed, I thought Funi bought out all of Geneon's catalog when they went under.

Only some titles, mainly the ones that were recent/popular at the time and/or had been left incomplete by Geneon's shutdown. Later on, Funi did pick up some other Geneon titles like Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, Hellsing TV, most of the Tenchi Muyo franchise, Gankutsuou, Gad Guard, Girls Bravo, Ikki-Tousen, Ai Yori Aoshi, Armitage III, Chobits, Black Lagoon, Gun x Sword, Gungrave, Vandread, Last Exile, and Trigun, but there never was a full package deal.

Some Geneon shows got picked up by other companies like Sentai, Discotek, Media-Blasters, and Nozomi. Many others remain (imo) unfortunately unavailable, like Koi Kaze, Melody of Oblivion (stream-only), Starship Operators, Strawberry Eggs, Gatekeepers/21, Battle Athletes, and Amazing Nurse Nanako.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Assuming Paranoia Agent is made available again, perhaps Baccano! or Blood+ will take up that mantle.

Not so sure of that since Aniplex owns the series and Funi's been losing video distribution rights to a number of titles they had from Aniplex, like earlier seasons of Black Butler and Fullmetal Alchemist.

This is another mystery. Funimation is now under Aniplex’s umbrella as a subsidiary, so it shouldn’t matter anymore. I kind of wish their expired Aniplex titles would be reprinted.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Why would they have needed to redub Paranoia Agent? Evangelion is not an indicative case, since:

1) The original dub had translation choices and liberties that the creators disagreed with.
2) The original dub may have still been the property of ADV, due to the way contracts were done in the 1990s.
3) The creators took issue with undesired reactions to a modern remake/spinoff of the series, and took proactive steps to rein in any licensee adaptive freedoms.

None of those apply here. It's doubtful Netflix would've needed to take the expense to redub PA, since it already has a perfectly good and faithful dub (from the legendary New Generation Pictures), which in all likelihood would've become the property of the Japanese rightsholders once Geneon's contract expired.

One important thing you're forgetting with Eva is that it wasn't just redubbed in English but everywhere else outside Japan with the Italian redub being the more infamous since it had to be done a second time due to fan complaints over the translation.

Quote:
Only some titles, mainly the ones that were recent/popular at the time and/or had been left incomplete by Geneon's shutdown. Later on, Funi did pick up some other Geneon titles like Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, Hellsing TV, most of the Tenchi Muyo franchise, Gankutsuou, Gad Guard, Girls Bravo, Ikki-Tousen, Ai Yori Aoshi, Armitage III, Chobits, Black Lagoon, Gun x Sword, Gungrave, Vandread, Last Exile, and Trigun, but there never was a full package deal.

The Tenchi deal from 2010 still bugs me because they were missing certain things and while you can argue why one of them got ignored over the lack of a dub, it was no longer an excuse when they started cutting down on dubbing everything a few years later.
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
So excited for this! I've wanted to own this series for YEARS. I hope they sell it at a reasonable price...

Also, I don't think that Netflix would ever pick up this show and I'm glad that Funi will step in and license the re-release. I don't think this show has the commercial appeal Netflix looks for in their titles.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
I've had had Paranoia Agent as a saved search on eBay for years, always hoping I happen on a seller who has no idea what they're selling. Never happens. I still own the dvd sleeves (discs were stolen in an album) so I would have been fine with disc-only. Never happened.

New white whale for some may be The Story of Saiunkoku
-as a seller I got $190 for the old Geneon releases for that. A lot more content but also technically incomplete as the following seasons were never picked up. Licensing that will have a lot of people moist with joy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2