• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RetroCrush Streams Cyber City Oedo 808 OVA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I actually had no idea you had sent me a message, I forget that Pm is even a thing on this site so i never chek and I had no notification sent to me.
mdo7 wrote:
Again, we don't know how many people watching adult animation may crossover to anime. I mean it's possible for someone who could watch Legend of Vox Machina could end up watching Record of Lodoss War OVA. How are you so sure there are 2 different audiences when it comes to adult animation and mature/adult Japanese animation? How are you so sure that one audience demographic will not crossover to anime assuming that person never watch anime or not aware of violent/gory anime OVAs from the 80's/90's? Maybe it doesn't sound crazy for someone who watch adult animation on Netflix or Prime Video could end up watching M.D Geist, Genocyber, & Violence Jack because somebody on a Reddit recommended more adult animation and let say 5-15 anime fans on that reddit topic recommended anime OVAs like the one I just mentioned to those fans that are hungry for more adult animation. That's how you have people that watch adult animation on Netflix & Prime Video could end up crossing over to anime (& probably older anime including the OVAs from the 80's/90's).
Just to be clear, this is not something that I saying as an undisputed fact that I could prove without a shadow of a doubt, in the same way there is no guarantee you are correct neither am I.

Getting to the root of question, I feel that you asking me a question that I have already answered "How are you so sure there are 2 different audiences when it comes to adult animation and mature/adult Japanese animation?" Because they are completely different sorts of adult animation. Those Anime titles(there some exceptions that you have mentioned, ie Gall Force) as I said fall under the category of Grindhouse style exploitation, they are more similar to low budget exploration Films of the 70s, only updated for the 80s and more violent, than to the current crop of what is being called adult animation. I mean one of them has the word Violence in the title while another is a portmanteau containing the word Genocide, sounds right at home next to I spite on Your Grave.

As for modern adult animation, I certainly can not see how any of it is in any way in the same wheelhouse or even remotely similar. The show you mentioned, Legend of Vox Machina, going by the action it would have more crossover appeal with a Anime based on a Weekly Shonen Jump title and the style of comedy is not even like Anime of today, never mind from when you are talking of. As for Love, Death & Robots and Gall Force, well I have seen the first Gall Force, and unless the series take a dramatic turn with the second, i have no idea why some who is a fan of the former would be interested in Gall Force.

Just so we are on the same page here, your belief that there is a crossover audience between the two, is not just because they are both classed as adult animation? Because I can't shake this feeling that that is the case. Take inside Job for example, why would that shows audience, a work place comedy along the veins of BoJack Horseman, be interested in Wicked City, a dark fantasy action horror Film, for a reason outside of both being targeted for adults(adults from different generations and countries)?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I actually had no idea you had sent me a message, I forget that Pm is even a thing on this site so i never chek and I had no notification sent to me.

Then I recommend you start checking your private message more often, Marshal. Also turn on the PM notification alert, because you may start receiving PMs from me and other people because this moderation process is painful and very slow (hence why I send you a PM to bypass the moderation process) for me. How on earth do you forget that PM is a thing on ANN, Marshal?

MarshalBanana wrote:
Just to be clear, this is not something that I saying as an undisputed fact that I could prove without a shadow of a doubt, in the same way there is no guarantee you are correct neither am I.

Getting to the root of question, I feel that you asking me a question that I have already answered "How are you so sure there are 2 different audiences when it comes to adult animation and mature/adult Japanese animation?" Because they are completely different sorts of adult animation. Those Anime titles(there some exceptions that you have mentioned, ie Gall Force) as I said fall under the category of Grindhouse style exploitation, they are more similar to low budget exploration Films of the 70s, only updated for the 80s and more violent, than to the current crop of what is being called adult animation. I mean one of them has the word Violence in the title while another is a portmanteau containing the word Genocide, sounds right at home next to I spite on Your Grave.

As for modern adult animation, I certainly can not see how any of it is in any way in the same wheelhouse or even remotely similar. The show you mentioned, Legend of Vox Machina, going by the action it would have more crossover appeal with a Anime based on a Weekly Shonen Jump title and the style of comedy is not even like Anime of today, never mind from when you are talking of. As for Love, Death & Robots and Gall Force, well I have seen the first Gall Force, and unless the series take a dramatic turn with the second, i have no idea why some who is a fan of the former would be interested in Gall Force.

Just so we are on the same page here, your belief that there is a crossover audience between the two, is not just because they are both classed as adult animation? Because I can't shake this feeling that that is the case. Take inside Job for example, why would that shows audience, a work place comedy along the veins of BoJack Horseman, be interested in Wicked City, a dark fantasy action horror Film, for a reason outside of both being targeted for adults(adults from different generations and countries)?

But back on topic, it's possible someone who has never watch anime but watch adult animation could crossover to anime if that person is seeking more adult animation and out of nowhere a anime fans recommended anime to that fan of adult animation that never watch anime before.

So it's not crazy for someone who watch Legend of Vox Machina to end up watching Record of Lodoss War OVA, or even Slayers because of the medieval setting, and the animation are both aimed at older viewers. So that's how a crossover could happen.

I could say the same thing for someone who watched Love, Death & Robots could end up watching Gall Force, Bubblegum Crisis, and AD Police. Again, an anime fan (assuming this anime fan watched old school OVAs) can recommend anime (including the old-school/retro OVAs) to someone who watch Love, Death, & Robots who had no previous exposure to anime. So yes, that's possible, and that could lead to the same person watching Cyber City Oedo 808 OVA as a result.

So can this crossover happened even if the animation genre is different? I think it's possible, I mean could someone who watched Inside Job on Netflix ended up watching Project A-Ko, and Cat Girl Nuku Nuku. I've heard of stories of a person who became a anime fans just from watching some adult animation like Family Guy, Futurama (I assume this person may have watch anime on Adult Swim). But now we're living in the era of the internet, Youtube, & social media. So there could be a lot of people that watch adult animation on Netflix, Prime Video, etc.... could crossover to anime. That crossover could include the 80's/90's OVAs because of the hunger for adult animation, those OVAs could fulfilled that hunger for those fans. They won't care how old it is, just as long as it's mature animation to them, they'll watch it. So yes, it wouldn't sound crazy for 5 people who are fans of Love, Death & Robots (& assuming they had no previous exposure to anime) to end up watching Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, Crusher Joe, Dirty Pair, & Space Adventure Cobra all because they were seeking out more animation that had sci-fi and mature theme.

Marshal, we're living in an era where adult animation in the US is now thriving, the situation is now different compared to the 90's, and early 2000's. So a lot of our 80's/90's OVA including Cyber City Oedo 808 could find new life in the era of adult animation's popularity in the US with the same demographics.

off topic, but tangent (& relevent to this topic): I read an article from CBR about why My Hero Academia was a hit in the US, when Tiger & Bunny didn't back in 2011. And this part got my attention:

CBR wrote:
My Hero Academia hit during the era of streaming while Tiger & Bunny's 2011 release may have been too early. Additionally, with anime and manga continuing to grow in popularity and even being referenced more prevalently by various musical artists, especially those in the hip-hop community, the right timing could be another contributing factor in success.

Regardless of their differences, both My Hero Academia and Tiger & Bunny have compelling characters and stories that resonate with a lot of fans. With its upcoming season set to release in 2022, Tiger & Bunny could yet hit the mainstream and reach an untapped well of fans who missed out the first time around.

After reading this, I'm hoping that Tiger & Bunny could find new life today thanks to the mainstream popularity of My Hero Academia, and I assumed the 2nd season ONA that is on Netflix could help achieve that success in the US it deserved.

So my point is that if My Hero Academia can give Tiger & Bunny new life when it comes to superheroes animation. Then maybe and I'm hoping adult animation's rising popularity in the US could lead to 80's/90's anime OVAs including Cyber City Oedo 808 could find new life today. I'm confident there could be a major crossover from audiences that watch adult animation branching out to anime & hopefully 80's/90's anime OVAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Temujin25S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:37 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Then I recommend you start checking your private message more often, Marshal. Also turn on the PM notification alert, because you may start receiving PMs from me and other people because this moderation process is painful and very slow (hence why I send you a PM to bypass the moderation process) for me. How on earth do you forget that PM is a thing on ANN, Marshal?

MarshalBanana wrote:

But back on topic, it's possible someone who has never watch anime but watch adult animation could crossover to anime if that person is seeking more adult animation and out of nowhere a anime fans recommended anime to that fan of adult animation that never watch anime before.

So it's not crazy for someone who watch Legend of Vox Machina to end up watching Record of Lodoss War OVA, or even Slayers because of the medieval setting, and the animation are both aimed at older viewers. So that's how a crossover could happen.

I could say the same thing for someone who watched Love, Death & Robots could end up watching Gall Force, Bubblegum Crisis, and AD Police. Again, an anime fan (assuming this anime fan watched old school OVAs) can recommend anime (including the old-school/retro OVAs) to someone who watch Love, Death, & Robots who had no previous exposure to anime. So yes, that's possible, and that could lead to the same person watching Cyber City Oedo 808 OVA as a result.

So can this crossover happened even if the animation genre is different? I think it's possible, I mean could someone who watched Inside Job on Netflix ended up watching Project A-Ko, and Cat Girl Nuku Nuku. I've heard of stories of a person who became a anime fans just from watching some adult animation like Family Guy, Futurama (I assume this person may have watch anime on Adult Swim). But now we're living in the era of the internet, Youtube, & social media. So there could be a lot of people that watch adult animation on Netflix, Prime Video, etc.... could crossover to anime. That crossover could include the 80's/90's OVAs because of the hunger for adult animation, those OVAs could fulfilled that hunger for those fans. They won't care how old it is, just as long as it's mature animation to them, they'll watch it. So yes, it wouldn't sound crazy for 5 people who are fans of Love, Death & Robots (& assuming they had no previous exposure to anime) to end up watching Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, Crusher Joe, Dirty Pair, & Space Adventure Cobra all because they were seeking out more animation that had sci-fi and mature theme.

Marshal, we're living in an era where adult animation in the US is now thriving, the situation is now different compared to the 90's, and early 2000's. So a lot of our 80's/90's OVA including Cyber City Oedo 808 could find new life in the era of adult animation's popularity in the US with the same demographics.

off topic, but tangent (& relevent to this topic): I read an article from CBR about why My Hero Academia was a hit in the US, when Tiger & Bunny didn't back in 2011. And this part got my attention:

CBR wrote:
My Hero Academia hit during the era of streaming while Tiger & Bunny's 2011 release may have been too early. Additionally, with anime and manga continuing to grow in popularity and even being referenced more prevalently by various musical artists, especially those in the hip-hop community, the right timing could be another contributing factor in success.

Regardless of their differences, both My Hero Academia and Tiger & Bunny have compelling characters and stories that resonate with a lot of fans. With its upcoming season set to release in 2022, Tiger & Bunny could yet hit the mainstream and reach an untapped well of fans who missed out the first time around.

After reading this, I'm hoping that Tiger & Bunny could find new life today thanks to the mainstream popularity of My Hero Academia, and I assumed the 2nd season ONA that is on Netflix could help achieve that success in the US it deserved.

So my point is that if My Hero Academia can give Tiger & Bunny new life when it comes to superheroes animation. Then maybe and I'm hoping adult animation's rising popularity in the US could lead to 80's/90's anime OVAs including Cyber City Oedo 808 could find new life today. I'm confident there could be a major crossover from audiences that watch adult animation branching out to anime & hopefully 80's/90's anime OVAs.

I'm sorry but what you hope won't happen teens and kids only interested in the latest anime then rate of titles coming out further helps disregard 80s and 90s. The older anime to them only goes further back to 2000s, there's other aspect old school anime fans pretend doesn't exist among a portion of the growing fanbase they don't like cel animation. The only hope if want kids and teens to get into 80s and 90s anime is unfortunately remake them, older fans of anime fans are clamouring for older titles to get rise in popularity it's just the reality.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:43 am Reply with quote
Temujin25S wrote:

I'm sorry but what you hope won't happen teens and kids only interested in the latest anime then rate of titles coming out further helps disregard 80s and 90s. The older anime to them only goes further back to 2000s, there's other aspect old school anime fans pretend doesn't exist among a portion of the growing fanbase they don't like cel animation. The only hope if want kids and teens to get into 80s and 90s anime is unfortunately remake them, older fans of anime fans are clamouring for older titles to get rise in popularity it's just the reality.

And you're basing this on what? That's quite a blanket statement you made there, what evidence(s) do you have that verified your statements and your views? Did you ask every young anime fans out there what kind of old school anime do they watch? Did you ask them would they watch any 80's, and 90's anime?

Because do you realize not every young anime fans are going to have ANN accounts, MAL, or Anilist profile to tell you what they watch? Do you know there are anime fans that don't have Reddit accounts (I'm one of them)? How are you 100% definitive that all young anime fans won't watch any anime from the 90's and 80's, did you ask everyone of them???

I mean do you realize there maybe a young anime fan (a teen or college kid) who could be an art or drawing student, and that young anime fan may need to look to 80's and 90's anime for art/drawing inspiration. There maybe young student out there that are looking at cel-drawn animation (which 80's and 90's anime are made out of), and character design for inspiration. I like to add that you don't know how many young anime fan out there that might be attracted to 80's and 90's anime because of the character design and asethetics. Anime from 80's and 90's can have beautiful aesthetics that might stand out to younger fans (that include one who is a art/drawing major).

I also want to remind you that there are young fans of retrogaming out there (yes, they exist), meaning a 16 year old kid who was born after 4th era/16-bit generation doesn't stop that same 16 years old from becoming a retro-gamer. So yeah, a 16 year old gamer today can still end up playing Night Trap, Final Fantasy 7, or even Street Fighter 2. no matter if the game hasn't aged well or not. So if young retro gamers exist, then how are you so sure there isn't a group of young "retro" anime fanbase out there? Case in example: my 12 year old niece took a liking toward the classic older Sailor Moon a bit over Sailor Moon Crystal, I introduced her to Cardcaptor Sakura when she was 7 years old (she loved the anime so much, I bought her the manga), and I even let her watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (she watched it subtitled, and not dubbed) at that age. She's able to watch older anime, and she's mature for her age. So before you go around saying younger anime fan don't have appreciation for older anime, please think about young retro-gamers, and my 12 year old niece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2