• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fena: Ending Explained (or How To RUIN an Anime In One Episode)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:35 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Now I just want to know what word(s) those first two posters wrote that was so unacceptable a mod had to replace it with "dull." Hopefully I won't use it by mistake?

Probably the one that begins with R and is sometimes substituted with "exceptional". Personally, I'd have replaced it with "dumb". "Dull" just makes it sound like the writing was boring as opposed to pants-on-head stupid.

The whole argument is within reason and analysis. It was analyzed good! It isn't that it is unacceptable, but the reason why it was slightly edited (from original text was dumb and was edited to dull) is that the statement gives the "pants-on-head stupid" vibe, even after taking in consideration of the different tone used from the first and the succeeding sentences. It can also be interpreted to sound a little strong and to really negative.

Afterwards, the second post had the same predicament; also used the word stupid with the same tone used. This shows the influence of the first argument (both positive -- since it entertains analysis of the anime --and negative --wherein just by a single word, it is picked up and can be used on the succeeding posts). But of course, looking at the reply as whole and it having a good argument, the best choice of word to make a contrast with 'interesting' (as written on the first post) was dull. Smile

I hope this enlightens you guys! Very Happy
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
...what???

Mod-editing peoples posts just to look like they're better written, as if revising a translation ("what's the right word to use in this context") might be one of the most bizarre ideas I've ever heard. This is hard to wrap my head around.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:27 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
This is another reason I expect Sony to mothball the Crunchyroll Originals line when they take control of CR’s day to day operations. In theory, the intentions were good, in execution it’s been one blunder after another.

But the entire story was written by Kazuto Nakazawa, and CR has nothing to do with that outside of just funding the show.

Between this show's ending and the ending of B: The Beginning Season 2 being a literal pause in the action. Something tells me Nakazawa can't write endings for crap.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:27 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
...what???

Mod-editing peoples posts just to look like they're better written, as if revising a translation ("what's the right word to use in this context") might be one of the most bizarre ideas I've ever heard. This is hard to wrap my head around.

In summary: It was edited due to its crass nature. The context is still retained, by replacing the original word to its synonym with the premise that it is can still be connected with the original message.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote
Isn't this kind of early, thematically? Attack on Titan's final season is coming this January. We'll be retracing all of this soon enough. Plus the urge to go outside and slap the first pigeon that'll come your way.

note*: I am joking. This is a joke. Don't take it too seriously. For the love of God.

Anyways, this only cemented my decision to never watch more of Fena. Had kinda suspected it would be a doomed cause from episode 1, but I never expected this level of trainwreck.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote
Well, I had this show on my "check out at some time"-list. But, seeing the plot goes for a full pants-on-head asspull of a plot twist, and a terribly cliched one at that, is alone enough for me to write this down in the AVOID! category.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
This is another reason I expect Sony to mothball the Crunchyroll Originals line when they take control of CR’s day to day operations. In theory, the intentions were good, in execution it’s been one blunder after another.

But the entire story was written by Kazuto Nakazawa, and CR has nothing to do with that outside of just funding the show.

Crunchyroll and Adult Swim, IIRC, approached them with the cash and concept, and let Nakazawa take over. And here we are. I mean, from Adult Swim’s perspective I kind of get wanting a pirate anime after losing One Piece, but still.

The CR originals line has been wall to wall problems. I don’t see why Sony would keep it around instead of just leveraging the existing committee placements CR has for shows like Shield Hero.
AGreaterAlignment

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
It's odd to me that so many people see Crunchyroll/Adult Swim's involvement in original anime production as the harbinger of "politics and opinions they don't like showing up in anime". Fena's ending feels like the exact opposite is happening: blank checks, no feedback, leading to a questionable vision. It's like they're allergic to giving meaningful feedback or slamming the breaks on a disastrous production...because they know and like anime enough to not want their input to encroach on Japanese creator integrity. Which is admirable, but at the same time, Crunchyroll and Toonami have their own brands to consider. I see Toonami as a kind of "anime tastemaker" with more hits than misses, so stuff like Fena and FLCL Progressive hit hard.

You'd think with the fandom assumption that Western companies have full control over these productions, they'd bother to actually do that? Instead, Crunchyroll had to put promotional weight beyond EX-ARM's incompetent execution and Fena: Pirate Princess has the awkward position of not being that on-brand for Toonami. I would guess more people were expecting cool girl combat fight pirate adventures and what we got feels incredibly off-base from the marketing.

Arale Kurashiki wrote:
...what???

The explanations you got were oddly obtuse, so I'll try to be more specific. OP most likely used the r-slur. So, it was replaced with a less offensive word that conveyed the same intent. Calling a poor decision stupid is common. But comparing it to being actually intellectually disabled is considered highly ableist and often very hyperbolic. It wasn't a "mod-editing people's posts just to look better written" thing. It was an attempt to correct the one rule offense while allowing the post to remain intact. It would be a shame if the post was removed outright, because it would make it seem like the entire post didn't have merit. Hope that helps!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
^ Thanks you for finally making a clear identification of the "R-word" that the mod didn't. Enquiring minds want to know! I was thinking "ridiculous" or "rancid" or "ranunculous" and couldn't find anything beginning with R that fit. Have to say, "dull" is a really odd substitution, sort of like ANN's script that makes "fu*k" into "fudge" (don't tell me...). I would have said "dumb" was more to the point and (hopefully) not too offensive for the staff here...

Anyway avoiding Fena like the plague now, thanks to the reviewer for once again keeping me from wasting my time with this thing so I can spend more time on good stuff like Fruit of Evolution Smile
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
To me the mod's explanation really felt like it was saying the word used wasn't an offensive word, so I was just increasingly confused.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
SenpaiDuckie wrote:
The whole argument is within reason and analysis. It was analyzed good! It isn't that it is unacceptable, but the reason why it was slightly edited (from original text was dumb and was edited to dull) is that the statement gives the "pants-on-head stupid" vibe, even after taking in consideration of the different tone used from the first and the succeeding sentences. It can also be interpreted to sound a little strong and to really negative.

I can't take you seriously that it was analyzed *well* when you can't even give a coherent, well written explanation. It sounds like the posters used a banned word so I can understand why their post would be edited. However, you are clueless if you honestly believe dull would be the allowed word the posters would have picked as a replacement.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
To me the mod's explanation really felt like it was saying the word used wasn't an offensive word, so I was just increasingly confused.

That was how I read the explanation as well, felt like some weird hyper-modding.
Certainly hope that wasn't the actual case.

I am still leaning towards liking Fena over-all even the though end was dumpster quality trash that made no sense to me after the story that was told. Honestly though, I was enjoying the show every week, it was fun and intriguing and beautiful...until it really wasn't. That end really knocked it down for sure, but since I still enjoyed 5/6th of the show it's hard for me to give it an overall horrid rating.
I certainly feel betrayed by the ending of this show though. Glad to have read this review and know I'm not alone.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote
In terms of anime shows that started off well and ended badly, how does Fena compare to Wonder Egg Priority?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:02 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
In terms of anime shows that started off well and ended badly, how does Fena compare to Wonder Egg Priority?

I'd say Fena didn't have as much promise as WEP at the beginning, but otoh with WEP the "ending" can be ignored and the rest of the series is better if you do -possibly because it didn't really answer any questions or tie up any loose ends and the ones it did were tied horribly-, whereas Fena's ending concludes the story so definitively it kind of poisons everything that came before.

Another comparison i could make is that whereas i've mostly forgotten WEP's ending except forspoiler[ the awful Koito reveal], i don't think i'll be forgetting Fena's ending in a long time, though i wouldn't say that's necessarily a good thing
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote
This is one of those shows that looked interesting in previews, I watched the first episode and thought "this could be good" and then opted to wait until feedback was in after the season was over (after feeling *very* burnt by Wonder Egg Priority...)

Glad that I did. Not going to bother watching anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3