• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: NieR:Automata Ver 1.1a

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
They sure want to combine the first two routes especially since we already saw probably one of the darkest things to corrupt 9S. The robot basically tried to sexually assualt him during the hacking.

9S is no human but it obviously affected him
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:47 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
OncelostLu wrote:
meiam wrote:
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
Never played the game. Is it true that I can watch this and still find it enjoyable?

The game part of the game was by far the weakest aspect of the game, so it really just comes down to how good the anime soundtrack will be.

While I don't necessarily disagree with this, the wording makes it sound like the gameplay isn't up to snuff. Which, it's actually pretty good. It's just the soundtrack and story are so outstanding, that pretty good gameplay isn't the same as outstanding gameplay.

The gameplay isn't up to snuff. At best it can be called functional, just about any action game blow it out of the water. It's water downed platinum gameplay, so unless you've played every platinum game and DMC (and ninja gaiden and...) there's pretty much no reason to play automata if the anime turns out to be decent.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong Wink
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
Having never played the games, I am still loving this show. Part of it reminds me of episodic shows of years past. Also there is just enough lore to keep me hooked. I am really enjoying the show. Curious to see where this goes!
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer is right to note differences regarding the characters in ep4 compared to the game.

In My opinion, at this point of the game. 9S is acting more like 2B, and 2B is acting more like 9S at times. 2B is usually the more ruthless one with no compassion or hesitation towards the machines. And likewise, 9S is the more inquisitive about the world and asking questions, but 2B seems to be the one doubting the narrative and seems to be asking about things she ought to already know. My memory could be fuzzy though... But I wouldn't be surprised if we're all getting Yoko Taro'd and the Nier anime is essentially going to be a new route with all this emphasis on the alternate endings.

I am loving the depiction of new content making the game's ideas and themes more visually presentable. Episode 4 was good stuff. There will of course be some things lost from not playing the game that are dine well using gameplay mechanics and presentation, but the Anime is taking the right approach and I like that this isn't a lazy adaptation.

But structurally, it feels rushed and viewers so far haven't really had a chance to settle into this world and the scope of things, such as emphasizing that this is a large city with a variety of spaces that must be travelled to. We are missing out on how cool many locations like the amusement park, desert etc. are. So a lot of visual world building is skipped that shows the scope of Nier's world. I like the rule of avoiding over-exposition, but I feel like so far the Anime needs a bit more. The beautiful environments need their moments to shine, so a page needs to be borrowed from the way Ghibli and Mamoru Oshii do things with some moody scenery montages to relax in while digesting some heavy themes.

meiam wrote:
The gameplay isn't up to snuff. At best it can be called functional, just about any action game blow it out of the water. It's water downed platinum gameplay, so unless you've played every platinum game and DMC (and ninja gaiden and...) there's pretty much no reason to play automata if the anime turns out to be decent.

Functional? Yes. In that I feel it lacks the richness of gameplay variety of action games like Metal Gear Solid or The last of us.

But in terms of like to like comparisons to hack'n'slash, I think it's easily accessible to those of us that aren't so hot on the genre. I only like the original God of War games from that genre.

I personally don't like Platinum's games, which just seem to be overly hard and git gud, and mechanically boring with no priority on story, but their cutscene presentations and choreography are top notch, no doubt! Only struggled through Devil May Cry. Gave up halfway through DMC3. Gave up 1 hour into Metal Gear Rising. Never touched their output since. And their logo showing up only suggests to me, " This isn't for you."

The Nier Automata Demo sold me the game because of the option to turn on the Autochips if I got bored or struggled, and i was intrigued by the music and presentation to buy the game and that and the story was so good I didn't mind skipping most of the game when I got bored of combos/button mashing/grinding. I'm glad the Nier Replicant remake did likewise.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I swear to God, if Zero and Mikhail from Drakengard 3 somehow show up, I'm throwing a rock straight through my TV.
Well, while I am not sure Yoko can stretch the additional scenes to THAT length - but if anime make a possibility for one certain space-time observer android that supplies the Resistance with weapons (which is a canon of the Automata storyline!) suddenly appear on the screen somehow... yeah, I probably throw something to the screen too while screaming his name.

But yeah, I agree with the Automata adaptation doing its honest job - it maybe ain't perfect, but it really tries to represent the general philosophy themes of the game while understanding it has a very finite time compared to the original source, which digging through it many hours of side activities and dialogues.

Quote:
At least the show managed to integrate Emil's presence into Pascal's backstory; that was a fun little twist.
Speaking of which, it can be even more twisty considering Pascal meeting "Emil" flashback has similarities with another piece of media that was brought by Yoko with the anime release - the story that came out in MV of the anime ED, "Antinomy". Of course, this may be a coincidence - but knowing how troll he can be with side materials (and we already got a bunch of that even with anime), that really sounds like he again played the fans like a fiddle.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am Reply with quote
These episodes are making me realize that the Mega Man X games were really messed up with all the battles X has to endure for over nine games. Rated E though.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
meiam wrote:

Functional? Yes. In that I feel it lacks the richness of gameplay variety of action games like Metal Gear Solid or The last of us.

But in terms of like to like comparisons to hack'n'slash, I think it's easily accessible to those of us that aren't so hot on the genre. I only like the original God of War games from that genre.

I personally don't like Platinum's games, which just seem to be overly hard and git gud, and mechanically boring with no priority on story, but their cutscene presentations and choreography are top notch, no doubt! Only struggled through Devil May Cry. Gave up halfway through DMC3. Gave up 1 hour into Metal Gear Rising. Never touched their output since. And their logo showing up only suggests to me, " This isn't for you."

The Nier Automata Demo sold me the game because of the option to turn on the Autochips if I got bored or struggled, and i was intrigued by the music and presentation to buy the game and that and the story was so good I didn't mind skipping most of the game when I got bored of combos/button mashing/grinding. I'm glad the Nier Replicant remake did likewise.

If someone isn't hot on the genre, that's all the more reason to skip the game and just watch the anime now that it exist, no?

Bottom line, the reason to play the game are character, story and soundtrack. All of these elements are present in the anime (assuming they do a proper adaptation), with the added bonus that the anime has no gameplay.

The problem with the game gameplay isn't that it's bad, its that its unremarkable. It has no element that makes it even potentially interesting. Even a bad video game can have have entertainment value in its badness, or can be interesting as a way to try and figure out what went wrong or why it doesn't work (see last remnant which is a fascinating game in its badness). But automata was just... bland and tasteless. The inclusion of a "let the game play itself" mode would have been perfect in a game that tried to be ambitious in its gameplay, with the likely outcome that the gameplay doesn't work and end up bad. But having that option is such a lukewarm gameplay is just an admission of defeat, and at that point just remove the gameplay and make a walking simulator.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 is another great one! Love the teases to Replicant. The characters are back to being their original selves with 9S' optimistic curiosity, and 2B's blunt stoicism. I do love the changes to how they are handling a bunch of material. Now this is how you do an adaptation folks! Get creative. Change things while retaining their essence! Lots of nods to things you do in the game. Not much action, but there is conflict internal and external and introducing more subject matter of interest.

I still think the world and environments feel too claustrophobic. The village in the game gives a better impression of open space, and there are plenty of beautiful and interesting open spaces that aren't given their due, alongside encounters with other Yorha units doing their thing alongside wildlife. So this is one area that the adaptation fails to capture. Exploration and traversal were big parts of the game and that kind of journey is missing here, though it was probably sacrificed due to runtime and how much they need to cover story-wise, so it is an understandable thing to cut if you're stressed for time, but the Anime would also have been richer for it.

meiam wrote:
If someone isn't hot on the genre, that's all the more reason to skip the game and just watch the anime now that it exist, no?

Bottom line, the reason to play the game are character, story and soundtrack. All of these elements are present in the anime (assuming they do a proper adaptation), with the added bonus that the anime has no gameplay.

The problem with the game gameplay isn't that it's bad, its that its unremarkable. It has no element that makes it even potentially interesting. Even a bad video game can have have entertainment value in its badness, or can be interesting as a way to try and figure out what went wrong or why it doesn't work (see last remnant which is a fascinating game in its badness). But automata was just... bland and tasteless. The inclusion of a "let the game play itself" mode would have been perfect in a game that tried to be ambitious in its gameplay, with the likely outcome that the gameplay doesn't work and end up bad. But having that option is such a lukewarm gameplay is just an admission of defeat, and at that point just remove the gameplay and make a walking simulator.

Well, no, because the gameplay at least services what action games offer - The illusion of a power fantasy, that puts you in the action with 2B and 9S and A2. Given that there is a lot of action and warfare, a walking sim would not deliver the same excitement or heft. This better connects and engages us to the world than just watching cutscenes or the Anime.

Frankly, the ability to godmode at will, is also a timesaver for those of us that don't have the time to grind. Admittedly, this is a balance issue in the game, but that is also subjective, however I would also deduct points from Nier for making me feel like I'm wasting time. Grinding for the weapons stories was the worst thing, adding an additional barrier to upgrading that only pushes one to rely in the Autochips more.

If one wants to say Automata's gameplay is mediocre compared to the genre, then you'll find no disagreement from me. It's just that for many people, that is comfortable enough to be enjoyable without the frustration of the difficulty that is inherent in the more celebrated examples of the genre that hardcore players love.

But the game and its story is better off by having this gameplay than by not having it. The journey was still thoroughly enjoyable. Plus there are clever emotional moments best conveyed through its gameplay and presentation that wouldn't be there otherwise, and something the Anime can never adequately capture.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:29 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Quote:
Also, that final scene where 9S brutally murders the last surviving Robots that were attending the play feels very much like something the 9S of the game's finale would have pulled; the brazenness of it feels a bit out of character for the guy at such an early stage of the story. It could be a brief lapse in consistency…or maybe it's a bit of foreshadowing for even bigger changes to come?
Yeah, that kinda made me confused too that 9S already going killing spree for machines which clearly shows no aggression that early in the plot... especially when the next episode is supposed to be a meeting with even more peaceful machines. spoiler[Also considering how much presence Jean-Paul had during the Simone fight - now I wonder if anime include him along the way to expand that even further.]

Granted, it's been a long time since I played the game (once, at launch) but I recall spoiler[9S saying something violent and psychotic on the roller coaster before the amusement park boss fight. Even if he hadn't been seen engaging in that kind of murder, he was clearly pushing for it by that point.]
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:07 am Reply with quote
Do we know the artist who did the illustrations at the end of the puppet show in episode 5?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:
Do we know the artist who did the illustrations at the end of the puppet show in episode 5?
It's toi8.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
The last few episodes have simply been fascinating. The World building in this show is amazing.
Few questions:
1) any idea when Aniplex with dub this?
2) is the show doing well enough to warrant more episodes? It’s going to be 12?
3) where is the show going?
zekro94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:17 am Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
The last few episodes have simply been fascinating. The World building in this show is amazing.
Few questions:
1) any idea when Aniplex with dub this?
2) is the show doing well enough to warrant more episodes? It’s going to be 12?
3) where is the show going?

Regarding question 3: we don't know, it might go the same route of the game or deviate in many ways. I guess that is why they named it with the 1.1 numbering, since it's not a carbon copy of what happens in the game. Like right now in the game Lily is dead and Anemone is the leader of the resistance camp. They also have different personalities since in the game Anemone welcomes you in the camp without a fuss if I remember right. It's kinda thrilling not beeing a 1:1 copy of the game since even old fans can be shocked by new twists and developments
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Since the game has one ending for every letter of the alphabet, and the show has been ending each episode with a spoiler-free version of each ending, I think it’s fair to guess there will be 26 episodes.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
Another episode with robot gore. It kinda comes across as shocking though considering two decapitated robots looked just like humans
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5