• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Battle for Union Anime Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Unfortunately, the pessimistic part of me still thinks hell will freeze over before a non-union studio based in Texas goes union, although things are definitely capable of change (the Netflix SAG-AFTRA agreement is a pretty recent thing after all). And while voice acting rates in Funi projects have risen recently to meet the recommended standard for non-union work (although I believe said recommended standard has risen again since this tweet since it was a year prior: https://twitter.com/marinmmillerVO/status/1463221932329820161), I know that improvement is not the case for every actor given the tiered rate system (aka actors who don't know or feel like they can advocate for higher pay/don't have an agent that gets them that automatic boost).

But my own feelings on the future aside, I couldn't help but feel apprehensive for a while about fans jumping aboard and discussing the whole union vs non-union issue like this for a while due to the one-sided nature of which actors were predominately talking about it & how easy it can be to spread misinformation about SAG-AFTRA. The former because it felt like only LA actors, either mostly working on SAG projects already + are at least fi-core if not already in the union, were the only people driving the conversation (admittedly for good reason). The latter is self-explanatory even in the article: issues like how of a huge percentage of Texas' acting gigs in general are non-union so what would that mean for local talent if Funiroll did go union (TX being a right-to-work state really only means you can't be forced to join even when working on union projects), misinformation on Taft-Hartley paperwork (how much is involved + whether companies would bother with it to that kind of level), high costs of membership & dues being different in different states, what all this means for international actors who only just started getting a foot in the door with remote recording, etc....

While everyone and their mother agrees the rates in general for dubbing need to improve, when you see the actual acting pool disagreeing online about unionization, even if a lot of it is primarily due to misinformation about said union, my instinct is usually to wait until there's something more organized and concrete to point others to (see the video game VA strike a few years back). I'm more hopeful than ever though that we are heading in that direction.

All in all, it's nice to see ANN publishing an article like this for something so important! SAG-AFTRA as a whole is being pulled so thin right now dealing with COVID fallout + organizations like CODA are made up of volunteers and can't be there to answer every single question or concern 24/7. It's beneficial for companies to have actors be misinformed about unionization and not talk about it, just as its better for them to have the general public not care about it at all. So anything like this that makes those two things harder is always a good thing.

This can be said about many socio-political issues. Yes, many people will agree or disagree something should be changed. However, the ways to make such changes a bit more practical can be another story.
Crackler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
Opportunity for more dubs from Ocean and Blue Water??

PLEASE
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Article:
Quote:
Then there's the elephant in the room: FUNimation's dubs were produced largely in Texas, a “right-to-work” state, and will likely remain there under Crunchyroll management. Right-to-work laws, which exist in 27 mostly Republican-controlled U.S. states, allow workers to take a job at a company with a union contract without having to join the union or pay dues. This significantly reduces SAG's influence over studios by removing a source of funding and their biggest bargaining chip: access to top talent. That means far fewer union productions than states without right-to-work laws, like California and New York. And the union penalizes members for working non-union shows, driving some actors who work primarily with Texas-based companies — anime voice actors, for instance — to forego union membership entirely.

Republican here. How might right to work laws have been different if that say "27 mostly-Democrat-controlled U.S. states"?

What if everything was peanut butter?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
From some interviews I've seen, the lack of Union dubs being done in California, was what killed the dub scene there in the late 00s. Bandai, and I think Geneon, did mostly union dubs. So when they went, the common VAs of the day lost work and moved over to video games and American animation.

I wonder if Crunchyroll will still have some of their dubs recorded in LA, or only use Funimation from now on. I guess given that Funimation no longer have a streaming service, it might be that everything CR gets, they dub.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
That'll only lead to a massive drop in anime getting dubs, if not a total elimination of them.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
With all the truckloads of money Sony has put into Funimation and CR and other companies, it just seems miserly that they would continue to exploit Texas labor laws to avoid doing right by their actors.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a reason why allot of the dubbing moved over from Canada to the states was because it was so much cheaper. It would be great if this opened more opportunities for Canadian dubbing if the market is more even.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Kusakabe wrote:
I feel like a reason why allot of the dubbing moved over from Canada to the states was because it was so much cheaper. It would be great if this opened more opportunities for Canadian dubbing if the market is more even.

Yep.
Canada doesn't have anything like non-union or fi-core. Its union or bust; even in places like Calgary or Toronto which are budget studios vs big places like Vancouver.

They'll just find a loophole.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Crackler wrote:
Opportunity for more dubs from Ocean and Blue Water??

PLEASE

Blue Water's the only non-union studio out there in Canada. Though most, if not every, voice actor is unionized under ACTRA, so anime dubs outside of those by Blue Water (who have loopholes despite this) are considered union dubs by default. And I don't see Crunchy, Sony or Funi sparing the expense to do that, since not only are they Union, they're more expensive due to exchange rates being what they are. (unless that's all changed, I don't follow the Canadian dubbing scene all that much)

And they don't want that. And unless the Funi/Sentai actor pool decide to also rally for union status or union fees (given how many of Funi's recent dubs use union or fi-core actors from LA, New York and Canada in major roles at times), they're probably going to get more work than the Union actors will.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
From some interviews I've seen, the lack of Union dubs being done in California, was what killed the dub scene there in the late 00s. Bandai, and I think Geneon, did mostly union dubs. So when they went, the common VAs of the day lost work and moved over to video games and American animation.

I wonder if Crunchyroll will still have some of their dubs recorded in LA, or only use Funimation from now on. I guess given that Funimation no longer have a streaming service, it might be that everything CR gets, they dub.

Funimation already outsourced some of their dubs already, so I wouldn't be surprised if they still use LA studios for some dubs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
It’s interesting when you think about how all of Sony’s first party games for PlayStation pretty much all of them do use union actors but can’t stretch that out into dubbing for anime with Crunchyroll

And a tad ironic since the "go-to" actors for their first-party games tend to be people who came out of the anime dubbing scene, like Laura Bailey and Troy Baker.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people seem to think Funimation/Crunchyroll and Sentai can't pay their actors union rates because they're based in a right-to-work state. That's just not true. You can have union projects in RtW states; you just can't require that all actors be union. And every state is slightly different. Here in Virginia, we're a RtW state, but union film/TV projects must cast a certain amount of union talent before they can consider non-union. They only Taft-Hartley a non-union actor if they can't fill the role with a union actor. I was Taft-Hartleyed on one project because they needed a look-alike for a principal actor, and I was already on set doing background (and my pay went way, way, way up).
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:

Blue Water's the only non-union studio out there in Canada.

Blue Water's owned by Ocean; they're more of a budget studio though iirc and used for smaller scale projects which is why you rarely hear any of the big Ocean regulars do work there regularly, although they do swap based on the project iirc.

Last edited by GNPixie on Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
poltroon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this solid and insightful article.

The cheapness of so many dubs is really shooting the studios in the financial foot, whether they understand that or not.

Studio Ghibli's works got royal treatment with experienced and high quality actors and bringing those projects to a US audience with those voice tracks was extremely profitable.

Bad voice acting, or rushed voice acting, just turns people off from the genre entirely. I am happy with subs, but not everyone is neurologically able to manage reading subtitles and take in the action at the needed pace to really enjoy them. Dubs are an important and valuable part of anime. But so many of them are... Just So Terrible. I wish every actor was given the time to watch the sub and really nail the lines of their character, as well as for better matches between the voices.

For people not familiar with these production processes, the pay is just for the time actually on the job. It does not count audition time or prep time. And auditions... since the company doesn't pay for them, they're happy to waste the time of the participants with long lines/wait times. So for actors at this level, if you're there for the money, Costco probably pays better, until or unless you land a hit, longtime series.
scowler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Any examples of current anime getting non-union dubs, that would otherwise stay sub-only if union talent was required? I'm thinking of shows like 86 or Don't Toy with me Nagatoro.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5