• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
^
I would point out that #4, 5, and 6 in the above list are all well beyond the current scope of the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xavon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Heres a question for people that might know, were there any references to the author's other works in the first 3 episodes. I only ask becasue I know that Seiyu's Life! and Hayate the Combat Butler share the same world and was thinking maybe this was also in that same world and I missed the references.

I'm current with the manga, and so far, there's been several things that show this series takes place in the same world as Hayate.

1) Klaus was working at the after-hours desk at the ward office, and accepted Nasa and Tsukasa's marriage registration.

2) The name of the secondhand goods store that's on the first floor of the building where Nasa and Tsukasa started living together is called "Tachibana Store #3", a reference to Tachibana Wataru, who owns a video rental store, and later a manga bookstore in Hayate the Combat Butler.

3) This one relates to the scene in episode 5 with Tsukasa wanting a TV, which was altered from what was in the manga. spoiler[ The manga version had her going on about how she wanted to see the then-new "Avengers: Endgame" movie that had just come out in theaters, but then went on a huge spiel about how Nasa would then need to see every single movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in order to understand it. After Nasa and Tsukasa go to buy a TV (and a Blu-ray player), the two then go to the Tachibana Video Rental store to rent all the previous movies.]

4) spoiler[In chapters 125 through the current chapter (131 at the time I'm writing this), Nasa and Tsukasa go with a group from the high school Nasa volunteers at to help them film a horror movie. The group decides to film at a huge abandoned mansion in the middle of Tokyo that was actually Sanzenin Nagi's mansion prior to her having to give up the family fortune.]

5) spoiler[In chapter 126, one of the characters casually mention how they heard rumors that "a rich girl, her maid, and her butler were the only three people to live here, even though this place is so huge." A another one of the girls then adds, "And according to rumor, they apparently kept a white tiger as a pet."] A very obvious reference to Nagi, Maria, Hayate, and Tama.

6) spoiler[And finally, in chapter 130, you actually see Maria in her maid uniform giving the group of girls permission to demolish the amusement park Nagi's grandfather Mikado had built on the grounds of the mansion, since they "can no longer use it, and it's getting old and falling apart."]

There might be a couple of other things in the manga that I forgot about, but based on all of the above, I think it's safe to say that this series takes place in the same world as Hayate. Smile

7) spoiler[ Chapter 30, the girl who takes a picture of Nasa and Tsukasa in Nara has Sakuya's hair (including ribbons) and accent.]

8) Major spoiler spoiler[Also in chapter 30/31, our couple returns home to find their apartment has burned down. Wataru (from behind) is kneel in front of it, dismayed, while Saki (also from behind) tries to comfort him. Nasa talks to him about the fire. ]

And both of those are well within the scope of the anime. I just hope they can get the same VAs.

9) spoiler[Someone who appears to be a slightly SD Saki gives Nasa the keys to a model apartment in chapter 38]
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Another good episode this week. I'm going to pre-emptively say that next weeks episode would probably be better if Chitose wasn't in it, but maybe she won't interfere as much as the preview implies
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Another good episode this week. I'm going to pre-emptively say that next weeks episode would probably be better if Chitose wasn't in it, but maybe she won't interfere as much as the preview implies

Well, she interfered, but we got some good plot(?) hints out of it, at least:

1) Chitose makes clear that Tsukasa isn't a "normal girl" despite how she acts

2) Tsukasa casually notes that she has been a "normal 16-year-old girl" since she first met little kid Chitose (how long have you been 16, Tsukasa?)

3) Despite her previous surprisingly detailed historical trivia, she has no interest in historical places (seen them all already?)

4) She knows how to dress herself with a traditional kimono that hasn't seen widespread use for over a century (even the dresser was surprised)
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:12 am Reply with quote
Wataru and Saki made it in, but I'm annoying that they cut Sakuya's cameo.

And I'm worried for the future of the anime, since they cut another fairly important scene from this chapter.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Now that the review of ep 8 is up, my response is that some of the elements from the manga that were cut make Nasa's parents a bit more odd (don't forget, these to did name their child after the US space agency). Like that his father bought a 'real' Sakabato because he is a Kenshin fan.
otakunomike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nasa's comment about his mother and the deer refers to the (very tame) deer at Nara Park, which can be fed by tourists

Tame my foot. When I was at Nara I watched those deer chase down a running school girl to get at the snack crackers inside her jacket. If they know you have food, they WILL get it from you whether you want to give it up or not.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
otakunomike wrote:
Quote:
Nasa's comment about his mother and the deer refers to the (very tame) deer at Nara Park, which can be fed by tourists

Tame my foot. When I was at Nara I watched those deer chase down a running school girl to get at the snack crackers inside her jacket. If they know you have food, they WILL get it from you whether you want to give it up or not.

After I had long since run out of crackers, I was bitten by one of the deer at the top of the back of my leg. That spot was sore for a while. :)
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:45 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:

And I'm worried for the future of the anime, since they cut another fairly important scene from this chapter.

ninja'd. Note, interesting that Wataru not aged, so guess, not same universe time wise as Hayate.

Nara deer are tame unless you feed them, then they let you know to feed them. I got in trouble when much younger for trying to teach sika how to use automatic doors. haha
Xavon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Xavon wrote:

ninja'd. Note, interesting that Wataru not aged, so guess, not same universe time wise as Hayate.

Nara deer are tame unless you feed them, then they let you know to feed them. I got in trouble when much younger for trying to teach sika how to use automatic doors. haha

Eh, Hayate's timeline was nebulous, even before the supernatural antics kicked in. So I wouldn't bet on it not being the same universe.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Saki's second cameo was cut, and a few chapters worth of old game stuff, which was interesting because of Tsukasa's extreme interest in them (slightly preserved by her reaction when Nasa thought the old TV wasn't working) and Nasa showing off his tech savvy by being able to make basic repairs and code a Space Invaders like game for Tsukasa in about an hour. And that last point was also important for a future plot line the anime won't get to. So it seems like they are definitely not planning on multiple seasons. Or if they are, it will be like Hayate in its divergence from the manga.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Hayate's parents are trashy conman couple, Yukari or Yukariko is Hayate's FMC's late mother.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The one seeming cultural reference that I could not place – or even tell if it was a reference – was what YouTuber, if any, Aya was supposed to be parodying around the 15:54 mark.
It's not a reference.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 am Reply with quote
Isn't 'the template of Street Fighter' can still be a part of Street Fighter's history? Then that mean Street Fighter's history do 'can be said' as fighting game history.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually haven't watched the show, but I read the Manga and can confirm that Nasa doesn't have a low sex drive.

They don't having sex its explained simply because they are not on their own house and feel embarrassed at the idea of others hearing them, but, Nasa is constantly touching Tsukasa and french kissing her.

There are some scenes of oral sex hinted, sincerely, sometimes the manga is NSFW, if the Anime doesn't have those scenes it's because it's censored I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3