• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Square Enix Employees Arrested for Insider Trading

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
The trouble was that Naka hired Sonic as his broker. He trades stocks so fast that it looks like insider trading.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
On Nintendolife, there was a story with one of the American programmers who was working on a star fox style shooter for Dreamcast before the official launch. Yuji Naka was in the Sega of America's U.S. based office looking at the work and said in Japanese to one of his people, that he was going to fire everyone working on that game and bring in only one of the programmers to work exclusively on HIS project. Unbeknownst to Yuji, several people in the Sega of America office were fluent in Japanese including the lead programmer, and they were all shocked at what he was saying. Needless to say the star fox style game was canned, and the rest is history as the say.

The bottom line is, that Yuji Naka was willing to sabotage his own company for personal gain. To say I'm surprised, would be lying. I'm not surprised.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:42 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
On Nintendolife, there was a story with one of the American programmers who was working on a star fox style shooter for Dreamcast before the official launch. Yuji Naka was in the Sega of America's U.S. based office looking at the work and said in Japanese to one of his people, that he was going to fire everyone working on that game and bring in only one of the programmers to work exclusively on HIS project. Unbeknownst to Yuji, several people in the Sega of America office were fluent in Japanese including the lead programmer, and they were all shocked at what he was saying. Needless to say the star fox style game was canned, and the rest is history as the say.
Wait no I've heard this story, what happened was he and the Sonic Adventure team were there and he told his team in Japanese to remember what they saw and use it in their game in their game. Only they understand Japanese and was mad at him for blatantly stealing their game mechanics and quite the company in pretest.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:12 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
Wait no I've heard this story, what happened was he and the Sonic Adventure team were there and he told his team in Japanese to remember what they saw and use it in their game in their game. Only they understand Japanese and was mad at him for blatantly stealing their game mechanics and quite the company in pretest.

Right, he was going to steal it for whatever game he had in mind, but he also said he would fire most of the team. Keep one person on board for the Sonic game.

A quote from the producer of the canned Geist Force game,
Quote:
Naka came to visit with his team to tour our studio [and] look at our tools and engine; we had a lot of proprietary [and] really phenomenal tech – I would say still to this day, [we had] some stuff that I haven't seen replicated quite at the level we had. [Naka] didn't realize that the people on my team, a lot of them spoke fluent Japanese, including my lead engineer. [Naka] started speaking in Japanese assuming that no one would understand; [he] started talking about what parts of our tech they were going take for Sonic and then basically said as soon as they ship, fire everyone but one of the engineers who knows their system and roll him onto our team for Sonic – and my team heard all that, so you can imagine how they felt. Naka was pretty powerful at Sega at that time.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2021/12/yuji-naka-killed-dreamcasts-star-fox-says-former-sega-producer

Needless to say, the producer of Geist Force said he lost five engineers working on the game, he had no ability to justify the cost to hiring five more people to complete the game, and so it was canned. That was all Naka's doing.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1BRZg0GG0A
Live and learn!
Hanging on the edge of tomorrow,
Live and learn!
From the works of yesterday.
Live and learn!
If you beg or if you borrow,
Live and learn!
You may never find your way.

Whooooa, yeah!

I´ll see myself out but he was always trash. So were a few other key plays during the glory years of Sega Japan. The likes of Isao Okawa were not the norm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!

Whooooa, yeah!

I would’ve went with “catch me if you can”.

Eventhough unlike the actual subjects of said song they did in fact catch Naka.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:09 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!

Whooooa, yeah!

I´ll see myself out but he was always trash. So were a few other key plays during the glory years of Sega Japan. The likes of Isao Okawa were not the norm.

Take the Sonic R theme song

"Everybody was insider trading
you gotta keep from getting found
when your insider trading
there's no time the cops around"
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:20 am Reply with quote
@ranran-001 I stand corrected, I guess the story got changed while being passed around.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

(like IO Interactive, which become independent and now getting quite well without Square)

And Warner Bros.who they partnered with after Square.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe evil Square Enix made Yuji Naka commit insider trading a second time, and force his employees to work on weekends.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Makes me wonder if the police will find more financial crimes as this investigation develops.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Naka is just flat out a bad person. Karma got him so good here. I just know he thought he could get away with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2