• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Evangelion Film Delayed Again Due to COVID-19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm not surprised at all.

At the very least, can we expect it to be released around spring? Since by that time, most people in Japan would be vaccinated.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm not surprised at all.

At the very least, can we expect it to be released around spring? Since by that time, most people in Japan would be vaccinated.

That wouldn't be till midsummer at the earliest.
Current best estimates for vaccine availability in Japan is end of Feb for elderly and at risk, and _May_ for the general population.

Japan is for some reason significantly behind the US when it comes to vaccine distribution...
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Why do people think that releasing it digitally would be an option? You know the leadership in the anime industry is not very well known to adapt to changes.

Not surprised with the delay. But not sure why there is so much hate for the Re Build franchise. Of course it's not the original series, so?
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me that's not true! If that's true, then the movie will eventually ended up being canceled and shelved for good. But I hope the movie premieres outside of Japan.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Please tell me that's not true! If that's true, then the movie will eventually ended up being canceled and shelved for good. But I hope the movie premieres outside of Japan.

Are you forgetting the film's finished already?
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

why there is so much hate for the Re Build franchise. Of course it's not the original series, so?

Anno is a very polarizing figure. A lot of people hate him irrationally and it has little to do with Rebuild. The original series was not well regarded (murderously so) at its time contrary to how the West spins its reputation now or for a long time.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
That's fine. It's the safer choice, and the wait has been long enough already that this feels pretty inconsequential.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Anno is a very polarizing figure. A lot of people hate him irrationally and it has little to do with Rebuild. The original series was not well regarded (murderously so) at its time contrary to how the West spins its reputation now or for a long time.

And yet for almost everyone that hates it you have people who live and die by the series and End Of Evangelion as flawless works with some going as far as to insult and belittle anyone criticizing specific parts of the series such as episode 26 essentially being a slideshow and End for swerving hard into bleak and depressing territory.
lucio542

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
If It was for safety then why the heck demon Slayer was permited and broke all records?
Hypocrisy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
lucio542 wrote:
If It was for safety then why the heck demon Slayer was permited and broke all records?
Hypocrisy.

Demon Slayer didn’t come out during a point where parts of the country was shutting back down.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
At this point, who could possibly be bothered by a delay in an Eva film release?

WHO???

Eva delays are part of the natural order. Just accept it.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
lucio542 wrote:
Hypocrisy.
Because Japanese cinema theaters were fine with the prevention safety measures up to this point for a couple of months, but recently the whole situation in country becomes worse again and many prefectures went to another lockdown. It's not hypocrisy, just the imminent reaction to the current events.
lucio542

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
lucio542 wrote:
Hypocrisy.
Because Japanese cinema theaters were fine with the prevention safety measures up to this point for a couple of months, but recently the situation becomes worse again and many prefectures went to another lockdown. It's not hypocrisy, just the imminent reaction to the current events.

Demon Slayer made more than 20 Million people to to the cinema in a short period of time.
Maybe thats why the number of cases had increased.
Just my opinion.
But welp i was forgetting this, thanks for the info.
But i still think that even at that time they should know that It was a bad idea.

Last edited by lucio542 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

Not surprised with the delay. But not sure why there is so much hate for the Re Build franchise. Of course it's not the original series, so?
I think most people actually like the movies just fine as the ReBuild movies have been generally very successful. Japan certainly seems to really like them. It's mostly Very Online purist fans of the original that had certain expectations for 3.0 and are mad at the movie for not meeting their expectations and fan theories. It's basically the Eva version of the Star Wars sequels. But with any revival/reboot/sequel of a nostalgia property you're going to have fans who feel let down that it doesn't match up entirely with their nostalgic memories. With the latest state of emergency, I won't be surprised if they also delay Sailor Moon Eternal part 2 if numbers don't start to lower by February.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's basically the Eva version of the Star Wars sequels. But with any revival/reboot/sequel of a nostalgia property you're going to have fans who feel let down that it doesn't match up entirely with their nostalgic memories.

I’m just gonna chime in and say there’s a marked difference in that Rebuild is shaping up to be something ambitious and has merits from the start, whereas the Star Wars ST is an abomination from the get go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4