• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Super Hero Film Earns US$10.7 Million on Opening Day in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I just got back from seeing it. I don't know if it's the adrenalin talking, but It might be my favorite Dragon Ball film.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
can you imagine the box office take if Demon Slayer takes the Mugen Train route and turns it's final arc, Infinity Castle, into a movie.

I hope they end Demon Slayer as an anime TV show. The movie route gave them money, but it's unfair that we had to wait 8 months for it to come to my country, and given the wait for Jujutsu Kaisen O, I think another movie will take the same time in coming out elsewhre after Japan. If the idea is make it a 3-part movie thing, then might as well should just stick to the TV show.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
a few factors that need to be highlighted here...

1. Ticket prices in America are literally doubled now compared to even just 4 years ago. they've been going up a ton every year or so. this obviously means breaking profit records is easier

2. more screens than most other anime movies

3. Opening at #1 wasn't so hard to do this week because basically nothing else came out. I couldn't even find any major releases for the week except for Dragon Ball

so it's a cool accomplishment but there are A LOT of things in favor of making this happen aside from the movie itself

edit: Biggest other movie was apparently Beast which I've never even heard of until now so they must've not had a great ad campaign, and also the reviews have been outright terrible lol
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
edit: Biggest other movie was apparently Beast which I've never even heard of until now so they must've not had a great ad campaign, and also the reviews have been outright terrible lol
Well, we are in the second half of the dump months. Just about everything that will be released will have terrible reviews. This is when bad movies typically get released on purpose as if the studio had confidence in them, they'd release them during the months they see as more valuable for box office potential.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dump_months
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DumpMonths
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
idkAlan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I saw the film on Friday, I thought my local cinema was going to show it as a regular film but was pleasantly surprised that they gave it an UHD Dolby showing, as that's usually for major blockbuster films.

spoiler[
I did enjoy it but I did felt that Gohan's "ultimate beast" transformation was rather un-earned especially since they gave him the "Ultra Instict" glow.

I could see Gohan going SS2/SS3, given his lack of training & how he was pretty much placed in the background for years.

Also yeah, most Super Saiyan transformations have been linked to rage/emotion, but Gohan couldn't have gotten that huge power boost that quick.

Piccolo's new transformation was extremely well deserved as he constantly trained.

]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:32 am Reply with quote
Our big group literally occupied 2 long rows of the theater room Laughing

The Great Saiyaman 1 & 2 should've fought the new androids

A lot of people appreciated the increased humor ala the original Dragonball, even the butt-service.......... and hoping a Broly vs. Beerus matchup for the next movie because...... y'know Wink
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:31 am Reply with quote
Heres something that caught my eye earlier today. Kamehameha record from San Diego comic con is broken

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/culture/article-715178
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 am Reply with quote
Bigonanime: I think they genuinely expected Beast to be a hit, a mini Jurassic, and were shocked that the anime film won. Maybe, because Super Hero underperformed in Japan, but they get that kind of thing all the time, while it's a treat for every other fan.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Its had a full release in the UK, previously anime films have only ever been shown for one/two days but both subbed and dubbed versions of this film have a wide release with multiple showings a day for at least a full week. Also heavily trailing Film Red so I think we may see similar for One Piece.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
and Elba hasn't had a hit which wasn't Sonic or Thor.

Pacific Rim, Hobbs & Shaw, The Jungle Book, Zootopia, (debatably) 28 Weeks Later.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Blues: Pacific Rim barely made money. Other films you mentioned are still supporting roles at best.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Blues: Pacific Rim barely made money

True but you don’t make a sequel to a movie that barely made money or spin-offs.

GATSU wrote:
Other films you mentioned are still supporting roles at best.

If that’s the metric you want to measure by then your mentioning of Thor and even Sonic 2 makes no sense in relation to you point. As he was not the lead in either film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Blues: They wanna make sequels to R.I.P.D. and 47 Ronin, which means they're outta ideas. And the point is Elba's never been in a hit movie in which he was the lead.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And the point is Elba's never been in a hit movie in which he was the lead.

True. He's a good actor but unfortunately he's no box office magnet.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Bigonanime: I think they genuinely expected Beast to be a hit, a mini Jurassic, and were shocked that the anime film won. Maybe, because Super Hero underperformed in Japan, but they get that kind of thing all the time, while it's a treat for every other fan.
I can assure you they did not based on the late August release date. August is one of the lowest grossing months at the box office every year. The studios save the "good" movies for the months they see as more valuable, and drop the "bad" movies they have no confidence in during the months seen as less valuable. I've worked at a movie theater for 10 years and January, February, late August, and September are just terrible for business. Look at each month and you'll see August is not one of the higher-grossing months. You'll also see things that opened in late August typically didn't open great.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/month/?ref_=bo_nb_hm_secondarytab
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/release_top_opn_wkd_in_month/?in_occasion=august&ref_=bo_csw_ac

The date for Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero was chosen with how bad late August is in mind. It was going to be the only draw for the next few weeks, especially around Labor Day weekend which is always one of the lowest-grossing weekends of the year. Similarly, Dragon Ball Super: Broly opened in January for similar reasons. Anime fans will come out whenever, and when there's no competition, that's very benificial.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3