• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hairy Situations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
I watched a bit of D'Eon before it was licensed (and by a bit I mean part of the first episode), but I found it a tad slow for my tastes. I've become much pickier about anime I watch lately and usually if I feel bored after watching 15 minutes or so I turn it off. All the attention it has been getting has left me curious however, so I might give it another try some day.

I'm very excited for Paradise Kiss to come out, I love that series so much (though I'm more excited for the special edition release of the last disc).

Also I totally agree, dubtitles suck.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
MNanimefreak wrote:
i got a chance to see La Chev on youtube before they yanked it (first 9 episodes)...and it is a very impressive story. very well written and explained, you need no degree in french history to understand this series.

That's good to know. I love France and French history, but I don't know much of it X_x.

And B Zellers has a lot of good stuff. Anime smallmouth
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Small error I noticed. The Naruto set only goes to episode 25, not to 26.
yellow-hairedwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
700 anime dvds?!?!?!

Oh. It just makes my anime collection look sad. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
Dammit, Bobobo was the first R1 anime DVD that I've been interested in collecting in ages, and they messed it up.

Same with me...I am so disappointed Crying or Very sad
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
This season of 24 is sure to garner Keef another Emmy nod if not a second win. Frankly, the hell they've already put him through in these first 5-6 episodes just makes me want to put the poor bastard out of his misery. He's suffered so much. Just so long as we can get Kim Bauer taken out as a bonus.

Definitely checking out Le Chevalier, for I too love a crack squad of government operatives.

Jack Bauer Power Hour-- 2 hours tonight. Sa-weet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
If you want to watch anime but can't get your mind off Keifer, why not watch Armitage III: Poly-Matrix? It's the only place you'll ever find both Keifer Sutherland and anime in the same place. Very Happy
Except though he was reading the script, he just wasn't there for it. Rolling Eyes
alifemde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
That guy's DVD collection is nothing really. My best friend has 6 of those jumbo DVD-shelves full to the brim, and he's already transfered all his cases to slimcases. No pictures to brag to the mass public with though, because he doesn't live for public approval of his (readily admitted) lack of a life.

Meh...
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
jgreen wrote:
If you want to watch anime but can't get your mind off Keifer, why not watch Armitage III: Poly-Matrix? It's the only place you'll ever find both Keifer Sutherland and anime in the same place. Very Happy
Except though he was reading the script, he just wasn't there for it. Rolling Eyes

Hey, I never said it was his finest moment. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's see...My collection on my shelf measures out to about a foot long. Actually it's a bit less than that. Needless to say, most of my money goes to games, and the vast majority of the anime I watch is on TV.
maus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
That's a really nice collection. I can discern a lot of boxsets I have. Funny that he doesn't have the third bentou box of Rurouni Kenshin (it shows that he knows what's good because that season was BAD!!) The collector had great taste too (he's got Stargate, McGyver and Star Wars between the anime dvd's!
But where are BSG and Rome? Rolling Eyes
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
alifemde wrote:
That guy's DVD collection is nothing really. My best friend has 6 of those jumbo DVD-shelves full to the brim, and he's already transfered all his cases to slimcases. No pictures to brag to the mass public with though, because he doesn't live for public approval of his (readily admitted) lack of a life.

Meh...

Anybody can have a best friend that does this or has that (Yup, anybody can make up stuff.) What about you?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but those who know me know I have over 1800 anime dvds, but they're scattered all over the house, so It's not really possible to photograph them. And mine are double-layered-loose dvds in back, box sets in front

As for BoBoBo, I would have preferred proper subtitles, but to say

"Honestly, there is no point in releasing the Japanese language version of something if you're not going to translate it.".
"Since it is a kids' show, I'd rather Illumitoon just release a dub DVD and market it for kids. Really. Because honestly, how many adults are there who are actually banging on the doors of Best Buy at 9 o'clock, desperate for the next volume of Bo^7"

-when you also say you're not a fan of the entire insane humor genre is just ridiculous. This adult pre-ordered it long ago & will continue to pre-order it, although I will e-mail the company expressing a desire for real subtitles. That usually seems to be the work of the dub studio. They're a new company, & realistically subtitles & alternate language tracks aren't all that important to most American dvd buyers, so they just need to be made aware of their audience.

4Kids never gave us Shaman King or Tokyo Mew Mew. I was very disappointed in Tokyopop over Rave Master when they, more than anyone, should have known better.

I for one will listen in Japanese because I love Takehito Koyasu's delivery. Yeah, it's be nice to know what he's saying, but I'll live with this, email them, I pray they pay attention. Look at Dragonball Z-how long did we wait to get the Saiyan Saga uncut & they're still dragging out the Japanese track release. (And I do prefer Ryo Horikawa's Vegeta)
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
This guy's collection is pretty insane. I wish I had all he had. I've only recently started buying anime DVDs (two months ago is when I started) and so far this is what I've got:

The two NARUTO uncut box sets
Evangelion Platinum Collection
Hellsing Ultimate I Special Edition
Ghost in the Shell STAND ALONE COMPLEX Complete Collection (not 2nd GIG, but the first series as released by Manga Entertainment)
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (still shrink-wrapped. Hoping to sell it. Saw the fansub, the movie sucks balls)
The two Rurouni Kenshin OVAs (Seishouhen and Tsuiokuhen)
Trigun - Limited Collector's Edition I
Trigun - Limited Collector's Edition II
Gankutsuou (all of it, with the art box)
and lastly, Fullmetal Alchemist Conqueror of Shamballa Special Edition.

I have a bunch of other anime DVDs that I ordered from DeepDiscount.com that haven't gotten here yet ($400-worth of DVDs) so I'm not counting those.

How am I doing with my collection? I would like an opinion. Also, I would like this guy to tell us an estimate of how much money he's spent on all those anime DVDs. That would be interesting to know.

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
maus wrote:
Funny that he doesn't have the third bentou box of Rurouni Kenshin (it shows that he knows what's good because that season was BAD!!)

The shelves are mine.

Actually, I've got 1 and 3... 3 was on sale on DeepDiscount DVD and I jumped on it, haven't had a chance to get 2. I usually use TRSI's studio sales, but money's been tight lately.

And I know my collection isn't that insane.. last week non-withstanding, I've got a friend that's got a collection that puts mine to shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3