• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fall of Legends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gothung

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
Ah kindred spirits...

First, Megaman Legends. It's a shame about the cancellation. Worse still to hear that people who weren't able to enjoy the first two, will likely never get to enjoy them due to the voice actor contracts preventing a re-release onto the PSN store. Who DOESN'T like playing as everyone's favorite blue bomber in a 3-D world, with new likable characters and an eternally bongo-playing monkey robot?

At least I can take solace in Catherine... (six more days!).

I personally would prefer the J-Audio track, but that's not to say I wouldn't have bought Catherine even if it wasn't included. I agree, those fans aren't really "fans" if they spout that BS. But I also understand the fear of an English track... one bad voice actor can be so distracting that it ruins the experience that all the good actors built up. I'll probably play it twice anyways just to hear both tracks (unless it's overly long or something).
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Catherine: Despite we should be grateful we're getting this game, you should see the nonsense the so-called Atlus faithful stirred up. They actually demanded, demanded, the original Japanese audio alongside the dub. Can you believe these idiots? Especially when the characters have English and European names. What is it with these dub-haters? Ah well, for those of us who actually care about the effort they put in, we can enjoy Troy Baker, Michelle Ruff and many other familiar voices for the story.

I despise people like you. Instead of being happy that everyone got what they wanted, you have to come back yelling as if you've lost something. And people not liking dubs is not relevant to language, but to production issues. Sheesh, when will you people get that through your head?

Last edited by naninanino on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
It looks like the only thing left for Mega Man is comics if Megamix and the Archie series is anything to go by.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
Oh, man Legends 3 cancelled. Shocked I remember playing Legends 2 when being a kid and made lots of question in the end. (How is Mega Man getting off the moon? was Mega Man actually a man in his previous life? Are there really new opponents in Earth reviving? why can I hunt monsters in a church?) Now thanks to Capcom, I'll never get the answers. Crying or Very sad
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Considering the storage capacities for Bluray and DVD, I don't think there's much reason not to have two audio tracks.

I strongly agree on that point.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Considering the storage capacities for Bluray and DVD, I don't think there's much reason not to have two audio tracks.

It may not have anything to do with storage capacity but everything with programing it into the game. Generally, that would have to be taken care of the original Japanese team who programed the game but they may have been to busy with other projects to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
PlatinumHawke wrote:

ATLUS recently talked about localization on the Joystiq show that file size is rarely the issue, but rather programming, and clearance is.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
I prefer to take my games like I take my anime: Japanese with subs. So far the only games I've come across that have offered this are Yakuza 3&4, which are obviously marketed towards Japanophiles, and the horror game Kuon. This makes me a little sad, but I'm not about to get all militant about it. The acting in the Catherine demo was pretty decent.

Although it seems like no effort to offer a choice of language tracks, it may be more complicated than that. I'm not in the gaming industry, so this is an educated guess, but it seems that the English version has different lip movements to the Japanese. This is good because it gets around the usual dub problem of having to keep the each dub audio phrase the same length as the original, to match the lip flap. Being free of that restriction means more freedom in translations and more natural acting. BUT it's bad because switching languages is no longer as simple as switching the audio on a DVD, you have to switch the lip movements, which affects the timing of the game action. The end result is, you have to test the game twice. So one of the most expensive tasks in localizing a game now costs double.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
AW MAN THAT SUCKS!!! Y'know I had a feeling that it was only a matter of time that this was going to happen. Farewell MML you were a game [at a time] that I took the chance of playing. I played you on easy, normal, hard, with and without cheat codes, in Japanese, on easy, normal, hard, with and without Japanese cheat codes. I bought doujins in your honor. Laughed among friends of such jokes where "you had be there to understand it." That's how much I enjoyed ML when I first got it. And now it comes to an end. But it doesn't have to. The legacy lives on and never forgotten.

It's really a shame they didn't follow through. I'm still amazed that there were just as many fans for this part of the series.

I guess MML will be joining the hall of fame of games that could have been if they gotten their dues. So long BOF so long MML.

Looking forward to 'Catherine'. Already on my list of recommendations for fall semester. It's always good to have different things sometimes.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Catherine's an experiment for the Shin Megami Tensei series and its Persona subset.

No, it's not. Yes, Vincent had a cameo in P3P. But Catherine is not part of the Shin Megami Tensei series. It's just by the same team, who were using the early cameo to promote their game. It's supposed to have the feel of a SMT game, but it is not a SMT game itself. Otherwise it would have one of the series titles with it. (Persona and Devil Survivor are actually Megami Ibunroku games, which translate as "Alternate Tale of the Goddess", as opposed to "Goddess Reincarnation" or "True Goddess Reincarnation". And what we know as "Digital Devil Saga" is actually the series name, the game names are "Avatar Tuner 1" and "Avatar Tuner 2")
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
Although it seems like no effort to offer a choice of language tracks, it may be more complicated than that. I'm not in the gaming industry, so this is an educated guess, but it seems that the English version has different lip movements to the Japanese. This is good because it gets around the usual dub problem of having to keep the each dub audio phrase the same length as the original, to match the lip flap. Being free of that restriction means more freedom in translations and more natural acting. BUT it's bad because switching languages is no longer as simple as switching the audio on a DVD, you have to switch the lip movements, which affects the timing of the game action. The end result is, you have to test the game twice. So one of the most expensive tasks in localizing a game now costs double.

Not necessarily. I think in Vanquish, they changed the lip movements to match the English track. The Japanese language option just changed the audio, it didn't swap the lip flaps. Maybe it doesn't look as good, but I don't think the folks who want Japanese language tracks would be that bothered by it.

I find that the writing in games tends to be so... unpleasant to listen to in English. By having the audio in a language I don't understand, it makes bad writing a lot more tolerable. I know that FFXIII would have been so much better for me if the characters were speaking gibberish.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
I prefer to take my games like I take my anime: Japanese with subs. So far the only games I've come across that have offered this are Yakuza 3&4, which are obviously marketed towards Japanophiles, and the horror game Kuon.

Just in case you are looking for games with Japanese soundtracks, Valkyria Chronicles (PS3 only) has both a Japanese and English track. As does, I understand, Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean the Last Hope International Edition and Resonance of Fate and Cross Edge and Trinity Universe and pretty much any Disgea Title and the new Atelier Rorona title. There are probably more, but not that I know of offhand.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Catherine: Despite we should be grateful we're getting this game, you should see the nonsense the so-called Atlus faithful stirred up. They actually demanded, demanded, the original Japanese audio alongside the dub. Can you believe these idiots? Especially when the characters have English and European names. What is it with these dub-haters? Ah well, for those of us who actually care about the effort they put in, we can enjoy Troy Baker, Michelle Ruff and many other familiar voices for the story.

I despise people like you. Instead of being happy that everyone got what they wanted, you have to come back yelling as if you've lost something. And people not liking dubs is not relevant to language, but to production issues. Sheesh, when will you people get that through your head?

Given the misquote, I don't know if you're directing your comments towards myself, or belvadeer.

Under the assumption that it was towards me and that you erased the wrong block of text: what did I write that made you think that I was "yelling" at its loss? I am simply lamenting the loss of language option - I can deal with English-only and I'm not boycotting the game - and voicing my suspicion about the exclusion. I don't think I sounded pretentious in my writing.

All this Catherine talk is reminding me that I still need to go pre-order the game.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy Catherine even if all the spoken dialogue were only in iambic pentameter Klingon.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Buster Blader, for the misquote.

It seems I made an error on thinking they were adding it, given all the demands, but now it seems otherwise. I won't support practices that are against my interests so I'll be skipping on the game. A good thing I noticed.

(Also, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 & 3, Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage had dual audio options. Dynasty Warriors 7 had it as DLC.)

Last edited by naninanino on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4