• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Azumanga Daioh

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
I have not read the manga in about 4 years but I probably should give it a read again. I should get the Yen Press version to see how it compares to the ADV version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh was the first Manga I ever bought and it's still honestlly one of my faviroutes from the charcters to the orginally crude to latter improveing art work it's just a faviroute of mine.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you for reviewing one of my all time favorite manga! I still have the ADV versions, as well as the ADV slimline pack of the anime. This series is one that can be enjoyed by fans at any level. I remember loaning volume 1 of the manga to an intern at work a couple years ago, then missing it so much that I asked "have you finished it yet?" every couple of weeks! I didn't get it back until the last day of her internship!
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
I recall that Azuma redrew the whole thing some moons back. Is that version availble in the West? I am considering buing this, but have held back because I am not goint to buy the same manga twice, once with old and again with new art.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Azumanga is in my top ten of anime/manga. It is such a simple story its brilliant. No explosions, drama, magic, action etc. Just a story of girls in high school. I have read the manga and watch the anime at least twice a year from start to finish. I love it because it makes me remember my years in high school and I can see situations and characteristics in the show that I can link to my friends. It really is a great show/manga. Truly a great work.
immortalrite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I always thought it was interesting that ADV chose to give Osaka a New Yorker accent in their original manga translation (and what from I have seen no accent in their omnibus edition) but a Southern drawl in the anime. I wonder if in using the drawl Yen was simply trying to be consistent with Osaka's anime rendition.

That aside, I still consider this series a genuine work of pure comedic genius, and easily one of the funniest graphic novels I have ever read (second perhaps only to Yotsuba&). It also remains vastly superior in just about every respect to its above-mentioned recent knock-offs (namely Lucky Star and K-ON!).
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
I always thought it was interesting that ADV chose to give Osaka a New Yorker accent in their original manga translation (and what from I have seen no accent in their omnibus edition) but a Southern drawl in the anime. I wonder if in using the drawl Yen was simply trying to be consistent with Osaka's anime rendition.

That aside, I still consider this series a genuine work of pure comedic genius, and easily one of the funniest graphic novels I have ever read (second perhaps only to Yotsuba&). It also remains vastly superior in just about every respect to its above-mentioned recent knock-offs (namely Lucky Star and K-ON!).

I would at assume that would be the case. I know with English dub of K-On they call Azusa, Azusa-meow which I know the manga says too but I do not know which translation would have come first.

I am not sure if Lucky Star and K-ON! are knock-offs of Azumanga Diaoh, at least I do not see it that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well,I've heard of the anime version of "Azumanga Daioh." But I've never seen the manga version before. Come to think of it,I've never seen the anime version either. This kinda reminds me of stuff like "Garfield" and "Peanuts." There are a lot of goofy characters. I think one of the goofiest is Yukinari-sensei who screams in terror when she sees an American tourist.
I'd probably like this one,if I knew where to go to get this thing. I haven't read it but again,I'd probably like it.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the point of Osaka was she doesn't have an Osakan accent. That was the point in the anime, it should be a point in the manga. My friends were complaining about that when they heard the dub voice for the first time. It might be a decision that this connection of someone expecting an accent not having one be a bit of a stretch to make, but still, accuracy?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
I remember loaning volume 1 of the manga to an intern at work a couple years ago, then missing it so much that I asked "have you finished it yet?" every couple of weeks! I didn't get it back until the last day of her internship!

Either she liked it so much she didn't want to give it back, or she wasn't enamored by it that it took her that long just to get thru it. Laughing

animefan1238 wrote:
I love it because it makes me remember my years in high school and I can see situations and characteristics in the show that I can link to my friends.

I call BS! No true otaku would admit not being miserable in their high school years. Laughing
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
One thing I really like about Azumanga Daioh is that it captures the "feel" of actually going through three years of senior high school in Japan very well indeed. Small wonder why this "4-koma" series is fondly-remembered.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Well this review prompted me to pick up a copy of the Omnibus edition today. I'd been eying it for some time and this was the nudge that got me moving.

I'm 3/4's of the way thru it and it has had me laughing out loud. So, I'd say it was a success.

In Yen's translation Osaka talks like all the people I grew up with in Southeastern Oklahoma. "Ha! She ain't got no accent."

Thanks to Jason for the recommendation.

Mark Gosdin
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,I've heard of the anime version of "Azumanga Daioh." But I've never seen the manga version before. Come to think of it,I've never seen the anime version either. This kinda reminds me of stuff like "Garfield" and "Peanuts." There are a lot of goofy characters. I think one of the goofiest is Yukinari-sensei who screams in terror when she sees an American tourist.
I'd probably like this one,if I knew where to go to get this thing. I haven't read it but again,I'd probably like it.

You should be able to find the Omnibus (really thick version) of it in most major bookstores. It's from Yen Press. You can also order online as well.

As for the anime, it might be harder to find since technically ADV is no more (though they are now called Sentai/Section 23). I have seen a thin-pack version at my local Fry's, so it might be still easy to get. Probably the best place to find it would be gohastings.com (they sell used/new stuff).

As far as the article goes, it is pretty good.

The manga & anime versions of Azumanga Daioh are so fun, cute, and just heartwarming. This is one series/manga that makes me sad at the end, just cause you never want it to end. The whole graduation stuff still gets me choked up every time I either watch it or read it.

I still say that Azuma should let somebody try Yotsuba&! though, cause it would be great as an anime IMO.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Ah good ol' Azumanga Daioh. Enjoyed the series immensely to the point that after seeing some of the series I immediately went out and purchased the series the next day. I have to admit that was the fastest purchase ever made. Of course I read the manga.

Four-panel comics have always been a favorite of mine ever since I came across them a decaded ago. Mostly of the video game variety. They are a really good example when studying comic panel form. Of course the Japanese have own little formulas. Much of which not only attracts readers but teaches future artists. I wonder if there have been any recent books about comics that have ever looked into 4-panel comics around the world.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
To be honest the manga took a while to grow on my, I don't really find many of the first strips funny... but once I got on the track I had to keep reading until the end. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3