• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Unveils The Super Mario Bros. Movie Animated Film's Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well I liked the first part with Bowser and the penguins, it was predictable but not in a bad way. The rest is basically what i expected. Middle of the road, if you are a die hard fan or a small child it's for you, anybody else might as well give it a pass.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Too bad this movie has Chris Pratt in it, because otherwise the rest of the cast looks solid. Hard pass.

Calling it “hard pass” seems rather harsh, don’t ya think?

I think it looks promising enough since I’m pretty big Mario fan.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I liked the trailer and Jack Black's voice as Bowser.

I was only disappointed to hear Mario's voice. Chris Pratt be sounding the exact same...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Jack Black nailed it as Bowser! Chris Pratt as Mario? Ehh....not sold yet. I need to hear more voice clips before I can form a proper opinion. I also need to hear Luigi's actor too.

But, if the rest of the movie plays out as well as what we've seen in the opener with Bowser, then this could be a bigger hit than expected.

I also get the hate with Chris Pratt and understandably so. I also had the same feelings for Shia LeBouf but I'm willing to give Chris a fair chance here.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate that Chris Pratt's performance feels like it's gonna bring everything down because the rest of the movie looks great between the visuals and other performances. During the direct you could really tell who was far more passionate between Jack Black and Pratt's segments.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Animation great.
Chris Pratt sucks, I don't even know who he is.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I 100% agree that Pratt should've given a considerably thicker accent for Mario instead of his normal voice, but at the same time I feel some people are being overly critical of his performance - and some here seen to use this as an excuse to voice their hate for the guy in general - when the lines used here aren't the best.

Everything else about this movie looks surprisingly great, though.
largobargin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Everyone seems very keen to criticize Chris Pratt...

Gee, I wonder why?
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:48 pm Reply with quote
largobargin wrote:

Gee, I wonder why?

Because he sure doesn't sound like the Mario we know. But it's too early to tell the overall quality of his voice work, so I myself won't be jumping the gun just yet.
frubam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:52 pm Reply with quote
One wonders if they were gonna give Charles Martinet a role in this movie, who already has Miyamoto's stamp of approval for the voice, why didn't they just make him Mario? Probably much better than Pratt and less expensive to hire(I'd guess; don't know what they're paying Martinet these days).
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 pm Reply with quote
largobargin wrote:

Gee, I wonder why?

I think a lot of people had doubts because they just didn't match him for Mario. He was great in the Lego movie but for this, was kind of subpar.

I genuinely prefer 90's cartoon Mario or even the original VO for the game and I wonder how he will fit in the movie tbh.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Jack Black is the only actor in this I've heard of.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
I 100% agree that Pratt should've given a considerably thicker accent for Mario instead of his normal voice, but at the same time I feel some people are being overly critical of his performance - and some here seen to use this as an excuse to voice their hate for the guy in general - when the lines used here aren't the best.

I think people would find that offensive if Pratt put on a thick stereotypical Italian accent. The days of doing stuff like that are long over. He did have a bit of an accent in the trailer though so I think it's a fine voice.

I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer over all. I had my fears it would be a typical modern animated childrens film with annoying pop culture music playing and cringy Shrek-like jokes that so many people made copypastas and mock ups of what the trailer would look like did . But there wasn't really any of that. The closest you got to a generic animated trailer was the hard cut from the penguins epically throwing snowballs to Bowser just looking unfazed. Hopefully the rest of the movie turns out well.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
So, they basically made this into another Isekai, right? Wink
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
largobargin wrote:

Gee, I wonder why?

Probably because it's just him doing his regular voice with no attempt to get into a character. Because he's not a voice actor and thus has no idea about how to actually act with just his voice. The fact that he's being put side to side with Jack Black who sounds like he's putting in thrice the amount of effort makes it all the more apparent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5