• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: BEASTARS Season 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
I mean if the shows animation is heavily praised on a widespread general level, then is it really “failed”?

Like compared to Berserk and the whole other host of CG shows that come out this year & years past, if your not critically lambasted then I’m pretty sure that’s a good indication that you are doing something right.

Can anyone truly prove it's praised on a 'widespread general level'? I see lots of complaints about the animation everywhere so I could try to claim it's widespread hated. And to be fair, I'm sure someone could name a popular show or movie that gets a lot of hype that you despise. People often point to the Michael Bay Transformer films, or the Anderson Resident Evil films as examples of "just because it's popular doesn't make it good".

I felt the same way about Beastar's animation. I saw some people praising it's animation very heavily but while watching it myself I found it looked so floaty and off-putting. It had almost marionette-style animation where you can tell where the model's animation joints were and how it was being moved around by puppet strings and model rigging, especially all the small movements which made it look super uncanny, like I was watching a show done in a video game engine. Some people might not be able to pick up on that jarring animation effect, like how some people can't see 3D films, but I certainly could and it never went away and it prevents me from enjoying any CG anime that uses this style of animation. But at the end of the day I think story trumps animation. I finished Beastars despite disliking the animation because I enjoyed the story and characters, but I'd much rather have had a traditionally animated show.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can anyone truly prove it's praised on a 'widespread general level'? I see lots of complaints about the animation everywhere so I could try to claim it's widespread hated. And to be fair, I'm sure someone could name a popular show or movie that gets a lot of hype that you despise. People often point to the Michael Bay Transformer films, or the Anderson Resident Evil films as examples of "just because it's popular doesn't make it good
It’s not a matter of not liking a popular art style. It’s saying the show failed when by all intents and purposes it’s a runaway success and probably one of Netflix’s biggest anime shows. And Bayformers hasn’t been popular in at least a decade. Even the recent Bumblebee movie in spite of being an improvement only did so so in theaters.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
I felt the same way about Beastar's animation. I saw some people praising it's animation very heavily but while watching it myself I found it looked so floaty and off-putting. It had almost marionette-style animation where you can tell where the model's animation joints were and how it was being moved around by puppet strings and model rigging, especially all the small movements which made it look super uncanny, like I was watching a show done in a video game engine. Some people might not be able to pick up on that jarring animation effect, like how some people can't see 3D films, but I certainly could and it never went away and it prevents me from enjoying any CG anime that uses this style of animation.

I know what you mean, but I nevertheless think the animation is quite well done considering it was A) made in Japan for TV with the typical constraints a japanese animation studio has to face (limited budget per episode, limited time for production, not a lot of staff compared to big budgeted US productions for theatres and TV) and B) it tried to emulate the manga's character designs. There were few instances where I felt some uncanny valley effect, especially in the first couple of episodes, but I got used to it rather quickly. I'm also pretty sure that the animation is 2D sometimes, like it was in land of the lustrous (not every scene and character was 3D there).

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And Bayformers hasn’t been popular in at least a decade.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)
Budget $195,000,000
Worldwide gross, $1,123,794,079

Transformers: Age of extinction (2014)
Budget $210,000,000
Worldwide gross, $1,104,054,072

Transformers: The last knight (2017)
Budget $217,000,000
Worldwide gross, $605,425,157

Quote:
Even the recent Bumblebee movie in spite of being an improvement only did so so in theaters.

Bumblebee (2018)
Budget $135,000,000
Worldwide gross $467,989,645

Source: Box office mojo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
[
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)
Budget $195,000,000
Worldwide gross, $1,123,794,079

Transformers: Age of extinction (2014)
Budget $210,000,000
Worldwide gross, $1,104,054,072

Transformers: The last knight (2017)
Budget $217,000,000
Worldwide gross, $605,425,157

Bumblebee (2018)
Budget $135,000,000
Worldwide gross $467,989,645

Source: Box office mojo
Tossing out random global box office numbers isn't telling the whole story as a lot of those numbers probably come from China where the movies have always been more successful than the North American market. But comparing the domestic numbers for the last three Bayformers movies to the first three films, the first three films all made significantly more money than the later movies. The Last Knight especially did poorly and lost Paramount over $100 million and was considered a box office flop. Even according to your worldwide numbers, The Last Knight and Bumblebee clearly did poorer than the earlier films.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:45 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Tossing out random global box office numbers isn't telling the whole story as a lot of those numbers probably come from China [...]

Money is money, it doesn't matter where it comes from. The worldwide numbers show that what you initially said is wrong. The Transformers movie franchise was hugely successful overall, even considering a decline about 18.5% in worldwide box office revenue for the last three movies (starting from 2014), the total gross still is $2'177'468'874.

Quote:
The Last Knight especially did poorly and lost Paramount over $100 million and was considered a box office flop.

Okay, I didn't know that. I stand corrected on this point.

All I'm saying is that you could have looked up the overall numbers of those movies before replying hastily to Rentwo to back up your point about Beastars' success... a point which I actually do agree at the core. I care about Beastars, I couldn't care less about Transformers, but I still care about accuracy ;-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:18 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It’s not a matter of not liking a popular art style. It’s saying the show failed when by all intents and purposes it’s a runaway success and probably one of Netflix’s biggest anime shows. And Bayformers hasn’t been popular in at least a decade. Even the recent Bumblebee movie in spite of being an improvement only did so so in theaters.

My impression was Animegomaniac was talking quality wise, not success wise. Even Scion Drake who I quoted responded to them by talking about people praising the animation quality. I don't think the original argument was it failed financially, just failed in terms of being "quality CG". I brought up those films since they were extremely successful and popular, but some people took issue with the quality of them, especially the organic metal look of the Transformers themselves. Hence my point of popular does not equal quality. It is all opinion at the end of the day of course.

Swissman wrote:
I'm also pretty sure that the animation is 2D sometimes, like it was in land of the lustrous (not every scene and character was 3D there).

Some of it was. I really liked the static shots we got sometimes that were obviously drawn and not models. I also liked the stop-motion opening
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad James got to write this review, I think his praise for Beastars a while back was what originally got me to take a look at the show/manga. I thought it was on of the best directed shows of last year, and just a triumph of storytelling and production in general. I'm really looking forward to season 2, whenever that's released.

I would actually disagree on the high praise for the dub. I really liked the ADR direction and casting overall, which was a really fun mix of up-and-comers and veterans. I thought everyone suited their roles really well whether they took a similar or wildly different approach compared to their Japanese counterparts. The script just felt a little lackluster (which apparently is an sentiment I've seen a couple industry translators share: https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1243192630101467136).

Quite a few high impact emotional beats seemed to lose their luster a bit, and there were some tiny nitpicks (like referring to antlers as horns) that could have been ironed out. The cast is great though, and overall its still a decent dub, it just could have been better.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Yea, Netflix really messed up a lot with promoting it to come out “first thing 2020” and then wait till mid March, as well as the dumb “Rouis” subs (thankfully “Hal” is only in the episode descriptions. Her name in the subtitles is still Haru). I recommended it to my sister and she watched the whole thing in one sitting, and then her boyfriend watched the whole thing in one sitting, lol. I’d like to see some numbers as I’m curious to know how successful this was for Netflix.

There was also some implication that S2 was supposed to be out this year.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Yea, Netflix really messed up a lot with promoting it to come out “first thing 2020” and then wait till mid March, as well as the dumb “Rouis” subs (thankfully “Hal” is only in the episode descriptions. Her name in the subtitles is still Haru). I recommended it to my sister and she watched the whole thing in one sitting, and then her boyfriend watched the whole thing in one sitting, lol. I’d like to see some numbers as I’m curious to know how successful this was for Netflix.

Yeah, that's definitely not going to happen because Beastars is airing in the +Ultra TV block in Japan and the anime Great Pretender is taking over this block for the entire second half of 2020. (and this Spring it's Trigger's BNA)

EDIT: also, idk why I forgot Beastars was already announced 2021 recently but there's also that lmao.

Last edited by DatRandomDude on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

Money is money, it doesn't matter where it comes from. The worldwide numbers show that what you initially said is wrong. The Transformers movie franchise was hugely successful overall, even considering a decline about 18.5% in worldwide box office revenue for the last three movies (starting from 2014), the total gross still is $2'177'468'874.
My point still stands which you agree to later in this post that Bayformers might have been popular once but it has seen a decline in popularity in recent years. But even when the older movies were popular, that was more from an audience reception than a critical reception as the older movies were pretty widely panned by critics and there were probably better examples that could have been used as an analogy.

Quote:
Season two was already announced for 2021. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-20/beastars-anime-2nd-season-premieres-in-2021/.157729
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2