• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Interestingly enough, that "Super-size me!" line was also in the fansubs by that group I'm not going to name. Could it be coincidence that the dub script used that? Surprised

I doubt it. I also noticed a few other similarities between the fansub and the official subtitles/dub. I noticed they used the same exact (and imo, extremely inaccurate) translation of "Moe = Turn on". It's too much of a coincidence, I'm 99% sure they took these from the fansubs. Judging by the way they've been treating this whole release though, it seems like more of a homage to the fansubs rather than "stealing work".
I was going to make note of that too...homages are fine, but I wonder why they didn't use the "heads will roll" bit in place of "death penalty" in Vol. 1, as that was a good bit of comedy.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten this volume yet...I'm torn on whether I really need the LE, with money being a bit limited...if I want to rewatch it in broadcast order, I can always shuffle DVDs when I get all four of them (not to mention the fansubs are still on my HD), so I don't need that LE extra DVD. And the non-disc extras aren't really relevant, as I don't need the CD either. I'd agree that the "chronological vs. broadcast" debate doesn't come into play so much on this volume -- it's the later volumes where they "killed time with those long-winded Nagato scenes" that might bring the overall impression of the series down. Especially for anyone who's expecting the last episode to top Melancholy VI.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I just got this last night through netflix........WOW

I love this series....truly i do

I knew that this was in the chrono order but wow! Episodes 4 5 and 6 was just mindblowing. 6 made all the otaku fangirl in me scream and talk at the tv (which scares people lol) I was really into what was happening. I like the fact that spoiler[ To wake the madien or haruhi in this case is a kiss like in the stories] Im a sucker for things like that. I got mile a minute laughs and the animation was all over the place! One of the best examples of animation in my eyes. spoiler[Also I am now scared of ryoko asakura. The cute ones always turn into killer aliens or whatever] I didn't expect to seespoiler[an action scene to the likes of that in 4 in this. Blood! lots of BLOOD! ] it caught me by surprise.

I think because this is in chrono order this will end up being the best dvd in the series. The rest seem like its all a relaxed pace now. But I WILL BUY THIS AT OTAKON. Anything for my deity Haruhi-sama.

(okay she's not my diety...did i even spell that right?)
Pake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how much I'll like the whole chronological order idea, even though it makes more sense story wise. I loved how random it was broadcasted, because only in the end did it start to make sense. The simplest way I can put it is: The fun and eccentric broadcasting order fit with the fun and eccentric behavior of Haruhi.

Then again, my copy of v2 is sitting to my left and I've yet to watch the first dvd entirely. Eitherway, if the chronological order leads into the sequel well, then I'll prefer it, as the broadcasting order would make it a little harder to do fluidly.
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 definitely felt like the end- I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go on or not. I do wonder how things will carry on.

I approve heartily of the use of Mahler in that episode as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I approve heartily of the use of Mahler in that episode as well.

I also appreciate the use of Tchaikovsky in "The Day of Sagittarius". I can't wait to see that episode again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Loganno1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
heres details for Australian Release

madman wrote:
Volumes 1-4 in Home Video/Chronological order just like US/JPN DVD release. These will be the DVD versions with the cleaned up animation etc. All volumes will have a reversible alternate cover featuring the JPN LE DVD art

Volume 1 ULTRA SUPER LIMITED EDITION will include
Volume 1 (duh)
"Dan Cho" Leader Arm Band
REDEMPTION VOUCHER! <- This is important as it is only going to be included in the V1 LIMITED EDITION BOX only. You will need to collect this and the 3 other vouchers (one in each volume) to redeem a special double DVD set that will contain the entire series in broadcast order.

So to make this clear again. To get a 5th volume double DVD set featuring the entire series in broadcast order (there's a space for it in the box by the way) you will need the vouchers from:
V1 and box
V2
V3
V4

Volume 1 stand alone DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY VOUCHERS!

Once you have all the vouchers you will have a window of 2-3 months to send it in to redeem the DVD. Once the offer period has expired, we will not be accepting the redemptions!

We may also have more in store for the V1 and box, so stay tuned. It's all pending approval from our licensor at the moment, but we will let you all know once we can release information!

So it looks like in aus/nz we will be able to get it in broadcast order [thanks god] Very Happy

btw if comes out on 12/09/2007 http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?releaseId=8639&method=view
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
I have never seen this subbed, and i plan on buying volume 1 soon. It seems like it has a lot of fans, and from what I've heard, it's funny. I'm lacking in anime (Yuyu Hakusho vol. 1, some old pokemon and DBZ movies [lol], a few DBZ VHSs, Medabots vol. 1 and 2, and Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 13 which I won't watch until I get 1-12.) since I pretty much only buy manga, so I want to pick this title up. With Death Note coming in November, I will hopefully start rivaling my manga with anime soon.

Last edited by population_tire on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya episodes... uhh... disc 2

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS FOR CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER WATCHERS

WOW... episode 6 was REALLY good (or, whichever the 3rd episode on disc is); it made the series for me, that’s for sure.

Also, it kinda confirmed my theory that:

spoiler[Haruhi was harboring some kinda EPIC (there’s that word again) secret crush on Kyon (which I found pretty cute, when considering the actual character… in fact, seeing her kinda vulnerable wasn’t that bad of a change either… little things like grabbing onto Kyon’s uniform was nice). Though, more interesting is WHY she chose him in the first place; it seems like she was under the impression that Kyon had found himself in the same dilemma of immense personal insignificance and boredom that Haruhi happened to find herself in (which is why he could sort of understand Haruhi during that moment where she expanded on it).

I mean, it sort of wasn’t obvious, but Kyon was pretty drawn to the life (as evidenced by his opening monologue, from what I can remember), hence why he would go along with most of Haruhi’s BS (and why Haruhi would think the above in that he’s actually interested). But, Kyon sort of confirms that it’s better to be looking for this stuff in the real world, as opposed to creating an idealized world (where it’s only her and Kyon that exist), just because you gave up on the real world.

(which, all things considering, does have the stuff she’s looking for… she should just keep looking… though, it’s funny that it’s all right under her nose and everyone has to play coy to “keep the balance” since, otherwise, it would then occur to Haruhi that the stuff she was looking for was common crap after all and we’d be back to being screwed)

Saw the Snow White reference and what it meant incoming, but that doesn’t hide the fact that it was totally sweet and had this huge climax when it happened; I approve.

Also, I like the irritation buildup going there; one moment that caught my eye was when she asked Kyon to leave the room before changing into her bunny suit (as opposed to regularly taking her stuff off without a moment’s notice); seems like she doesn’t see Kyon simply as some “thing” anymore, which was pretty neat.

That said… if I looked at this really critically… damn, Haruhi is one hell of a prima donna; when things don’t go her way, she just HAS to throw this huge fit that, when you think about it, will screw up the entire world as we know it.

But, it appeals, so I find myself in vast approval of her character, regardless; it’s entertaining.

Talking about that, I REALLY liked the baseball episode; I thought it was funny that the fate of the world suddenly had to hinge on the outcome of a baseball game (which Kyon was initially trying to throw away [by bringing his little sister onto the team] due to the fact that having to workout on a Sunday was kinda lame and tiring).

I also like how it felt like Kyon was vaguely having to contemplate between screwing up the ecological environment 10,000 years into future and having Yuki make it rain to have the game called; awesome stuff.

Also, I liked the little scene where Haruhi changes her mind about having Mikuru don a pony tail given that it’s “what Kyon likes;” again, the little things.

With that said, it seems like the main conflict will now be a romantic struggle between all the characters in which… uhh… falling in love will f*** the world up (since it seems like Yuki and Mikuru are sort of building on their relationship with Kyon); if that’s not the most amusing thing, then I don’t know what is.

But then, maybe they’re only trying to get me to think this way; I won’t know for sure unless I see the rest of the show given that some other random stuff might be thrown in (such as that talking cat from episode 00… and no, don’t tell me about it since I wanna be surprised).

Also, they’re probably gonna go into the specifics of the “3 years ago” thing sooner or later, so I’ll be watching for that (unless they already have, and I completely missed it… it isn’t Haruhi’s realization, is it? *don’t tell me since I wanna find out for myself… yeah, I’m having a hard time pinning it down since I don’t know how many years there are in middle school*).

That said, I think I can now sort of see the appeal of screwing around with the arrangement of the episodes…

Like, for example, if you placed that episode where Kyon and Haruhi investigate Asahina’s disappearance, you would have no idea that Yuki and Kyon were actually involved in the thing since Kyon barely makes reference to it in said episode.

Then, when you actually do see the episode with her wielding a damn knife around, you get colored surprised and go “OH! So that’s why she disappeared… she didn’t move to Canada… Haruhi was right [about the mysterious circumstances]!”

I dunno… it probably works out to something like that… but, I’m still pretty satisfied with just watching it like this since the show is still really entertaining even if there aren’t vague attempts to challenge the viewer (outside of long drawn-out dialogue about… science stuff… that could just be summarized as “we’re screwed if we displease her” and/or “we’re hoping her powers can be utilized to do stuff”).]

That said, interpretation subject to change if I was to either see more or go back and watch and notice more things…

Which I’m going to be doing today, actually… all 8 episodes, in fact.

Man, this show is so beast; I’ll probably be around during the alleged 2nd season.

END OF PART 1

Well, I'm going to Costco, and I'm not really done talking about this yet, so I'll be back later.

======================

I really liked the scene where Mikuru was curled up in a ball and put the glove over her head; that was surprisingly cute to look at, for some reason.

Also

EPISODE 6 stuff:

spoiler[I really liked Kyon's realization that... when it comes down to it, Haruhi isn't a "god," a "fluctuation" or a "means for evolution" to him like she is with everyone else... in the end, she's just a girl that drives him crazy and is fun to be with (especially since he was able to realized his little dream about hanging out with time-travellers, aliens, ESPers, etc. thanks to his fated meeting with Haruhi).

Yeah, it was really cute and I wanna see them expand on that some more.

(though, there seems to be vague hints over Haruhi's feelings in the baseball episode *such as the aforementioned pony tail contemplation for Mikuru*... uhh... don't tell me if there's more though, since I wanna be surprised)

]

===================

And... no, I never did part 2... got lazy.

I did go to Costco though, if people need to know.

EDIT: Wait... I think I posted this here already...

Wow, my memory sucks... well, anyway, the second part is new content, so I might as well keep it here.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Oh, cool. I'm glad the chronological thing doesn't seem to be that important. I was a bit worried, because I'm a big original order Narnia fan (i.e. Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is book 1 for me, NOT the Magician's Nephew), so original order is usually important to me. But I really didn't want to spend that much extra money for original order, and I also didn't want to get up and keep changing the discs around if I did need to watch it in original order. Maybe I'll actually get this series after all!
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a question. Does the Japanese boxed entire series have English subs? I'm asking because I don't want to buy a bootlegged version because I found the boxed set with Eng. subs.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I don't think so...

Whatever site it is you're using man...

I think you need to look elsewhere for DVDs (assuming you don't want bootlegs, of course... which, I recall from the Death Note thread, that you don't).
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
i switched websites.Smile I'm never using that other one again.

Now I'm on ebay.

Thanks. *sigh* I guess I'll wait for a dubbed box set. Boxes are way better deal than $30 a DVD.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
E-bay is actually a little weird too; I almost bought a Kimagure Orange Road bootleg that one time...

That said, you should give deepdiscount.com or dvdpacific.com a whirl; the prices are quite nice and it's legit all the way.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
E-bay is actually a little weird too; I almost bought a Kimagure Orange Road bootleg that one time...

That said, you should give deepdiscount.com or dvdpacific.com a whirl; the prices are quite nice and it's legit all the way.
thanks for the reccomendation.Very Happy I've been looking for sites other than rightstuf.

yay! $18 and free shipping!
thanks again!Very Happy

and thanks for the tip hitokiri. (don't want to make a separate post for a one-liner like that)RazzVery Happy

Last edited by population_tire on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Japanese DVDs almost never have Enlish subtitles. If it has English subtitles, odds are it's a bootleg. If you are paying less than $200 for a 13 episode series, it is probably a bootleg. Japanese DVDs are very expensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3