• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bastard!! Manga Gets New Netflix Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:28 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
BTW, those are some nice designs.

YESSSSSS
Sayaka Ono is an AMAZING character designer, and so unfairly underutilized!
So happy to see she got a new anime.
Not to mention she’s just a sweet person in general.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:33 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it maintains the fan service and outlandishness of the original anime. A toned down or edited for 'modern' audiences Bastard!! anime, just wouldn't be right.
TemplateR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:37 am Reply with quote
Even if I didn´t watch the Anime-Remake of "Blade of the Immortal" on Amazon Prime, I read, that this was a realtiv good Adaption. Good Animation in Terms of Animation, but rushed Storytelling. Telling the Story of 30 Volumes in 24 Episodes was not good and some stories was cut. From what I read about it.

So I hope, that the previous 24 Volumes will be faithful adapted in many seasons. please no rushing and cutting some stories. That goes also for the Anime-Remake of "Rurouni Kenshin", which will also produced by Liden Films.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:04 am Reply with quote
Netflix is probably the only place this could air without heavy edits.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:58 am Reply with quote
Up until twelve years ago, this news would have made me very happy, but as it stands, Bastard!! is a series that's essentially abandoned by its author, and I have zero hope that it will ever be concluded. Hell, I even doubt it will ever be resumed.

Therefore, it's hard to get excited about the new anime when you know that even if it is wildly successful and gets multiple seasons, it will still have to stop abruptly after catching up to where the manga stalled. All I can hope for this new adaptation is that its animation quality is decent (not a guarantee when you're talking about Liden Films) and that it doesn't tone down the sexual content too much.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:23 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Oh good, I can't wait for another bastardized Netflix anime with stiff animation, underwhelming action scenes, and neutered storyline Rolling Eyes

Alternatively, wait and see. And this is not quite Netflix produced.

Yeah just one of the funders and disturbing the anime while WarnerBros. Japan is the main producer of the anime with the manga publisher to
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:39 am Reply with quote
Lot s of opinions, but I want to know how Tempest / Christopher MacDonald feels about this news. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:12 am Reply with quote
Hope this is done well to generate some more popularity for the series. I'd love it if Viz re-released Bastard again. When I was younger I so disappointed they stopped printing it. Bastard is such an insane, wild ride.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
As I said previously...

"I'd bet money that the list [of what manga Netflix adapts into anime] is being compiled by men who watched anime on Adult Swim in the '90s or something but nothing since then."

Minor nitpick but AS debuted in 2001 and most of the anime that was aired on TV especially on American TV was heavily edited.
SP654

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
can Netflix bring back berserk as wel
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Mostly sounds good, at least as far as the promo images and studio go, Blade of the Immortal was a good looking show. I'm a bit annoyed that Netflix is getting exclusive rights, even if they are not involved.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
I guess others have mentioned it, but the manga is currently unfinished so this necessarily will have to end at some point before reaching that part of the story. Honestly, I liked watching the OVA back in the day and I'll keep up with this new show, but the underlying material probably isn't going to age very well from a modern day perspective.

Last edited by jroa on Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
FlyingOrange

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
Nice, good to see adaptations of older works. I wonder if this means the manga is getting an update, which could be possible considering that Slayers, The Twelve Kingdoms and Haruhi Suzumiya all recently released new entries after being on hiatus for a decade. Also Gara gives me Kenshiro vibes. Lidenfilms is pretty hit or miss but the staff looks decent so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
Ironically, I was just thinking the other day that this is a franchise long-overdue for a remake, so this is fantastic news.

Have fond memories of watching the OVAs as the featured Saturday night presentation in packed convention viewing rooms in the late '90s/early 2000s. It was especially fun in the original fansubbed version, where all of the references to '80s and earlier hard rock/metal bands were still intact. (For copyright reasons, most of those references were tweaked out for the official sub and dub versions.) Experiencing the crowd just lose their minds when one of the most epic spells turned out to be called spoiler[Black Sabbath] was a real treat, for instance.

Can't imagine that a new version will retain those references, but the character designs look about the same, so I'll consider this version a success if it can capture the cheeky attitude of the original adaptation. Definitely something I'll be looking forward to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sonryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the original (I have the DVD w/ figure release), and I've read some of the manga, so I'll just sit back and wait to see how this one goes :insert popcorn eating emoji:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5