• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Life with an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I love Goddess of Night, she is great and makes awesome pair of chuunis with Schwa-kun.

I didn't really mind that they ignored the elf, not only she tried to kill them last time, they could've figured whatever happened to her was probably her own fault somehow, based on their experience with her so far.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I love the Goddess of the Night, too. I laughed out loud when she manifested with a sleeping cap and pillow! Nightly-nite, goddess Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:29 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Poor Elf Premier. Gets kidnapped and the pair don't lift a finger to save her, then she thinks she's going to be ravished...then sacrificed...all because she's so beautiful...

And she's just fine with that, if they're killing her because she's beautiful. Reminded me of Mina in Orbital Children - omg, I'm gonna die, I'm really gonna die! But at least I'll top 100 million viewers!!" which is all that really matters. Smile
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
I wasn't really bothered by them ignoring the elf either, mostly because my first thought was that she had been arrested or bounty-hunted for her various misdeeds.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
They clearly ignored her because, they view her as an annoyance and they didn't really know the context. It's not like she was in clear danger and then they ignored her. I'd expect them not to leave her to die but not to go out of their way to help her when they don't understand the circumstances.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
No need to be so put off by the guys ignoring the elf being imprisoned - they knew exactly that she would eventually be back being a nuisance for them, regardless of how much they ignore her.
I mean, we all knew it, that's how these isekai comedies go - and these two guys definitely are pros in this game as well!
Grove

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't think love has anything to do with Jinguuji's super-strength or lack thereof. Jinguuji is Tachibana's weapon, just like Schwarz has that sword. It is logical that the weapon needs to be near to the hero to be used. Therefore, the weapon--Jinguuji--needs to be near the hero--Tachibana--to demonstrate efficacy.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I love how the Elf Premier lost to Tachibana in a beauty constest again and was about to join Jinguuji's Harem right up until he used her as a human sacrifice for a squid. But at least she got a cool moment in the end.

Did not expect that trader voiced by Junichi Suwabe to fall for Jinguuji, let alone join the cast for a few episodes.

The true power of Tachibana unleashed has the men going gaga over her and the wives out for blood. Hilarious.
Grove wrote:
I don't think love has anything to do with Jinguuji's super-strength or lack thereof. Jinguuji is Tachibana's weapon, just like Schwarz has that sword. It is logical that the weapon needs to be near to the hero to be used. Therefore, the weapon--Jinguuji--needs to be near the hero--Tachibana--to demonstrate efficacy.

I guess it could be a total coincidence that it came right when Tachibana and Jinguuji were having a little tiff in their relationship.

Of course one way or another it seems like the Demons have found Jinguuji's one weakness...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I admit that I'm cutting Shen a lot of slack because I like his look and his seiyuu, but I think the review is being a bit too harsh on him. He's one of the more interesting characters to show up, in just his limited time so far. And he's not a slaver, nor did he kidnap Telolilo. She was already a slave due to her own incompetence (ok, yes, slavery is more than a bit excessive reparations for her theft), and Shen is a merchant, dealing in all things legal, and probably a few that aren't. That said, I certainly don't hold him up as an ethical paragon or role model. He's still a charismatic addition to this party of loons nevertheless.

As for his courting of Jinguuji, well yeah, he's a tad overbearing, but I'm detecting a double standard here. If his trying to pick up Jinguuji is bad because the latter is made somewhat uncomfortable by it (I'm actually enjoying how he's making his interest known and acting from the assumption that he has just as good a shot at winning Jinguuji's heart as Tachibana does, gender be damned), then how is Tachibana's constantly having to fend off entire villages of men, ready to abduct them to marry, a legitimate source of hilarity? It's all problematic, as the entire series has been from the start, but only if you're viewing it seriously. This is KonoSuba level humor, and I'm here for all of it.
Cutty Mink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is KonoSuba level humor, and I'm here for all of it.

I completely agree. I very much enjoy this type of comedy where characters can be awful to one another for comedic value; IE: Both Premier and Aqua from Konosuba getting used as bait.

I honestly thought this episode was hilarious; I enjoy those 'problematic' elements and am super happy that I can still enjoy this style of humor from Japanese media as its been sanitized in the west.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if some of this weeks humor was lost in translation or if it was too "Japanese" but the episode did feel slightly homophobic at times...

I'm also pretty sure "Jinguuji being Tachibana's weapon" has been suggested several times since they met SAO-Lite...

Still miles ahead of "Gandalf the loli" which is rapidly heading for 4/10 territory.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:16 pm Reply with quote
A church of exhibitionists where everyone just walks around in swimsuits with the nun in a very revealing swimsuit? Can I sign up?

Show Hayami as the king in a skirt singing that prophecy...my sides. I could totally see that Goddess coming up for that or Rie Kugimiya singing it.

Tachibana looking so good in that dress that Jinguuji can't control himself and is imagining their entire married life together. These two just need to be honest with each other.

Ygraine sure is a lively princess...almost committing suicide, telling Tachibana how it is, acting all cutesy to get what she wants, telling off her father and Jinguuji, and then inciting a rebellion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall Shen ever assaulting Jinguuji (ok, other than drugging him to give him a spectacular massage). After all, one of his skills is "Passive Perseverance." Sure, irl he'd be annoying af, but Jinguuji seems much less bothered by his continued efforts to woo him than the reviewer is. And Shen's never gone as far as the nun who tore off Tachibana's clothes and shamed him in front of a roomful of people, bringing him to his knees nearly in tears, which didn't even rate a mention. It just feels like the animosity toward Shen is out of proportion to what he's actually done compared to other characters' actions. And our dipshit duo barely notice him now that they pretty much know what his deal is. They don't seem to consider him a threat anymore, so I don't know why the reviews do. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Loved the world map. Judging by the map in the war room, the kingdom is located on the upper half of the skull. Also some seriously great face-game this ep (9).
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:22 pm Reply with quote
What is it with isekai and slavery? Almost all of them end up touching on the subject at some point and they all seem to take the position that it's just a petty crime like burglary or something. Here Shen is 100% a slaver, and the main character just hang out with him like its nothing. At most they find him mildly annoying. I guess I should just be happy that the elf chief didn't fall madly in love with him and ask to be his love slave forever...
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:16 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
What is it with isekai and slavery? Almost all of them end up touching on the subject at some point and they all seem to take the position that it's just a petty crime like burglary or something. Here Shen is 100% a slaver, and the main character just hang out with him like its nothing. At most they find him mildly annoying. I guess I should just be happy that the elf chief didn't fall madly in love with him and ask to be his love slave forever...

I mean, if we want to be realistic about it, slavery, in various forms, was a thing for most of humankind's history, and in various time periods and in various places in the world people had all sorts of attitudes to it. And even though slavery is quite universally accepted as a terrible, inhuman thing by most modern cultures, not every culture has the same really visceral sensitivity to the concept itself as, for example, the US. Before anyone misunderstands (oh, who am I kidding) I don't mean that the visceral sensitivity is a bad thing - it's just that not every culture has the same history with slavery and so their overall sensitivity to the concept of slavery in fiction is not going to be exactly the same.

And to be even more realistic about it: leaving cases like Fabiniku aside, slavery is a reeeeally common sexual/romantic fantasy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And in a fantasy setting it's easier to handwave away the unpleasant real-world implications.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4