• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - In Which We Discuss a Nintendo Direct

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:45 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Quote:
Okay, so, like… I could write a whole novella about why Chrono Cross makes me irrationally angry, but y'know what? If you're happy about it, that's cool. I can't deny that the OST's excellent.

It's interesting how it seems like public perception of CC has changed over the years. I remember when it first came out, I was incredibly hyped for it -- then when I actually played it, I was pretty disappointed. I decided to give it another try and replay it a few years later, and it ended up just making me angry. It seemed like that was a pretty common opinion among my circle of friends, too; the few people who liked it were people who hadn't played CT first.

My stance on why Chrono Chross irritates the bejeezus out of me is that I felt it was created because someone just couldn't leave its (main) happy ending alone. This bled into the PS1 remake, which is the one I actually bought, only to see an alternate ending that now has everything burn to the ground at the end.

I played Chrono Cross a bit before I even knew this -- I thought of it as more of a different kind of game in a different universe, kinda like Grandia 1 and 2 -- but nope, when I later learned that the above was the fact, well... I wanted nothing more to do with that.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:39 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
Quote:
Also how the heck has Mother 3 not been officially localized yet till date?

I can think of two plausible reasons. First is that based on comments by the developers of the fan translation patch, the game sounds like it would be a nightmare to port to other systems. It sounds like a total mess under the hood. So localizing it would be a relatively expensive endeavour.

The second can be summarized with a single word: Magypsies.

Yeah, the readme file for the fan translation has a list of all the hacks they needed to do to get it running, including having to rewrite the memory allotted so the text wasn't limit to just 40 characters at a time. And that's not the first time this happened either; Earthbound is also infamously complex when it comes to coding. The programming just for its TEXT is probably complex enough to run an emulator on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2