• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Genshin Impact to Recast Tighnari Following Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against English

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uchay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Seeing people in the FB comments asking to be compensated with...

...gems?

Such a strange world, man.

People find reasons to ask for gems for anything so they can pull one more Debate Club Laughing

Anyhow, good riddance.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Big Kahuna wrote:
Whatever happened to due process? Has due process and the concept of innocence until proven guilty completely left the house and took a trip oversea? How would you feel if you get fired, even if it's because of bad publicity, but turns out you're are innocent, how is that lawful or just? May be due process is going to way of the do-do just like this fake democracy we practice in America.

Buddy, the guy himself ADMITTED it was true. Even if his statement he didn't know they were underage was true, he was still being a massive creep to people and then repeatedly suicide baiting people heaps of times. That alone is enough for him to get fired from his job.

He's not innocent. He himself has said he is guilty. No one needs you trying to defend him here.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Big Kahuna wrote:
Whatever happened to due process? Has due process and the concept of innocence until proven guilty completely left the house and took a trip oversea? How would you feel if you get fired, even if it's because of bad publicity, but turns out you're are innocent, how is that lawful or just? May be due process is going to way of the do-do just like this fake democracy we practice in America.

Dude literally tried to apologize for it all lmao. Youre probably a Andrew Tate Supporter, yuck
Mune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Big Kahuna wrote:

Uh...don't look at many other professions in the U.S., whereby if an accusation occurs, even if later proven false or the accusation is rescinded, the accused is still let go from their profession, especially if they have any potential contact with minors. They may not be able to work in that field ever again because of this. An example: a teacher.

The reasoning is that there have been instances of minors reporting abuse or other illegal actions, but not being believed. Later, there were more victims to such actions. Add in the calls for possible retaliation from family, friends, and/or community members to rescind an accusation, and it becomes a mess. If a person is found innocent, then years later accused again for a similar action, rumors start flying about the first accusation being true, but covered up. Rather than potentially looking bad down the road, they play it safe by condemning the action and distancing themselves from the accused.

I'm way off topic. I'm wondering who they will get to replace him. Any ideas?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

... the guy allegedly sent dick pics to minors. One of the alleged victims was 12.

2023 and you got idiots acting like Anthony Weiner/Brett Favre
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Big Kahuna wrote:

You mention due process and American democracy, but forgot to mention the Nazis and invoke Godwin's Law.

But I guess 2 out of 3 straw men ain't bad.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
How does the threatening self-harm thing work, actually? if I was abused by someone I think the person doing it killing themselves would be a great thing. Good riddance to trash, yes? Wanting your abuser to suffer seems like a natural thing for a victim. Whether it's imprisonment or death it's justice to a heinous crime.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:22 am Reply with quote
i got the shivers! wrote:
How does the threatening self-harm thing work, actually? if I was abused by someone I think the person doing it killing themselves would be a great thing. Good riddance to trash, yes? Wanting your abuser to suffer seems like a natural thing for a victim. Whether it's imprisonment or death it's justice to a heinous crime.

Unfortunately, guilt is a powerful tool. Even if you've done nothing wrong, a twisted person is more than capable of nurturing toxic emotions in your life that will build up and control you. At first, you don't realize what's going on. Otherwise, you'd hopefully cut ties immediately. The abuser will be on their best behavior, slowly earning your trust until they've secured a spot in your life that you feel is irreplaceable. You'll blame yourself for the things the abuser does. "He doesn't WANT to hurt me. I made him do that. After all, I looked at him the wrong way. I should have known better." Even if you think about escaping, a voice in the back of your head might play out the worst case scenarios. "What if he catches me?" If they've indoctrinated you long enough, you might hesitate... worry about the abuser... downplay your trauma. It's really, really sad.

So, long story short, from the perspective of a person on the outside looking in, it can be hard to relate. For the victim, threats work. Reading up on Stockholm syndrome might be a good place to start if you're interested in reading up on this sort of thing.
onpufan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:43 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Seeing people in the FB comments asking to be compensated with...

...gems?

Such a strange world, man.

People are just looking for any excuse to get free primos. They probably don't care at all about the issue.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:20 am Reply with quote
i got the shivers! wrote:

It's threatening them with guilt. "If I kill myself it'll be your fault and you'll essentially be a murderer because YOUR actions made me do this and you'll be the reason I die I hope you enjoy living your life knowing YOU killed me".
These people trusted him and thought they were close to him and a number of them shared their own self harm stories so it's basically hitting their weak points and guilt tripping them.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:48 am Reply with quote
I dunno if it was him or not, but he sounds like he's in the recent trailer. However, as they just announced this, they probably at the time hadn't recast yet, so can't really blame the company. It was probably done before this all started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2