• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Game Awards 2023 Reveals Nominees

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:22 am Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
I'd argue It Takes Two was more niche than Armored Core (I mean, even just based on how well-known FROMSOFT is at this point), and that didn't just get nominated, it won.

That's probably true, but at the same time The Game Awards nominees are selected by a jury of news outlets and influencers. An indie game about divorce and relationship trauma is right up their ally compared to a game about giant robots shooting things up if we're talking about critical darling pieces.. Throw in a slant towards western games over Japanese ones and it's not hard to see why some stuff gets nominated and others don't.

I imagine FNAF didn't get a nomination because critics hated it. 30% on Rotten Tomatoes. It definitely isn't a film made for critics despite having an 87% audience score. That or maybe the jury just doesn't want to promote anything associated with Scott Cawthon.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah true, that makes sense.
For the record, I was VERY okay with It Takes Two winning GOTY when it did. That game was awesome. I just didn't expect it at all.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:15 am Reply with quote
Many great games this year, but I hope Zelda TotK will win since its level/terrain design and especially gameplay are "simply" beyond.
Also, TotK should have been nominated in the best sound design category too, maybe even more than in the soundtrack one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
<('_')^

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Did Octopath Traveler 2 get nominated? I'd hate to see it lose to FE Engage.
onpufan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
<('_')^ wrote:

No, Octopath Traveler 2 was not nominated for any category.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
<('_')^ wrote:

This one kind of feels like name recognition worked against it. FF16 got nominated for best RPG when it is the least RPG-like the series has ever been, and strayed more into an action title. But Final Fantasy is the bigger title, and if the people were nominating only from among games they themselves played, then I could see it getting left out.

The categories for games are getting harder and harder to define as they mix elements of different genres that make it so they don't neatly fit into certain slots.
Then you've got conversations this year like whether RE4 should be in the running since it's a remake. Arguably, it did a lot that was different from the original, but a lot of it was still the result of having a great foundation from decades prior. Dead Space remake was also great, but didn't get anything, though maybe that is because it stuck too closely to the original? Dave the Diver being nominated for best indie also caught some flak because the developer works with Nexon, which has deep pockets, so maybe it got in because it looks like an indie title, but technically might not be one. On the flip side, Baldur's Gate 3 was self-published by Larian, which would make it an indie, but it sure doesn't look or have the budget of one, so nobody seems to be saying it should be in that category.
Kalisia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
onpufan wrote:
<('_')^ wrote:

This one kind of feels like name recognition worked against it. FF16 got nominated for best RPG when it is the least RPG-like the series has ever been, and strayed more into an action title. But Final Fantasy is the bigger title, and if the people were nominating only from among games they themselves played, then I could see it getting left out.

The categories for games are getting harder and harder to define as they mix elements of different genres that make it so they don't neatly fit into certain slots.
Then you've got conversations this year like whether RE4 should be in the running since it's a remake. Arguably, it did a lot that was different from the original, but a lot of it was still the result of having a great foundation from decades prior. Dead Space remake was also great, but didn't get anything, though maybe that is because it stuck too closely to the original? Dave the Diver being nominated for best indie also caught some flak because the developer works with Nexon, which has deep pockets, so maybe it got in because it looks like an indie title, but technically might not be one. On the flip side, Baldur's Gate 3 was self-published by Larian, which would make it an indie, but it sure doesn't look or have the budget of one, so nobody seems to be saying it should be in that category.

Great points you raise there. I don't put much stock into awards but I most certainly did vote for Baldur's Gate 3 every time it was listed in a category, lol. I just had so much fun with it - it makes me enjoy the game more even after the fact just seeing all the buzz around it. I'm sure most of those other games are still great! If anything, I hope all the buzz gets more people to try out games they may not have otherwise.

But then again, this is the internet where ones opinion can most certainly be incorrect. Wink
King Chicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:01 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
If the cut-off was at that date, there would be no eligibility for Alan Wake 2 either to compete at any award - because it got released on the very same day. Also, Spider-Man 2 was released just about a week before, so it's all late October at best.

So yeah, the FNAF movie was most likely not even considered to participate to begin with.

I suppose it depends if different categories have different cut off dates. But yes, Alan Wake 2 coming out the same day and being on multiple nominations would indicate it probably isn't a case of something being too recent to be judged. If I had to realistically guess it was probably for the same reason why Hogwarts Legacy was shut out despite being the second biggest game of the year behind TOTK. Getting on the wrong side of the critics is generally a good way to get snubbed by the award shows they judge for, especially when your panelists are outlets that openly state they were refusing to review or cover something in the first place and doing a media blackout. Some outlets did feel the need of reminding people of FNAF's creator's being a Conservative once the movie came out and trying to shame people into not seeing it or supporting it so it seems like they're still upset over the 2021 thing.
Kalisia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Hogwart's Legacy was my GOTY before Baldur's Gate 3 released. Now I have 2 GOTY's Very Happy

Evil or Very Mad "snubbed" Evil or Very Mad
RickyMeyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The Game Awards always stir up some fun debates! Both Hogwarts Legacy and Baldur's Gate 3 are top contenders. The gaming community's reactions are just as exciting as the nominations. Speaking of games making a mark, have you followed the competitive scene in CS:GO? It's a whole different world, filled with intense battles and discussions akin to those buzzing in the CS2 market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2