• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Animated Film's 2nd Trailer Previews Peach, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Ma

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I think Peach and Luigi sound fine and the animation looks very colorful and expressive and I'm excited for the cameos we're already seeing with the extended Donkey Kong family. I also get the impression they're setting things up for Rosalina and the Mario Galaxy games for a potential sequel.
CrimeVsCrime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I mean, after this trailer it's pretty safe to say anyone still specifically picking on Pratt has ulterior motives. Mario sound no worse off than Bowser or Luigi, and far better than Peach. Peach is the obviously worse one due to the whole girlboss thing everyone predicted and she sounds and acts completely antithetical to how she does in the games. Some confident, modern, California snarky girl. Easily the most miscast voice revealed. Not really a fan of the whole 'incompetent Mario, girlboss Peach' angle they seem to be going for in general.

That shot of Donkey Kong at the end looks dopey. No idea if he actually talks in the film or just grunts but if he starts just being Seth Rogan drug jokes then I'm out lol.

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
What "self-aware ironic writing" was there in this trailer? There are some generic jokes thrown in it, but at this point you're just complaining about things that aren't even there to begin with.

Toads calling themselves adorable, for one. Other jokes like Mario charging DK then suddenly getting stopped and beat up. There's a lot of typical animated movie humor here.

Now we wait to see if there's a Dancy Party ending.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now we wait to see if there's a Dancy Party ending

To be fair, Mario did have his own dance named after him. https://youtu.be/65uNCLBTje0
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:52 pm Reply with quote
CrimeVsCrime wrote:
I mean, after this trailer it's pretty safe to say anyone still specifically picking on Pratt has ulterior motives. Mario sound no worse off than Bowser or Luigi, and far better than Peach. Peach is the obviously worse one due to the whole girlboss thing everyone predicted and she sounds and acts completely antithetical to how she does in the games. Some confident, modern, California snarky girl. Easily the most miscast voice revealed. Not really a fan of the whole 'incompetent Mario, girlboss Peach' angle they seem to be going for in general.

Say other people have ulterior motives, then proceeds to say something that has basically nothing to do with vocal performance and is just an excuse to complain about a perceived agenda. The irony here would be staggering if you had the capacity to understand it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure why people are acting like “girl boss Peach” is some new thing for this movie when it was basically her personality in the DiC Mario cartoons which this movie is clearly basing it’s lore after. Peach has also had expanded roles in the games dating back to Super Mario Bros 2 and Mario RPG. Girl boss Peach is also pretty much her role in the Mario Party and sports games and Mario Kart.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
thepepin wrote:
The reason why you didn't want Chris Pratt to get this role has nothing to do with "justice for voice actors". It is because you dislike Chris Pratt. Why?

I don't care about any of the stuff you're rattling on here, but I'll tell you why I'm not liking Chris Pratt in this role so far: his voice acting sucks.

I am not a fan of Nintendo, I am not a fan of videogame based movies in general and I am not a fan of celebrities, but I AM a fan of good voice acting. In any language (japanese, english, spanish (my own language)). And what little we've heard from him in these trailers is so incredibly underwhelming for a character that is so beloved and iconic across multiple generations.

So yeah. Not everything is about.... social commentary or whatever it is you're upset about.

(I do admit I would like to be proven wrong when we see the entire movie but so far, his performance is appalling).
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
thepepin wrote:
It is because you dislike Chris Pratt. Why?
Because he attends an evangelical church.

Check out the victim complex on this guy.

My dude, not everything is a "woke" conspiracy. Even if Chris Pratt was Joe Biden's gay husband and personally responsible for the global implementation of fully automated luxury transgender communism, he would still be an absolute garbage pick for the role. As I and others have pointed out, the fact that he's barely spoken in two consecutive trailers proves that even the studio is aware of how bad this casting was.

Calm down, no one is out to get you.

Somer-_- wrote:
Give us the Wario bros. already. We know you're holding out.

The fact that Luigi specifically says that he doesn't know every mustached guy with a letter on his hat seems like a perfect setup for Wario to show up. Though I bet they save him and Waluigi for the sequel.

BH0 wrote:
Of course Peach seems like a girlboss now, lol.

She strikes me more as the generic female lead that you see in most action movies these days. She's the "serious" member of the cast, provides all the exposition at the start, shows off her competence at some point but still gets kidnapped near the climax (it's Peach, of course she'll get kidnapped) so the hero can save her and get a kiss at the end.

Silver Kirin wrote:
- Toad: Tomokazu Sugita (Domon Kasshu,

TAKE THIS! MY LOVE, MY ANGER, AND MY PRINCESS IN ANOTHER CASTLE!
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

- Toad: Tomokazu Sugita (Domon Kasshu, Toji Suzuhara, Touya Kinomoto, Whisper, Enrico Pucci)

I think you mean Tomokazu Seki as those are his roles.

Sugita is known for roles like Sakata Gintoki, Young Joseph Joestar, Escanor and Yuusuke from Persona 5. It's okay if you confuse two as it helps to fuel their decades long feud to prove who is the best Tomokazu.

As for the trailer, I think it looks neat. I'm not the biggest fan on DK's redesign but baring that I think this movie looks visually splendid and you can tell that the cast is having a good time performing.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Unironically looks pretty good. And from what it looks like, Peach isn't just gonna be restricted to just a damsel in distress, which makes for a nice change of pace from the mainline games.

You mean aside from games like Super Mario 3D World and Super Princess Peach where she wasn’t the damsel in distress?

Yeah, they said mainline, dude. Those are both side games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
CrimeVsCrime wrote:
Peach is the obviously worse one due to the whole girlboss thing everyone predicted and she sounds and acts completely antithetical to how she does in the games.

Peach’s personality in the main games is a shallow as a wading pool. Granted you can make that argument of pretty much every character in the main line games given how dialog light they are. But the fact they’re adding to her character is a positive not a negative.

CrimeVsCrime wrote:
That shot of Donkey Kong at the end looks dopey. No idea if he actually talks in the film or just grunts but if he starts just being Seth Rogan drug jokes then I'm out lol.

Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy.

flamemasterelan wrote:

Yeah, they said mainline, dude. Those are both side games.

Super Mario 3D world is a mainline game. That aside and to reiterate my point Peach being written to do more than get kidnapped and not just cry out for Mario is not a new concept.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese trailer sounds pretty nice. Hearing Mamoru Miyano say "Let's a go" is cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNKsMEQQqk

Japanese Peach sounds a bit more reserved which I prefer. Not a fan of her English voice which sounds very unfitting and nothing like the games. Bowser, Toad and Luigi sounded better too, in my opinion. I think I'll watch it in Japanese if I'm being honest.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Super Mario 3D world is a mainline game.

No, it isn't. It's part of the Super Mario 3D series, the sequel to Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS, and a successor to the New Super Mario Bros series.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I’m not sure why people are acting like “girl boss Peach” is some new thing for this movie when it was basically her personality in the DiC Mario cartoons which this movie is clearly basing it’s lore after. Peach has also had expanded roles in the games dating back to Super Mario Bros 2 and Mario RPG. Girl boss Peach is also pretty much her role in the Mario Party and sports games and Mario Kart.

Don't forget the Super Mario Adventures comic from 1992.

flamemasterelan wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Super Mario 3D world is a mainline game.

No, it isn't. It's part of the Super Mario 3D series, the sequel to Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS, and a successor to the New Super Mario Bros series.

These are all generally considered "mainline" Super Mario.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I don't recall Peach being a girlboss in any of those things you mentioned. From what I remember she was just the voice of reason in the old DiC cartoon to preach the aesops like good eating habits. In Mario RPG she was still a very feminine character and her playstyle was about hugging and kissing party members to heal them. The one game she got to herself used her emotions like crying and anger as her power. In the most recent sports games she basically just acts like 'oh phoey!' when she loses or something.

Girlboss isn't just a female character in a main role, it's the kind of 'I'm not like OTHER girls' archetype that a lot of American media does. The scene of her being a badass in a suit walking out, kicking up a spear, and grabbing it and marching into battle. The sassy, sarcastic "no pressure" after hyping up Mario's journey. She's basically nothing like she is in the RPG games or other titles the characters have speaking roles. In the recent Rabbid games she fights but she's still very much a Princess. She floats around on her parasol, acts dainty, and stays in character despite blasting things with a gun. But the movie seems to be going in the direction of "REAL women don't wear dresses" and puts her in her racing suit, and rather than using her parasol as a weapon she's using a spear, because parasols are girly. I wonder how long she'll stay in her dress in the movie before going into girlboss outfit mode. Reminds me a lot of what Pixar did in Toy Story 4 with Bo Peep where they got rid of her dress for a jump suit, made her staff a weapon, and changed her a lot.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:27 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

I don't recall Peach being a girlboss in any of those things you mentioned. From what I remember she was just the voice of reason in the old DiC cartoon to preach the aesops like good eating habits. In Mario RPG she was still a very feminine character and her playstyle was about hugging and kissing party members to heal them. The one game she got to herself used her emotions like crying and anger as her power. In the most recent sports games she basically just acts like 'oh phoey!' when she loses or something.
There was an episode in the Super Show where she gets a power star and becomes invincible and rescues the Mario Bros and Toad. It was always one of my favorite episode as a kid. She was also always active in the plots instead of just being held up in some castle somewhere and she always had a sassy personality in those cartoons. She was also more active in the plot in the live action 90s movie. Peach's healing powers are basically any white mage trope in an RPG and she also had the bomb attacks. Yes she was feminine in the Mario RPG but she was an active part of the plot and had her own agency and was always useful to have around in battles.

Quote:
Girlboss isn't just a female character in a main role, it's the kind of 'I'm not like OTHER girls' archetype that a lot of American media does. The scene of her being a badass in a suit walking out, kicking up a spear, and grabbing it and marching into battle. The sassy, sarcastic "no pressure" after hyping up Mario's journey.
Girl boss is actually referring to a kind of feminism around the work place. There's legitimate criticism of girl boss feminism but it doesn't mean any competent and confident female character in fiction otherwise that would include a lot of female characters. But this is like how people took the term Mary Sue which is about a specific self-insert fanfic trope and turned it to mean any strong female character who is perceived to be "perfect." Maybe another 20 years from now we'll retire the term girl boss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4