• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Tests New Payment Model for Account Sharing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
Like so many, I hope this "new model" bombs so hard it makes Netflix gun-shy about ever pulling something so stupid again. Greed at its finest, y'all.

Couldn't get the image to work so I'll just leave this here...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOYB-WwXEAYPfQU?format=jpg&name=medium
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
They'll get people using the plan then after a time decide to cancel it and force the sub-subscribers the full price.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:43 am Reply with quote
Ouch. Guess they're hurting for content ideas/labor/rights, and are probably squeezed by inflation like everyone else.

Well, my account's been canceled for a bit due to lack of content. Wasn't account-sharing with anyone, so probably won't change how I use it at all -- re-up for a brief period every once in a long while to check out the small amount of interesting content, drop back out again after.

Will be interesting to see if it hurts or helps their profitability. As this thread is evidence of, could certainly backfire, haha.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the high seas will be getting more crowded. >_>
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:27 am Reply with quote
I travel a lot, so if they're expecting me to pay extra just because I use Netflix in multiple different countries, then, uh, yeah, this is the straw that's going to break the camel's back: I'm definitely canceling.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:29 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Nothing makes customers flock to your service in the current over-competitive streaming market as telling them they now have to pay more for using it the way they always have been. I've been "leeching" from a family member's account for years, if Netflix thinks forcing my relative to kick me off their account is gonna make me want to hire their service they couldn't be more wrong. Punishing users to try to squeeze an extra dime out of them is not the thing that's gonna make me want to give your company more money

I'm not sure how that works: you've never given them any money for years - how are they gonna get any money from you? Laughing

(Or at the very least it's gonna save them some bandwidth money by not streaming to you anymore)

The Not so Chosen One wrote:

And before some dumb wiseass comes here asking people tHeN wHy dOnT yOu jUsT cAnceL YoUr AcCoUnT, it's because I've also been "leeching" from a shared account a family member pays for in my house, so I don't think stop using my account would hurt them in any way whatsoever

If you're in the same household, I think you're safe

matt78 wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:

This is a dumb idea. It's like you buy a large burger for one and share it with a friend but the restaurant demands the other guy has to pay extra for "sharing" it.

There are actually restaurants that do this. I've been to a few where if you buy a meal to share they will charge you for the second plate. I've been to others that don't allow sharing at all.

Buffets don't allow sharing neither - and if ya think about it, Netflix is a buffet Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I'm not sure how that works: you've never given them any money for years - how are they gonna get any money from you? Laughing

(Or at the very least it's gonna save them some bandwidth money by not streaming to you anymore)

I give my relative part of the service cost since they have to get the 4-screen plan for everyone in the family using the account. If Netflix keep adding extra fees upon price increases and that leads to my relative downsizing their account, i'll just have to live without netflix. I'd rather go out of my way to pirate than reward Netflix for their lazy money-grabbing schemes

Furthermore, Netflix's goal with this new system is to force "leechers" to create new accounts, they're desperately grasping at straws to increase their subscriber numbers. And I'm not gonna give them that because instead of offering a better service or better content, they decide to instead just punish users (for doing something the company itself used to encourage in the past) and raise fees
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I feel like if Streaming Services keep getting more and more greedy, Cable might actually make a comeback. Owning these Streaming Services is already almost the same amount as Cable if you combine the prices for all of them. And then if they start charging you extra for sharing the account, it will just feel easier just to get Cable so that way you only have a pay for 1 service instead of like 20.

Though since cable is really just a bunch of subscriptions to multiple channels, that happen to be subsumed into one bill, it's really not so different from the streaming landscape. Except that streaming is often ad-free and doesn't have the linear scheduling constraints of cable. Even while paying for several streaming subscriptions, consumers are still coming out ahead, relative to the pre-streaming status quo. But it wasn't ever realistic for consumers to expect "everything I got from my now-cancelled cable subscription, for 1/8 of the price" from Netflix or any other one streaming service.

AntiKuro wrote:
These prices raises is just going to drive people right back into pirating content like in the old days.

Top Gun wrote:
Looks like the high seas will be getting more crowded. >_>

I guess it's been too long since my last stay at Gabe Newell's Steamentology Re-Education Camps, because it's sure sounding like piracy is a pricing problem...
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But it wasn't ever realistic for consumers to expect "everything I got from my now-cancelled cable subscription, for 1/8 of the price" from Netflix or any other one streaming service.

People were spoiled by the early days of Netflix. But Netflix is doing what broadcasters have done forever, raise prices. One reason cable prices are high, is because broadcasters raise the prices on them (which is why every now and then you get those goofy carriage disputes), and the cable companies share the burden with the customer.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:00 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I feel like if Streaming Services keep getting more and more greedy, Cable might actually make a comeback....

Odd that the streaming subscription renewals with Dorna for MotoGP and WSBK dropped almost 20% in price this year, despite Dorna taking massive financial hits due to dramatic drops in paid racing weekend attendance from COVID-19 related restrictions.

matt78 wrote:
There are actually restaurants that do this. I've been to a few where if you buy a meal to share they will charge you for the second plate. I've been to others that don't allow sharing at all.

I would let the manager know that it was my first and only visit to said establishment (all you can eat buffet excluded, of course).
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

And before some dumb wiseass comes here asking people tHeN wHy dOnT yOu jUsT cAnceL YoUr AcCoUnT, it's because I've also been "leeching" from a shared account a family member pays for in my house, so I don't think stop using my account would hurt them in any way whatsoever

If you're in the same household, I think you're safe.

Oh good, the first dumbass who replied to my comment without reading the context, apparently. Thank you for proving me right.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:30 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

If you're in the same household, I think you're safe.

Oh good, the first dumbass who replied to my comment without reading the context, apparently. Thank you for proving me right.

What are ya talking about? If you're in the same household, you're safe - ya don't have to pay extra, since you're already "leeching from a shared account a family member pays for in [your] house." Ya don't need to do anything
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:18 am Reply with quote
My reaction is that the vast majority of Netflix subscribers will simply accept the change and continue on as before. The extra will be paid for legitimate out of house users. Netflix most likely has statistics as to how many will drop the service or drop to a lower tier subscription. Many will find that the availability of the service will improve dramatically.

My wife's nephew had a password for a friends subscription. He offered it to his entire extended family for use, most of whom had never seen or heard of the friend. The biggest effect will be that this sort of random sharing will stop. The loss of these users will not cost Netflix a cent, even if none of them breakdown and subscribe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2