• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romance Anime to Make Your Heart Flutter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
For those who only have time for a movie today, I recommend "Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop." It's available on Netflix, and is a sweet and simple romcom with nice characters and a fun art style.

Ooh, nice choice! We covered it for This Week In anime a few years back, it's delightful
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I’ll have to check out Sweet Blue Flowers, thanks for the rec Rebecca!

You're welcome! The manga is really beautiful, too.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
No mention of His and Her Circumstances? One of those rare instances in romance anime where the couple gets together early in the series instead of playing up the old "will they or won't they" relationship dynamic and the series dabbles into how both view one another and their relationship.

I'd say that the scene where Arima slams Yukino into a wall disqualified it from at least a couple of people's lists.

As for everyone saying, "I'm so sad that [series] didn't make the list, how could it be forgotten?" There are a ton of series that were considered but were just barely edged out! I can only speak for myself, but Yuri on Ice was an extremely close contender; I ended up going with Doukyusei because, while I do believe that Yuri and Victor are canonically in love, the exploration of how the emotional and physical intimacy of Kusakabe and Sajo's relationship develops from meeting to getting married in the manga was really powerful. Fruits Basket, Fushigi Yugi, Lovely Complex, Yona of the Dawn, and many others were in the running for me as well, and I know from talking about the subject with other writers that it was a hard choice for them too.[/b]
Nakamapower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:11 pm Reply with quote
MrJeremyT wrote:
The lack of "The Dangers In My Heart" is sad Sad

Honestly a shame that its not even mentioned at all

I expected Kaguya sama and Takagi san, but to not even mention the top airing anime right now is a bit disappointing
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Where's Happy Sugar Life and Eromanga Sensei? Laughing

In the trash, where they belong.

spoiler[With me.]

The diversity here is great, but I also find it fascinating that you can largely separate the suggestions between [asumed based on names] guys and gals making the suggestions. The guys lean more toward the otaku-esc romances and the gals lean more toward the more fluttery shoujo stuff. As someone who has seen the vast majority of these series (I'm a hopeless romantic... *sigh*), they're all great suggestions, but they definitely have different focuses on their romances. Personally, I still lean more toward the romances in shoujo series, but find the characters in otaku-targeted romances super cute. Lol

I'm not sure what I would suggest as my top romance, but Kimi ni Todoke will always have a special place in my heart, as will Nana if it counts. I still need to finish Kaguya-sama, but I really like it so far, too. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, too. And comedy as it is, Nozaki-kun has me in stitches, even when I re-read it and already know the punchlines. Lol
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Since Yuri was mentioned here, I guess I will maintain that Kannazuki no Miko is still my favorite Yuri to watch.
Though that’s more an October to December thing than a February I’m being honest.
Valentine’s Day just depresses me.

And for me, I’m extremely picky with my romance anime. I have yet to find one that truly feels right up my alley.

I’ve probably said this before, but I look for a gender role reversal type romance anime, where the boy is the shy, soft, weak, damselish, dependent shrinking violet type.

While the girl is outgoing, brave, heroic, kind, chivalrous, much more like the “boyfriend” of the relationship, the “prince charming”, the “knight in shining armor” “the rescuer” type, but with a female.
(Preferably one who is also pretty muscular and tall)

But I have yet to find such a show.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
JustMonika wrote:
Where's Happy Sugar Life and Eromanga Sensei? Laughing

In the trash, where they belong.

At least Oreimo was not mentioned. Shocked

Most trashy romance has to be Rent a Girlfriend.

Surprised no one has mentioned Blue Spring Ride and the Quintessential Quintuplets.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:17 pm Reply with quote
[ahem]

Eureka seveN.

That is all.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Huge shout-outs to Kevin for going with the unconventional but fantastic pick of Steins;Gate. It's an amazing series for any number of reasons, but near the top has to be the prickly, shouty, ultimately heartwarming relationship between Okabe and Kurisu. The mentioned scene from 0 was absolutely brutal, but the sequence from the end of the original series it plays off is even more devastating in my book. Also mad props to Key for giving Crest/Banner of the Stars some well-deserved love. Jinto and Lafiel have amazing chemistry, and I couldn't get enough of their witty banter. About the only two who beat them in that department are Holo and Lawrence from Spice & Wolf. In both of those cases, the central relationship isn't explicitly romantic (at least not at first), but it soon becomes obvious that the two would be perfect for each other.

For me, though, the best-realized anime romance is and always will be...Eureka Seven. (Gah, beaten!) It starts out with such a familiar premise: a plucky teenage boy who instantly becomes infatuated by the girl who (literally) drops into his life, a girl who in turn is a green-haired nigh-emotionless cipher who's incredibly skilled at piloting a mysterious robot. (Hmmm...) But what I love about it is that it takes those well-worn tropes and just keeps building on them. Renton soon realizes that getting to know this girl is a far more complicated proposition than he first expected, and for her part Eureka has to deal with burgeoning feelings that she's never experienced before. Their relationship (if it can even be called that early on) gets off to an uneven start, and before long they experience trauma that drives them both emotionally and physically apart. But in the aftermath, they both start to realize just how truly important the other is, and they reunite and become an "actual" couple in one of all-time favorite single anime episodes, the mid-series masterpiece "Morning Glory." The latter half of the series sees them deal with crises both great and small, but through it all their relationship continues to grow and deepen, and by the end of the series they're willing to sacrifice everything for each other. This is one couple that earned their happily-ever-after. (We, uh, don't talk about those dubious sequel/remake attempts.)

And the best part is, if the main couple isn't quite your speed, then as a backup you have Dominic and Anemone, the hapless soldier and the broken traumatized military test subject whom he desperately wants to save. They earn their happy ending every bit as much as Renton and Eureka do. Or as a third option there's Holland and Talho, who spend much of the series working through decade-old personal issues before finding their own peace. And on top of all of those great options, you also get tons of gorgeous BONES-animated mecha combat. How many all-time romances can say that?

(Honorable mention goes to a friend's suggestion, Princess Tutu, which flipped its messy fairytale love quadrangle completely on its head by the end with very satisfying results.)
lemurs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

I’ve probably said this before, but I look for a gender role reversal type romance anime, where the boy is the shy, soft, weak, damselish, dependent shrinking violet type.

While the girl is outgoing, brave, heroic, kind, chivalrous, much more like the “boyfriend” of the relationship, the “prince charming”, the “knight in shining armor” “the rescuer” type, but with a female.
(Preferably one who is also pretty muscular and tall)

But I have yet to find such a show.

Sounds a lot like "Shikimori's Not Jut a Cutie", in which the boy is a kind, good-hearted fellow cursed with supernaturally bad luck, and his strong, athletic girlfriend Shikimori is always there to rescue him from his mishaps.
Doctorkev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:24 am Reply with quote
MrJeremyT wrote:
The lack of "The Dangers In My Heart" is sad Sad

You know, I very nearly almost chose this one but decided against it because it hasn't finished its run yet. I wanted to write about shows with a complete story, and I'll take any excuse to write about Steins;Gate!

I think The Dangers in My Heart is shaping up to be my favourite romance anime ever though, so if I ever get the chance to contribute to a similar article in future, there's a high chance I'd choose that one.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:15 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing Maison Ikkoku didn't make the list due to being OOP and unavailable for legal streaming, at least in English-translated form.
Doctorkev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:31 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
I'm guessing Maison Ikkoku didn't make the list due to being OOP and unavailable for legal streaming, at least in English-translated form.

But Caitlin did cover Maison Ikkoku in the article...

(The manga is one of my favourites but I don't think we've ever received an official release of the anime in any form in the UK, so I've never been able to watch it.)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:26 am Reply with quote
Doctorkev wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

But Caitlin did cover Maison Ikkoku in the article...

(The manga is one of my favourites but I don't think we've ever received an official release of the anime in any form in the UK, so I've never been able to watch it.)

Ah, missed it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
(Honorable mention goes to a friend's suggestion, Princess Tutu, which flipped its messy fairytale love quadrangle completely on its head by the end with very satisfying results.)

Yes, Princess Tutu is clearly a romance anime, but also, it ends with spoiler[MC getting cucked with one guy she liked and unable to date the other guy she ends up liking instead, destined to be forever alone. Not that she's unhappy with it, but still.] lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3