• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Spring 2024 Daily Streaming Reviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:14 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Ranger Reject make it and am looking forward to its coverage.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:32 am Reply with quote
Otcho wrote:
Most of the important ones have made it in. The only one missing for me is Yatagarasu, which seems like a series with great potential and also perfect for reviews with plenty to talk about.

Yeah, this is the one I’m truly sad didn’t make the cut. I mean, I knew it was a long shot, but episode 2 really sealed the deal for me. I think it’s gonna be one of those few shows where they really regret not having reviewed it.

But I’m stoked that so many of my choices made the cut, especially Tonari no Yōkai-san!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:39 am Reply with quote
I am mildly surprised that both Mission: Yozakura Family and Mysterious Disappearances made the cut and Salad Bowl of Eccentrics (which had a relatively high Community score) didn't, but not in the slightest surprised that Spice & Wolf was the top vote-getter. Also pleased to hear that Girls Band Cry will be covered if some streaming service picks it up.

Andrew Cunningham wrote:
You've really gotta override these results in Yatagarasu. The best show this season not making it in because you ran the poll too soon is a travesty.

Honestly, I'm not that surprised this one didn't make the cut, even though I did vote for it. Its first episode airing a week late certainly didn't help, but it also feels too much like a fringe title for mainstream anime audiences. Its first two episodes are pretty dense, there's no immediately-obvious storyline or long-term direction, and there's no characters to instantly latch onto. It may eventually be one of the season's best but I'm not sure I would place it among the season's strongest starts.

I am a little disappointed, but not at all surprised, that An Archdemon's Dilemma didn't make the cut.

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
There's no official English simulcast for Girls Band Cry as of yet which is outright mind-boggling in this day in age. Mad

I don't believe Blue Archive was licensed either, which is even more mind boggling considering how popular the mobile game seems to be.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Possibly I just sound like those people who are still made you don't cover Precure.

If you’re talking about me, I am not at all mad at the reviewers, they don’t control what gets picked. I just wish more people would watch it so it did get picked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otcho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
Otcho wrote:
Most of the important ones have made it in. The only one missing for me is Yatagarasu, which seems like a series with great potential and also perfect for reviews with plenty to talk about.

Yeah, this is the one I’m truly sad didn’t make the cut. I mean, I knew it was a long shot, but episode 2 really sealed the deal for me. I think it’s gonna be one of those few shows where they really regret not having reviewed it.

But I’m stoked that so many of my choices made the cut, especially Tonari no Yōkai-san!

It's a bit unfortunate, that a series, that premieres a few days later than the others, has only minimal chances to get weekly reviews. At least if it's not among the pre-season hyped up anime titles.

Not even a real criticsm of ANN. It's just bad timing and usually seems to affect only one show each season, that ends up falling through the cracks. It's simply a bit more frustrating this time, because it hit one of the most promising anime this season.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
All this buzz about Yatagarasu makes sound like something I need to check iut when I have some time. Dunno if I have it in me to do another period piece soon after Apothecary Dairies tho. Cause while I liked that and Raven of the Inner Palace, it's not setting I'm very big on in general..
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 am Reply with quote
Kalhiki wrote:
I don't believe Blue Archive was licensed either, which is even more mind boggling considering how popular the mobile game seems to be.
Clearly the fanbase uohd too hard and scared off the licensors.
Otcho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
All this buzz about Yatagarasu makes sound like something I need to check iut when I have some time. Dunno if I have it in me to do another period piece soon after Apothecary Dairies tho. Cause while I liked that and Raven of the Inner Palace, it's not setting I'm very big on in general..

Well, it's already been confirmed for two cours. So, if you need a break from the High-court, you can do that and it will still likely be airing, when you want to check it out.

Also, I don't know if this will be a masterpiece or anythinglike that. Just, that I really liked the start and its set-up of potential future storylines.

The fact, that it's apparently based on an acclaimed novel series, instead of a LN, makes me hopeful, but we'll have to see.

On the plus side, Studio Pierrot is usually very good at this type of material and genre and it seems, that this is still true. Makes me a bit optimistic in case my faint hope comes true, that they may continue their best anime of this type with Yona of the Dawn someday.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
Otcho wrote:
It's a bit unfortunate, that a series, that premieres a few days later than the others, has only minimal chances to get weekly reviews. At least if it's not among the pre-season hyped up anime titles.

Not even a real criticsm of ANN. It's just bad timing and usually seems to affect only one show each season, that ends up falling through the cracks. It's simply a bit more frustrating this time, because it hit one of the most promising anime this season.

Whisper Me A Love Song is a non-sequel which had a similarly late debut this season but still made the cut. There were a couple of cases last year where shows were voted in despite not having debuted at the time of the vote (one was a much-hyped show, but one wasn't), so a late debut isn't necessarily a hindrance to getting coverage.

Since it's not getting weekly coverage, there's probably a very good chance that it will get a full review at the end of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otcho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Otcho wrote:

Whisper Me A Love Song is a non-sequel which had a similarly late debut this season but still made the cut. There were a couple of cases last year where shows were voted in despite not having debuted at the time of the vote (one was a much-hyped show, but one wasn't), so a late debut isn't necessarily a hindrance to getting coverage.

Since it's not getting weekly coverage, there's probably a very good chance that it will get a full review at the end of the season.

I could be wrong, but I was actually under the impression, that Whisper Me A Love Song was a pretty highly anticipated anime before the season. At least, I actually had heard of the manga beforehand.

And i'm not saying a late premiere is a sure-fire death nail. If a show is great and makes a buzz, it can make it in a short amount of time.

More than anything I look at anime like this season's Tonari no Youkai-san, whose premiere i loved and where I'm very happy that it's getting weekly reviews, but where i have doubts, that it would have made it, if it had premiered as late as Yatagarasu.

Last edited by Otcho on Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I am glad that Yozakura Family and Kaiju nº8 made the cut and no Generic Isekai: the stats made it.

As for the rest, I can't say I am really hyped for them.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have to be psychic to forsee the God tier Date A Live not being picked up.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc got voted in. I don't expect the structural/pacing problems with the anime to change this season, so I expect having it reviewed here is just going to result in the same cycle of James Beckett pointing out these issues and people getting mad at him for it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:33 pm Reply with quote
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels wrote:
I'm honestly surprised Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc got voted in. I don't expect the structural/pacing problems with the anime to change this season, so I expect having it reviewed here is just going to result in the same cycle of James Beckett pointing out these issues and people getting mad at him for it.

Yeah, this feels like an unfortunate use of James' time. Hopefully his sanity endures.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4