• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New BASTARD!! -Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy- Anime's Teaser Unveils More Cast, 24-Episode Length,

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:37 pm Reply with quote
A new 'Bastard' series. Wow! Didn't expect this to happen. Now if only someone would re-release the original OVAs of that title.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:01 am Reply with quote
A re-release of the OVAs is a must will casually check this out like I do with all the anime that lands on netflix.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
iamthevastuniverse wrote:
A re-release of the OVAs is a must will casually check this out like I do with all the anime that lands on netflix.

We're looking at you Discotek.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
iamthevastuniverse wrote:

We're looking at you Discotek.

The original Bastard!! OVA was one of those anime produced directly by Shueisha, so the publisher owns the rights to it. That's why it being licensed by Pioneer/Geneon back in the day was treated like a big deal, because it was generally considered impossible, even back then, though at least back then the OVA also saw a DVD release in Japan, which likely is what helped. Today, though, Shueisha looks to have no interest in re-releasing any of its old, directly-produced anime.

If anything, maybe Sentai might have a chance, since it's started licensing some OVAs that Shogakukan directly produced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2