• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Rise and Evolution of Old Classic Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
What dub haters don't (or won't) understand is that these are shows for children, and that despite overlap, Japanese children and American children are different groups. I think the shows that stood the test of time (Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Digimon) were ones whose adaptors understood what would appeal to American kids and just flavored what was left to taste.

Digimon's nonsense in particular being restricted to mostly doodling in the margins made watching it a fuller experience because without the humor it's a heavier, more dramatic show with blander characters, and that's likely not going to be for everyone.

Well if you feel free to paint "dub haters" with such a brush then I must certainly respond in kind.

-Art is never for everyone, it evokes different responses in everyone. Some like it, some hate it. You cant modify art just to make it appeal to a nebulous "everyone"

-What is okay to do, is soften up some aspects of it so its okay to broadcast. This is okay but it is NOT improving the show. 4kids thought they did and look what happened to them. And Saban too! Saban doesnt exist anymore because every single property of theirs flopped, including Digimon and Pretty Cure.

-I think what makes the Digimon English dub endure is that it knew when to be true to the Japanese version while also keeping it for kids. NOT any of the added jokes.

-Davis and Yolei's characters in particular are DESTROYED in the English dub. They are impossible to like and this had made people hate them unfairly. Heck I used to wonder why people loathed the entire season so much and it is because of the dub.

-It's hilarious that you say people who criticize the dub are "Dub haters" since Discotek would NOT release a new uncut dub if people didn't want a more faithful version.

-I am not a dub hater, I grew up with the Latin American dub. And that was the Latin American Version that's pretty much the Japanese version but in Lat AM Spanish.

-The only dubs with added jokes I like are Samurai Pizza Cats and Super Pig.

Second, I feel extremely sad at seeing Nick and Chris make fun of the Canadian Pretty Cure dub. Its a very well made dub. I think its the best kids aimed dub ever made. All the allure of the Japanese version with some Saturday Morning feel dub dialogue that feels genuinely funny and not awful and condescending. And no they dont "Improve the show" but are extremely careful not to ruin it either. You might make fun of "Natalie Blackstone and Hanna Whitehouse" but Nagisa Misumi and Honoka Yukishiro are JUST as punny to Japanese kids which is something that apparently was lost on people.

In fact I will say what Mike O Toole said. And I am not even kidding when I say it

"I want Hannah Goddamn Whitestone and Natalie Bloody Blackstone on Blu-Ray, dagnabbit!"

Make it happen Discotek! And bring back Rocio Barahona and Michelle Molineux for the Max Heart Movies while you are at it!
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I really appreciated this back and forth, not shying away from the fact that Digimon did add its own jokes for better or worse but acknowledging that it ultimately remained true to the heart of the story being told. As someone who loves both the English and Japanese versions, it was refreshing to hear amidst a fandom that has felt very divided between English dub lovers and purists for a long time now.

Los Nido wrote:
I always felt the English cast for these shows were horribly matched and don't work as a straight dub. (...) It's hard for me to picture the English voice of Taichi being serious and not cracking jokes every few seconds.

Joshua Seth (Tai) - as well as a lot of the original Digimon cast - did quite a bit of work on "straight" dubs. For examples you could look at his work as Tetsuo in the 2001 dub of "Akira" or Hige from "Wolf's Rain" (or even just the Tri/Kizuna movies as he's in those and the scripts are more faithful to the original Japanese script). Michael Reisz (Matt) was Rock in "Metropolis", and if you look into "Wolf's Rain" listen for Mona Marshall (Izzy) as Toboe. If you can't get excited about the redub due to being unable to picture the original cast with a more serious script, I would recommend looking into their other work. Maybe they'll pleasantly surprise you.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Awesome post about how Discotek should also dub in Canada

Yes! Yes! YES!

Please dub the Max Heart Movies! The Pretty Cure fandom will love you FOREVER DISCOTEK!!!
Southkaio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Here in Latin America almost all of the actors from the cartoon reprised their roles in the PPGZ anime, with the only exception being Rossy Aguirre as Buttercup, but that was due to differences between her and the recording studio, as she has voiced anime characters like Akane Tendo and Ami Mizuno. In fact, It's quite common in LatAm for dub actors to work in cartoons and anime, for example, Blossom's VA is known for vocing Sakura Kinomoto, Kari Kamiya and Gatomon, while Bubble's VA voiced Erza Scarlet and Nobita, she also performed the third opening for Inuyasha.

The Latin American Spanish dub of PPGZ also recasts HIM and Fuzzy Lumpkins, to name a few.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Los Nido wrote:
Speaking of which, while re-dubs like this are probably interesting for those who grew up with the dubs and want that ping of nostalgia, I'm a bit confused who these dubs are for, exactly. People who want the original story will be watching them subbed, but fans of the dub will probably find them 'boring' if the script is written faithfully and there's no jokes or edits or changes.

The Digimon fandom collectively lost it's mind over the dub announcement to the point where there was more buzz about it than the full trailer for the new 02 The Beginning movie the same day. Plus it's going to use the same style of subbing they've used since Tri - completely uncut and a faithful but looser script, which people have been fine with. Discotek probably knows their audience better than any other licensing anime company if we're being honest.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
That was quite a long transcribed correspondence.

I won't be selling my firstborn, or even secondborn, but I would pay a lot for officially and properly (with care) subbed release of the original Pokemon series (the seasons Takeshi Shudo oversaw). Watching hardsubbed 640x480 files is just not optimal (especially when the subber's personal choices get too personal). I know the first episode was remastered and released in Japan with one of the movies, and I know it is possible to remaster all of them. And before anyone mentions THE porygon, that episode can be included as an extra, with a warning. OR, with a simple masking tool, the seizure effect can be swapped for something better.

Ideally, there would be a partial redub, to fix the censored/weak parts (the 4Kids dub was actually mostly great), but I know that is not happening since season 1 was already released in the west anyway.

P.S. Ironic that the removed porygon episode indirectly lead to Mewtwo Strikes Back being as good as it was.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
The Digimon fandom collectively lost it's mind over the dub announcement to the point where there was more buzz about it than the full trailer for the new 02 The Beginning movie the same day. Plus it's going to use the same style of subbing they've used since Tri - completely uncut and a faithful but looser script, which people have been fine with. Discotek probably knows their audience better than any other licensing anime company if we're being honest.

I think you meant DUBBING here but otherwise I agree. There are people who wanted better dubs for years and people use narratives to erase them.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:20 pm Reply with quote
You don't see dubs like the original Digimon's anymore because anime largely isn't marketed towards kids in the anglosphere and hasn't been for a long time. I mean, just look at the recent Digimon shows. They either don't get dubbed, or get a lowkey streaming release targeted at adults. There are a few reasons for that. From the teen/adult market opening up, to struggles with distribution partners, to Japan just prioritizing late-night anime production to the detriment of everything else. What is still promoted to kids are cross-generational merchandise-driven IPs: Bakugan, Beyblade, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh. The youngest of those is over 15 years old now. Half still hold onto the localization methods of old (replacement scores, edits, renames), while the other half are either co-productions or designed for global audiences.

You still see the old mindset pop up now and then when new brands are attempted. This article already focuses heavily on Pretty Cure, but LBX was undoubtedly the most extensively edited show of the '10s. Yo-Kai Watch and Zoids Wild had their alterations in both content and character names, though they weren't as dramatically altered as they might've been in the past.

redvelvetdoll wrote:
Just want to set the record straight that the original Japanese version of Ghost Stories is 100% on Crunchyroll (in the US). It's been there since Crunchyroll added the entire series in 2016. You just have to click on an episode and change it to Audio: Japanese (original) and turn on the subtitles. Discotek's bluray has both as well.

There are a couple of other minor things. The original Macross has received multiple uncut releases in the US and even has its own dub separate from Robotech. Additionally, all of Medabots was dubbed into English. Yes, it's edited, but I don't know why anyone would want a re-dub of the second series over the first. That one's not good in any language. The theme song and some character designs are the only really amusing bits.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
You still see the old mindset pop up now and then when new brands are attempted. This article already focuses heavily on Pretty Cure, but LBX was undoubtedly the most extensively edited show of the '10s. Yo-Kai Watch and Zoids Wild had their alterations in both content and character names, though they weren't as dramatically altered as they might've been in the past.

What they did with Danball Senki pisses me off to this day because it basically prevented us getting W (either the anime or the game) and considering the cuts the first season got, they wouldn't have even touched Wars given the entire premise is a full scale proxy war between real countries using the war game premise as a way to keep the kids in the dark. At the very least, Bandai should've continued with the kits but that didn't even happen.

I would've bought all of the Wars kits without a second thought, doubly so if meant we got a Dot Blastrizer G-EXT that's actually affordable rather than verging on the cost of an MG Gunpla.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

There are a couple of other minor things. The original Macross has received multiple uncut releases in the US and even has its own dub separate from Robotech. Additionally, all of Medabots was dubbed into English. Yes, it's edited, but I don't know why anyone would want a re-dub of the second series over the first. That one's not good in any language. The theme song and some character designs are the only really amusing bits.

Yeah I was wondering why that poster only wanted the second series dubbed and not the first. Maybe they liked the dub of the first season?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't really understand why the Ghost Stories dub was getting dragged in here, given how different its situation was than most of the other shows that were discussed. I mean, the original series was essentially Japanese Scooby-Doo, a low-budget "spooky" show aimed at elementary school kids. It's not the sort of thing that had any sort of widespread appeal among anime fans then or now, and almost no one would have known or cared about its existence if not for ADV's dub of it. I've heard mixed reports of how it even fell into ADV's lap in the first place, whether it was a package deal with a show they actually wanted or something that the Japanese producers sought to release, but what's clear is that said producers didn't care what ADV did with it so long as they got paid, and a whole bunch of people thought the results were hilarious. I can't see how there's any sort of market for a faithful redub of a mediocre-looking 20+-year-old kids' show.

Escaflowne is another case where a redub never made any sense to me. The "director's cut" version of the series consists of less than 10 total minutes' worth of largely-inconsequential new scenes scattered across the first several episodes. Funi could have easily included those scenes as a separate bonus feature, or even better, gone to Ocean Studios to get as many original cast members as possible to dub those scenes, which would have presumably been fairly cheap to do. Instead, they chose to redub the entire series from scratch for the sake of those 10 minutes in what felt like a vanity project (especially given some of the casting...McRapey as Folken, really?), and in a truly bizarre move proceeded to do the whole thing as a Kickstarter project. I have no idea what they were going for, but I do know that I have no interest in listening to their attempt when the original dub (in its uncut form) was just fine.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I wish the series itself had gotten redubbed instead, but I guess this is the next best thing? Though as a fan who's only seen Digimon subbed, I'm more interested in these movies getting their first ever sub release than I am a dub that's trying to balance between faithful and Saban-esque.

FireChick wrote:
Now if only somebody would do the same for stuff like Tokyo Mew Mew, Ojamajo Doremi, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Pretty Cure.

I remember the Clear Card dub team stated a series redub was possible if Clear Card sold well, but I take it either the show underperformed, or Netflix got in the way. (Speaking of, still SHOCKED they didn't redub it) As for the rest, even a sub-only home video release would be a dream come true. But it would be cool to see the Canadian Pretty Cure preserved. It's easily the best localized kids dub I've ever seen, and it makes me sad how rarely it's brought up in kids anime dub discussions.

lemurs wrote:
Not only are the classic dub versions of shows released first, but they must outsell the sub-only versions by a decent margin because Discotek has encouraged fans of the shows to pick up those versions if they want them to keep coming.

Yeah, Discotek mentioned previous sub-only releases of kids anime underperformed. But that seems to be changing? I've noticed the sub releases of Shaman King, Sonic X, and Digimon Adventure are listed as a Best Seller on sites like Rightstuf, so it seems they're selling better than they used to.

Joe Mello wrote:
Digimon's nonsense in particular being restricted to mostly doodling in the margins made watching it a fuller experience because without the humor it's a heavier, more dramatic show with blander characters, and that's likely not going to be for everyone.

Blander characters? I'd actually say that's more true of the dub. Edited dubs tend to simplify characters into one-note archetypes, while there's usually more nuance and character development present in the Japanese versions.

Southkaio wrote:
There is still an opportunity for Discotek Media to co-operate with Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary, Toronto and Montreal dubbing studios. It would be great if Discotek Media outsources their dubs to Canada and/or does the cross-regional dubs featuring Los Angeles and Vancouver voice talent like ''Yashahime''. At this moment, I am wondering. Even after the success of the Viz Media's dub of ''Sailor Moon'', why Discotek Media didn't redub ''Saint Tail'' in its entirety or at least dubbed the last 28 episodes?

Because Discotek is a small company with a limited budget. They've never dubbed a title longer than one cour, and most of what they have dubbed have been specials or movies. I imagine that's likely why Sound Cadence is their go-to studio as well. It's probably more affordable than other studios.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:30 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
What they did with Danball Senki pisses me off to this day because it basically prevented us getting W (either the anime or the game) and considering the cuts the first season got, they wouldn't have even touched Wars given the entire premise is a full scale proxy war between real countries using the war game premise as a way to keep the kids in the dark. At the very least, Bandai should've continued with the kits but that didn't even happen.

Dentsu actually tried dubbing W. The first 26 episodes (compiled from 41 episodes of the Japanese version) actually aired on Nicktoons, just without any on-screen distinction. It ends in an unresolved tease.

Alongside Doraemon, that show's dub is probably one of the only 2010s American productions to just get memory-holed. It solely aired on television in the US and streamed on Nicktoons' site. No home video release, either physical or digital anywhere. Even things like Scan2Go and the B-Daman reboot series were either streamed officially on YouTube or got an iTunes release. Who knows if that will ever change since it clearly wasn't a success. There are uncut dubs of the original LBX shows produced in Hong Kong for Animax, so I guess that's an avenue if anyone wants to release them.

It's possible Dentsu produced a less hacked-up dub. Blue Water's Alberta casting site has the show listed under two separate entries. One has 26 episodes. The other is listed as 78. There's no guarantee that wasn't just a typo (Zeta Gundam's also listed twice), but the 78-episode entry dates back to 2012. The dub debuted on Nicktoons two years later and the two hackjob seasons don't total 78 episodes. Though, I don't think that many episodes of LBX even existed in 2012.

YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
Yeah I was wondering why that poster only wanted the second series dubbed and not the first. Maybe they liked the dub of the first season?

Ikki's voice actor was replaced for the second series. Julie Lemieux is a solid actress, but it's a different voice. The thing is, Damashii just isn't a good show. His original voice actress may or may not be acting again, but it's hard to say if she'd sound the same 20+ years later - especially given she isn't regularly doing voice work.

Top Gun wrote:
I don't really understand why the Ghost Stories dub was getting dragged in here, given how different its situation was than most of the other shows that were discussed. I mean, the original series was essentially Japanese Scooby-Doo, a low-budget "spooky" show aimed at elementary school kids. It's not the sort of thing that had any sort of widespread appeal among anime fans then or now, and almost no one would have known or cared about its existence if not for ADV's dub of it.

It's an interesting contrast. Much of the edited dubs were trying to make a show as marketable to Anglosphere kids TV as possible. Ghost Stories was the inverse - taking a kids' show and trying to make it marketable to the audience buying DVDs of stuff that didn't air on TV.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
You don't see dubs like the original Digimon's anymore because anime largely isn't marketed towards kids in the anglosphere and hasn't been for a long time. I mean, just look at the recent Digimon shows. They either don't get dubbed, or get a lowkey streaming release targeted at adults.

Funny reading that, Ghost Game is perfectly child friendly, as long as the children aren't 5, and aren't pampered.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:37 am Reply with quote
No Samurai Pizza Cats? Laughing

The search for the 8th Digidestined Child was a big deal back then - even Fox Kids ads about it aired on other networks

Sailor Moon was localized all around the world (ya should see the different languages OPs). Didn't stop it from becoming a phenomenon in many countries
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10