• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Gunbuster, GaoGaiGar, Mononoke, More Anime to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
I mean yeah, there are tons of anime that aren't violent. But violence and anime have always gone hand in hand. I mean shonen battle series are the most mainstream form of anime content and punching and blood is kind of a given. Like its 2023, if anyone is seriously complaining about anime violence, it’s a little silly. Especially if its tame compared to ultra violence series like Berserk, Gantz Blood+

You seemed to be saying that “people who don’t like violent anime shouldn’t watch any anime at all,” which is not fair, considering there are plenty of anime to watch if you don’t want to see any violence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:13 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
You seemed to be saying that “people who don’t like violent anime shouldn’t watch any anime at all,” which is not fair, considering there are plenty of anime to watch if you don’t want to see any violence.

I hated when people say, "It's (insert current year), because it's not like we don't know what year you're in now.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
If people have a problem with excessive violence they should be watching Japanese cartoons. Is the anti Semitism plot relevant?

It has been many, many years since I've heard about the antisemitism in Angel Cop (and full disclosure; I only watched the first ep when it first released in the US back in the mid-90s), but I recall the big bads in the series turned out to spoiler[be a bunch of "jews" who were trying to take over Japan like they "took over the US".] Back then it was rightly seen as horribly antisemitic, which is why the anime was altered to change that aspect in the US.

Anyone who had watched this series, feel free to say if I am wrong about this; after all, it has been nearly 30 years since I encountered Angel Cop.
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
lol that just seems funny, why arent they allowed to be the villians. Here i was thinking it was going to be actual nazi villians again. But i mean, any colour or any race should be allowed to be a villian. Just like if youre gonna fight it shouldnt matter what gender hits you. True equality,
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:18 am Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
Errinundra wrote:
Anti-semitism.

And some might find the violence excessive.

If people have a problem with excessive violence they should be watching Japanese cartoons. Is the anti Semitism plot relevant?

To answer your last question, yes. spoiler[A secret Jewish organisation plans to reduce Japan to lawlessness so they can take it over and turn it into the world's nuclear waste dump for profit.] The way it's presented is vile and it's stupid. The plot could've been kept without the anti-Semitic layering.

The English dub is famous for different reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
That Little Rapscallion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
If anyone's worried I can confirm the subtitles for Angel Cop on Crunchyroll are uncensored and it's not the censored version. Can't speak about the dub but I assume it's the old dub and not a new one so it's probably the same
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:08 pm Reply with quote
So, again, did CR put a warning, in light of recent events?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2