• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bocchi the Rock! Anime Series Blu-ray Disc Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Forest Moon wrote:
This release is priced the same as their recent dubbed blu-rays, MSRP and retail. They are basically charging us for a dub they haven't even produced. Not sure how long this has been going on but it's the first time I've noticed. I know Sentai charges less for sub-only releases, I assumed they all did.
I prefer dubs and don't mind paying a bit more for one, but to expect us to pay the same price for less is more than a little greedy of them. I'll most likely pick this up when it's in the bargain bin.
They increased their prices last year across the board after they were stagnant for so long.

So a bit of history:

In 2009 they released Aquarion in parts, and those were $59.98. In 2011, they introduced Limited Editions where they would cost $64.98, and then they introduced combo packs, the regular edition would be $64.98 and the Limited Edition would be $69.98. Around 2015, they increased the price of Limited Editions to $84.98. When they started going Blu-ray-only around 2018, they kept these price points despite no longer including the DVDs. Sub-only stuff was always a little bit cheaper once they started doing those beginning with OniAi at the end of 2013. C³ in 2016 was $49.98 for its combo pack rather than $64.98. Though Hypnososis Mic in 2022 I see ended up being $64.98 despite being sub-only, and Lapis Re:LiGHTS in 2021 was the same, so looks like for sub-only they increased prices earlier, the last $49.98 sub-only combo pack release was The Tatami Galaxy in 2019. Starting in July 2023, they raised the price of regular edition Blu-rays to $69.98 while the Limited Editions went up to $89.98, or, roughly how much a one-cour show released in 3 DVD singles cost in the 2000s unadjusted for inflation.

Just to note, with like say hentai, Media Blasters still charges $29.99 regardless of if it's Blu-ray or DVD, as well as if it's dubbed or not. So not everyone charges less for sub-only content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
But like I said before, that hasn't stopped shows like Love Live, the second season of Zombieland Saga, and other idol shows FUNimation got from getting dubs and just leaving the songs alone.

In Love Live's case, they would have been stupid not to dub them considering NIS America did for all of the original.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Without going into my personal feelings about the genre, their typical fare appeals to what is now a niche audience.

Ahaha, how times have changed huh? I was never into that genre at all, but it sure felt like you didn't count as a real anime fan if you weren't back in the day. Now, I'm not sure that generic trash isekai's and crunch time produced shounens are a great replacement, but it's funny how these things change over time.
Quote:
Based on the description alone, I would never have imagined that the series appealed to me in how it ended up doing.

Honestly though, same. For all the reasons listed in the review, the direction, the incredibly innovative animation, it was all just so charming in ways I never expected from this genre of show. Really glad I checked it out despite it's genre forebearers absolutely never being my thing.

And yeah as others have said, really disappointing release from Crunchyroll. But I may end up grabbing it anyway for the reasons stated in the review. And I do love my physical media releases.
Rob J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:41 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Rob J. wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I cannot fathom why Crunchyroll chose not to dub this into English.

So I'm thinking that SonyCrunchFun decided, probably logically in this case, that dubbing the dialogue while keeping the songs subbed was too much of a shift for general audiences and decided to keep it subbed.

But like I said before, that hasn't stopped shows like Love Live, the second season of Zombieland Saga, and other idol shows FUNimation got from getting dubs and just leaving the songs alone.

Maybe they like Bocchi the Rock more than they do the more conventional Idol shows and are thus treating it more delicately by choosing to not dub it?

Eh, it's either that or, okay, I'm changing my mind, it's probably to save money.

Seriously, though, it must be a little from column A, a little from column B. The review definitely makes it look like Bocchi is unconventional for an Idol show, so CrunchyFun might have felt it was too idiosyncratic to localize well, much less to break out as much as it has. Thus they thought they were saving money by being faithful enough to it to not do a dub. A subbing advocate could argue that CrunchyFun did the right thing for the wrong reason, but I'm not, so I'll just chalk it up to CrunchyFun being shortsighted.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, not having a dub after its many stream numbers for it doesn't make any sense having the home release not get one. (Sheesh, even people were cheering hard [the entire panel room even] on Bocchi when they had the screening of the Rascal does not Dream: Sister Venturing Out at Anime Expo (AX) 2023 when they showcased the animation studio's stuff before they aired the film and Bocchi was one of them. Could feel the energy how everyone was hyped on Bocchi.)

But yeah, it woudn't be the first time Funi/CR would do re-releases that included a dub. There were a few, and then there was Nichijou that was sub only previously, then re-released years later with a dub (and with dual audio) as an example. But yeah, all they can just do is have English everything on the series itself (Bocchi) except the songs if they ever do re-release it with a dub (hopeful).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:09 am Reply with quote
I doubt if the decision not to dub it at all was because of the music. More recent dubs with music left the songs in Japanese. I know that the cast for Zombieland 2 were disappointed by that, especially since the casting for season 1 was done in part with having people with music skills in mind. Love Live has been a blanket "no" on the songs, but hasn't stopped the different series from getting dubbed. Other companies never did English songs in the first place.

I was holding out hope that they would come back to it since sometimes they have done that with shows that weren't at the same popularity, and they sometimes guess wrong and don't have the resources at the time to do a simuldub.

The lack of extras is standard these days. Funimation used to do include them, or even make their own, to give people a little something extra for their purchase, but I noticed that as simuldubs grew, the extras shrank. I think they decided that stuff like commentaries wasn't something they were going to commit to since the booths were needed for new episodes.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The lack of extras is standard these days. Funimation used to do include them, or even make their own, to give people a little something extra for their purchase, but I noticed that as simuldubs grew, the extras shrank. I think they decided that stuff like commentaries wasn't something they were going to commit to since the booths were needed for new episodes.
The pandemic killed the commentary tracks. They stopped doing them around when there was the lockdowns, and then when everything reopened, they never went back to doing them despite no longer allowing voice actors to record from home.

Worth noting, FUNimation on nearly every release included nearly every JP video extra. As I mentioned before, anime releases were never really like Hollywood releases video-extras wise. The stuff we had back in the day was more on the English production side than the Japanese production side (Ex: Nearly everything for Colorful was stuff ADV Films produced, the only extras from the JP side were clean OP/ED, the only video extras found on the JP DVD release). There were things they did not include for Bocchi as Erufailon4 pointed out, but it's not the sort of at-length making of extra going into the actual animation production the review was hoping for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

For what little it's worth, Discotek still puts a ton of extras in everything they release, including existing commentaries whenever possible. The only time they couldn't include any extras was for their release of the Urusei Yatsura 80s TV series, and that was due to tight regulations on the Japanese end, since UY is a very protected property in Japan.
DemonMaster65

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:46 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I cannot fathom why Crunchyroll chose not to dub this into English. Seriously, this is one of their biggest hits in years.

Honestly I can only assume they weren't able to per the original license because this absolutely is the type of show they would normally jump at the chance to dub, or they had to release the show on blu-ray within a certain window for whatever reason (which seems unlikely). I can maybe understand not originally choosing it for a simuldub since some of that to an extent is just based on predictions of how successful a show could be... but you would think they'd go and do a backlog dub once the viewership proved it would be a good investment.

And whether or not they'd be able to dub the songs wouldn't have much sway in whether or not they'd dub the show, as they've dubbed plenty of shows under both circumstances.

The most likely reason it didn't get a dub is because no one expected this show to be so popular. Even if they wanted to produce a Dub it could be years before room opens up on their schedule. Just look at Laid Back Camp which didn't get a dub until 4 years after the first season premiered.

Or look at TLR and how it took over 10years to get a dub.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:06 am Reply with quote
DemonMaster65 wrote:

Or look at TLR and how it took over 10years to get a dub.

Or Emma - A Victorian Romance, took like a decade and a half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2