• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Unveils English-Subtitled Trailer for Live-Action Yu Yu Hakusho Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
From the looks of things they may be seriously compressing or rushing the story with this adaptation. I'm not sure how many episodes it is going to be but I think I saw glimpses of Bui who isn't introduced until well into the Dark Tournament arc. Sakyo is also a character who was introduced early on, but arguably didn't really become important until the Dark Tournament. Although a more likely scenario is they are sort of taking characters from later story arcs and mashing them together into a new composite storyline. Sort of like what they did with the first Kenshin movie (before they knew there'd be sequels).

I guess it makes sense that they couldn't actually have a baby/toddler play Koenma. Although it kind of ruins the joke when he later assumes his older looking form as a disguise but still has a pacifier in his mouth. And like other people already mentioned, where is the humor that this series is famous for in this trailer? Live action adaptations often struggle with adapting that.

Overall, about matches my expectations so far. I'll definitely give it a watch.
Wack Sage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see any of the four beasts unless I blinked and missed it. I guess if they were to cut anything it would be that arc.

I wonder if itll be more in line with the manga where Yusuke spends a lot of early time doing detective cases
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:44 am Reply with quote
Well... I can't exactly same I'm optimistic. If nothing else I hope we at least get some cool VFX and costume design out f the show.

Though speaking of the former, it occurs to me that even with all of the money in world financing movies with similarly-styled energy effects, I don't think that kind of "ki energy" has ever been depicted very well in live action.

Wack Sage wrote:
I didn't see any of the four beasts unless I blinked and missed it. I guess if they were to cut anything it would be that arc.

I wonder if itll be more in line with the manga where Yusuke spends a lot of early time doing detective cases

Seems like a the more episodic structure of YYH's early cases would be a better fit for a television adaptation, which in and of itself is sufficient reason for me to assume Netflix will not go that route.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:42 am Reply with quote
I’ll say this much - Meiko Kaji as Genkai is pretty inspired casting.

I’m just hoping the end result of a mishmash is more Kenshin and less Knights of the Zodiac.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Level E could work in live action on an elevated sentai budget even better than it ever could as an anime but it has no name value.

A shame because the anime from 10+ years ago was a lot of fun, especially the Color Rangers arc.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:15 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Though speaking of the former, it occurs to me that even with all of the money in world financing movies with similarly-styled energy effects, I don't think that kind of "ki energy" has ever been depicted very well in live action.

I think it's simply because drawings and animation can do the kind of breaking of rules of anatomy and physics to convey effort, power, speed, impact, etc., that are simply impossible to replicate in a realistic manner no matter* because it's just going to look unnatural and unbelievable. Comics and animation are by nature abstract enough that the viewer is able to accept unrealistic depictions without any problems, but once you try to replicate it in a realistic manner with realistic bodies and objects it's just going to be glaringly, jarringly not believable... unrealistic, ironically enough.

*Unless of course you throw enough money at it that it can go fully CGI, effectively going back to animation. Very Happy But then you have to throw enough money at it that it's all seamless, which most anime adaptations don't have.

Anyway, even though Netflix's One Piece, of all the things, managed to be the first live action anime adaptation I enjoyed (except of course for smaller, realistic properties like Midnight Diner that don't require any particularly extravagant visuals or storytelling), looking at this trailer it's just... yeah... not really in the same weight class. Also, Kurama's wig is already obviously terrible. I really don't understand what's it with Japanese live action and wigs, it's not like it's difficult to do wigs well, as countless performers (or even everyday people) keep proving it even in Japan. It's like the Japanese film industry is actively avoiding hairdressers who know how to handle wigs.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:25 am Reply with quote
Looks.. maybe decent? OP's Netflix run makes me hesitant to draw any strong conclusions. Do we know if the original mangaka is involved with the series' oversight very much? It seemed like that may have been the major piece missing that made OP work, imbuing the show with the feeling of the original despite the change in medium and details.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
It looks to be doing its own thing, combining aspects from those early arcs with the DT arc. Interesting and maybe for the better it won't be a straight adaption then.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised they haven't made a Yuyu Hakusho "2011" series yet. Add back in the spirit detective arc for the "new content" hook.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:40 am Reply with quote
Assuming this gets an English dub I wonder will Netflix bring back any of the Funimtation dub cast or go with an entirely new cast? I also wonder what they'll do for Keiko since Laura Bailey is done with anime dubbing.
pip25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Most of the casts looks pretty good to me, so... what's up with Botan and her terrible blue wig? O_o
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2