• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rebuild of Evangelion Films' Video Previews Dubs in 11 Languages

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
The Latin American Spanish cast appeared at 1:55, I gotta admit that Kaworu's new voice sounds good (though Kaworu's already had 3 different voice actors before). Asuka, Rei and Mari still have their original voices. Still, I'm confused as to why Amazon didn't just dub the Rebuild movies in Mexico like all previous Evangelion projects, but instead they decided to record all characters in Argentina, with the exception of Shinji, Rei, Asuka and Mari which still are voiced by their original actors in Mexico. And I don't mean to discredit Argentinean voice acting, I'm argentinean myself and we have made some pretty good dubs, I just wished that they could managed to get all the original voices available, but who knows, perhaps Zima (the Mexican distributor who dubbed the first 3 Rebuild movies) might do a re-dub for a home video release.
Also, it's interesting to hear Evangelion in different languages, all of them sounded pretty good, though I don't know if I heard well but it seems that Shinji has a pretty deep voice in French or some other European language.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
Honeyman wrote:
Can anyone confirm if this will be available to rent on Amazon Video? I'd prefer to do that rather than get a trial to watch the film when its released if possible.
You can rent or buy anything on Amazon Video even if it is included in the Prime membership.

It could be a case that Funimation still own the rights to the dub, and Amazon is too tight to sub-lisence them. Or maybe this is from khara who just want the whole lot re-dubbed.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
So I'm a bit confused. Is Funimation releasing new home videos with the new English dub on it? Article makes it sound like they are, or did, but I don't see anything.
phantom360

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
WOOOO! THANK YOU AMAZON FOR BRINGING THE OLD CAST BACK.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I thought showcasing all the dubs in one promo was pretty cool, but closing out on the OG!Cast and having Spike Spencer say "goodbye, all Evangelions" was pretty awesome (no offense to Casey, but nobody else but Spike could have said that and make it mean so much in my opinion).

Yup, getting to the end and then bamn hearing them back to complete the four movies (plus the also unexpected original Rei back) with Spike with all that history getting to say that line was a great surprise.

Not to mention my favorite, Grant's Asuka, gonna be a good day hearing all of them back.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
It's very unfortunate that Mike McFarland couldn't direct the final film's dub but from that we receive a joyful gift in the form of Amazon Prime's Rebuild redub. This is the type of occasion where it will truly pay off to have a Prime account! What little I've heard of the rebuild redub sounds promising. What a unusual yet exciting time to be a dub fan cheers.

Nice, good to hear since I haven't checked it out at all since I missed that story that they changed anything again. Yeah, he did a great job directing the first three.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I also liked what I heard of Doreen as Mari and Damon as Kaworu, even if Trini and Jerry will definitely be missed (Jerry in particular just has this angelic quality to his voice that the other many English Kaworu voices lack).

Agreed, he really had a great voice for Kaworu, and while she didn't have too much to do her voice fit really well as Mari in those appearances so I would have liked to hear her finish it out too.
Like you said, it really was magical hearing them again at the end after thinking it was so unlikely we'd get them back for the last movie.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Frankly regarding Ritsuko's voice actress, it doesn't really matter who voices her because her character has absolute jackshit to do with the movies. All she did in the TV series was cut from the films, and the only character development she got in the Rebuilds was a new hairstyle.
Mamono Hunter Yo Bro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
So I'm a bit confused. Is Funimation releasing new home videos with the new English dub on it? Article makes it sound like they are, or did, but I don't see anything.

I know what you mean. The phrasing is a bit confusing, but Amazon is airing the original theatrical version of the films that feature a different dub and script. The Funimation releases that came out are home video versions with new scenes added and/or with certain touch ups. If it ends in .0 then you'll get the theatrical show... but if it ends in .11, .22 or .33 there's new scenes and visual tweaks for thee.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh that's wild, I definitely skimmed too quickly too and missed that the new redub they're posting for streaming is paired with the .0 theater versions of those first three (never even saw those just the Funi blu-rays with the final tweaks/additions), weird.

prime_pm wrote:
Frankly regarding Ritsuko's voice actress, it doesn't really matter who voices her because her character has absolute jackshit to do with the movies. All she did in the TV series was cut from the films, and the only character development she got in the Rebuilds was a new hairstyle.

It's been a while since I've re-watched but yeah I think she had her most screen time back in the first one mostly redoing those scenes from the series.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:16 am Reply with quote
For anyone curious, the new dub says “third child” instead of “third children,” thank god.

I’ve only watched the first movie, but the dub is fine, I guess? Some performances are a lot worse though. Misato in particular is back to sounding like a cartoon character for the first half of the movie. She gave a really nuanced performance in the Funi dub, so it’s a shame. Spike Spencer and John Swasey are the same as ever. It is nice that Fuyutsuki and Gendo no longer sound identical. Unfortunately, Ritsuko and Maya now have that problem instead. The new Ritsuko’s performance is good in isolation, but she sounds significantly younger than both Misato, which is confusing to hear. Meanwhile Toji sounds like he’s 55 and smokes. Rei really doesn’t do much, but Amanda Winn Lee sounds about the same as always.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
The Latin American Spanish cast appeared at 1:55, I gotta admit that Kaworu's new voice sounds good (though Kaworu's already had 3 different voice actors before). Asuka, Rei and Mari still have their original voices. Still, I'm confused as to why Amazon didn't just dub the Rebuild movies in Mexico like all previous Evangelion projects, but instead they decided to record all characters in Argentina, with the exception of Shinji, Rei, Asuka and Mari which still are voiced by their original actors in Mexico. And I don't mean to discredit Argentinean voice acting, I'm argentinean myself and we have made some pretty good dubs, I just wished that they could managed to get all the original voices available, but who knows, perhaps Zima (the Mexican distributor who dubbed the first 3 Rebuild movies) might do a re-dub for a home video release.
Also, it's interesting to hear Evangelion in different languages, all of them sounded pretty good, though I don't know if I heard well but it seems that Shinji has a pretty deep voice in French or some other European language.

Brazil was one of the countries that most respected consistency in its cast.The classic series got dubbed thrice,1.11 and 2.22 got dubbed twice,Death and EoE once(they finally got a dub with the Netflix redub of the classic series),and now 3.33 and 3.0 + 1.0 once(3.33 didn't get a dub back when it came out because the DVD sales of the first two movies didn't do well)and while some characters got a new voice for each dub(like Misato, Kaji,Fuyutsuki and Keel).They have always retained the VAs of Shinji,Rei,Asuka,Toji,Gendo,Kaworu,Aoba and Maya in everything
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2