• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
♥Paprika♥

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
TheVok wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I couldn't keep up with the subs when I watched it.

Yet ironically now you can, as DVDs are pause-able and slow-able. Wink

Having to constantly pause or stop it would probably make the movie less enjoyable. Wink

It does, imensely so in fact. One reason why I hate sub-only releases and generally avoid them (although there have been a few I felt I couldn't pass up like the Kimagure Orange Road TV series, and...well how offen do you get to see anime in an actual theater? Yeah not much, so I take it anyway I can get it).

My eyes are not so great and it's a problem with the optic nerve which isn't fully correctable. It really only effects me by slowing down my reading speed since I have to concentrate harder and work overtime using a speed-reading tactic. It works by reading bits and pieces of the sentences only (nouns and verbs, the rest if there's time) then try to comprehend and reconstruct the sentences instantanious in my mind. It's hit or miss when the title is an overly conversational one like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Twelve Kingdoms. It's also something which is better done when you're wide awake.
DClark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
When I decide I want to watch the sub on a movie or episode, what I normally do is watch the entire show dubbed, then immediately go back and start it again subbed. In the first viewing I'm able to see the visuals while listening to the english VAs, then when the sub viewing comes around I still remember the visuals clearly so I can concentrate more on the japanese VAs and the subtitles on the screen, and let my memory fill in the blanks left by not completely concentrating on the visuals.

And as Dargonxtc eluded to, the extras on the disk are pretty good. There's a filmmaker's commentary, a 30 minute 'making of' documentary, a 29 minute group discussion about Paprika's 'dream world' with Satoshi Kon, Yasutaka Tsutsui, Megumi Hayashibara (Atsuko/Paprika), and Toru Furuya (Tokita), a 15 minute look at the GCI effects, and a 12 minute look at the art direction of the movie. All the extras are in japanese with english subtitles.

The only thing I've yet to do is watch the movie with the filmmaker commentary enabled.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I watched my copy finally last night, definitely better the second time arround.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
it all made me feel dizzy. I enjoyed it until I got confused on who was real and who was not- and the dub sounded really good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
I bought the R2 release last summer, but wasn't all that keen to watch it since I prefer long series over short movies, but I got into the mood to watch it recently and I must say I'm quite impressed.

One of the reasons why I loved Paprika is that it's of my favroite genre that I don't come across so often: cyberpunk, sci-fi, psychological with a dose of philosophy. The discussing of the bad side of technology and humanity's current issues with communicating with one another in this day and age reminded me of Ghost in the Shell and Lain -two shows of the same genre that I love.

I'm also glad to hear Hayashibara Megumi in it, her voice is one of the main reasons that made Paprika quite likeable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2