• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shugo Chara!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Patachu wrote:
MagicallyDelicious wrote:
I I think there's also this mindset going around that "shoujo anime doesn't sell" (often because girls prefer manga instead).

If anyone thinks that shougo anime wouldn't sell in the US then they probably have not been keeping up with the fansubs. I actually think that if Shugo Chara was released in the US with a good dub and shown on TV it could bring in lots of younger girls (who have never seen Cardcaptors or Sailor Moon) in the same way that CCS and SM did.
Also, this anime has shown to be very popular (I think it's one of the all time favorites on CR) and fairly well known so I'm hoping that it gets licensed by December, no idea if it will or not though.

Anyway, even though the story itself isn't very original, I think that is has quite a following because of how cute it is and the message, stay true to yourself but yet don't be afraid to try something new. The message is really emphasized in the anime and it's a good, uplifting message, one that everyone needs to hear now and then.

I think you misquoted, because I didn't say that, hehe. But, it's good to see a few other people think it could take off on US TV. And I DO think it could sorta be the "Naruto for girls", lol. They could probably sell a lot of merchandise too... Chara plushies, Amu's amulet, etc etc.

I wish there was a way to get the companies to look at things, but chances are they've already heard about it if it's as popular as I like to think it is Anime hyper I doubt writing an e-mail to Funi/Viz/etc would do much good, since... well, if they took every fan suggestion, they'd have too much.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
If anyone thinks that shougo anime wouldn't sell in the US then they probably have not been keeping up with the fansubs.

I DO keep up with the fansubs (didn't I just say I've seen up to ep 43?), and that's exactly the problem:

They're fansubs.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the ten bajillion faithful Shugo Chara fans waiting for the next upload on the internet would even think of actually buying the DVDs if they're ever released. (I, at least, get every volume of the translated manga as soon as it's out.)

That's why most people in the industry think shoujo anime doesn't sell in America.

Like I said, I'd love to see the Shugo Chara anime succeed here, but after the anime boom of the past several years most companies are concentrating on audiences that will actually pay for things (i.e. fanboys aged 18-34).

And I DO think it could sorta be the "Naruto for girls", lol. They could probably sell a lot of merchandise too... Chara plushies, Amu's amulet, etc etc.

OMG you would not believe how much of the Shugo Chara merch I desperately want. Laughing Even though some of it is just trinkets they give away in Nakayoshi. I'm actually kinda disappointed that anime dealers in the US in have been really bad about importing SC stuff over... (it's all Geass this and Bleach that Rolling Eyes)
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote

I think you misquoted, because I didn't say that, hehe. But, it's good to see a few other people think it could take off on US TV. And I DO think it could sorta be the "Naruto for girls", lol. They could probably sell a lot of merchandise too... Chara plushies, Amu's amulet, etc etc.

No, I understood that you didn't say that, it was a bit of a rant since I've heard from a few places that "shojo doesn't sell" and it bugs me since well, I want it to see so that I can actually own English DVDs! And yes, I understand that not all of the fansub fans would buy DVDs, hence the reason a lot of people say the anime industry is folding. But a lot of popular series are still getting licensed and I do think this one would have potential to bring a lot of new fans in.
I would love it so much if some American companies would actually bring the merchandise over as well, so much of the stuff you can only get on ebay, and then it's usually way overpriced. If I ever went to Japan I swear I'd come back with a whole suitcase of just anime merchandise....
Shinmaru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
I love Shugo Chara! dearly. It is such a cute and fun series -- definitely predictable, but I love its style and positive nature. That, and it likes to tweak its audience a LOT (spoiler[constant teasing of Amu/Ikuto? Nadeshiko being a trap?]).

I'm through ep45 right now. spoiler[I'm eager to see where the story goes now that the Guardians have taken care of both Nikaidou and Sanjo -- obviously, the big boss of Easter is still left, and there is Ikuto to deal with. Also, there is of course the inevitable return of Nadeshiko.] I doubt either of those will get any serious resolution before the original 52-episode run is completed, since Shugo Chara! will have at least one more season.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Shinmaru wrote:
I love Shugo Chara! dearly. It is such a cute and fun series -- definitely predictable, but I love its style and positive nature. That, and it likes to tweak its audience a LOT (spoiler[constant teasing of Amu/Ikuto? Nadeshiko being a trap?]).

I think the tweaking is definitely Peach-Pit's otaku side -- we must never forget that these are the artists that gave us Rozen Maiden and DearS, and taken in that context, some of the story elements are definitely there for the Akiba/Ikebukuro crowd. spoiler[Nadeshiko] being the most startling one ... but also, the more one thinks about Amu/Ikuto, the more one realizes how it's crawling with fetishistic sexual deviance spoiler[(the "Key entering the lock" part? THANKS FOR THE METAPHOR!)] and goodness gracious, I have no idea why so many early-to-mid-teen girls think Amuto is ZOMGKAWAIIIIII because spoiler[when the boy is an entire level of schooling older than the girl, who is too young to even have little chest-bumps (although the manga did have that one scene where Amu worries about her physical development),] that is not CUTE, that is I AM CALLING THE COPS.

But it's anime, so anything goes. Laughing

Oh, and let's not forget spoiler[Utau's wonderful sibling love for Ikuto, what the hell guys.]

Quote:
I'm through ep45 right now. spoiler[I'm eager to see where the story goes now that the Guardians have taken care of both Nikaidou and Sanjo -- obviously, the big boss of Easter is still left, and there is Ikuto to deal with. Also, there is of course the inevitable return of Nadeshiko.] I doubt either of those will get any serious resolution before the original 52-episode run is completed, since Shugo Chara! will have at least one more season.

Yeah, I think they kinda hit their "final story arc" a little early with spoiler[Amu vs. Utau] so it'll probably be fillers again all the way to the end with maybe some dramatic thingy to make Ep. 52 at least feel a little bit like a true Ep. 52 but at the same time lead into the new season. Maybe now they'll have enough airtime to show spoiler[who gets the Embryo in the end (seriously, how many times did they have to tease that in the late 30's/early 40's).]
Shinmaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
I have never read a Peach-Pit manga, but I have heard a lot from a friend of mine about how they like to subvert traditional shoujo tropes. Shugo Chara! is definitely evidence of that, at least lol.

Haha, spoiler[Amu/Ikuto always gives me a weird feeling. It's well done tension, but ... it's so wrong. And Utau/Ikuto, hahaha. Man, I am seeing a lot of potential incest lately (also watching Revolutionary Girl Utena, which, as I am finding out, is pretty much the queen of incest lol).]

I like the fillers well enough, but I hope there's something really interesting to lead into next season.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They're fansubs.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the ten bajillion faithful Shugo Chara fans waiting for the next upload on the internet would even think of actually buying the DVDs if they're ever released. (I, at least, get every volume of the translated manga as soon as it's out.)

That's why most people in the industry think shoujo anime doesn't sell in America.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't most post-Sailor-Moon shoujo suffer from lackluster sales, even during the boom and before the bust? I just remember Super Gals! being mentioned as having poor sales (thus explaining why ADV didn't continue to release it), and it was never fansubbed past the tenth episode. IIRC the main explanation given was that females just don't buy DVDs in general as much as males do. So female-oriented shows released on DVD don't appeal to most males, and their target female audience is more likely to buy (and be satisfied with) the manga versions of those series.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Shinmaru wrote:
I have never read a Peach-Pit manga, but I have heard a lot from a friend of mine about how they like to subvert traditional shoujo tropes. Shugo Chara! is definitely evidence of that, at least lol.

Seeing as Shugo Chara is their only mainstream shoujo work (all their other series are for guys) it's pretty much their playground for going all-out with the subversion. Laughing

Quote:
I like the fillers well enough, but I hope there's something really interesting to lead into next season.

I hope they think of something as well. The recap episode was surprisingly decent spoiler[(I did NOT see Kairi's confession coming at the end of that one)] but after the spoiler[school choir ep (adorable as it may have been) and the Rima filler ep], I think they're starting to backslide again.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place or not . . . I looked around for a Doki or Party thread but couldn't find any that weren't part of a new discussion. Please move this if it's in the wrong place. Thanks.

Just finished Shugo Chara and Shugo Chara Doki and was looking forward to Party . . .

and then I saw party. and I didn't like party.

Does party (as far as anyone else has seen) conclude anything like spoiler[ the stuff about Ikuto's father, Amu/Tadase relationship, possible relationship between Utau and "Sky Jack" (can't remember his name for some reason), and the whole embryo thing or the importance of the Humpty Lock and the Dumpty Key?] If it does, then I imagine that I could bear sitting through the half of an episode of complete crap that I just saw this morning. If not, I'll just assume that Shugo Chara ended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I think we'll never see a real conclusion to the Amu/Tadase/Ikuto love triangle. It would piss off half the fandom either way, as usual with love triangles.

Wasn't the Embryo thing resolved along with Easter?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I think we'll never see a real conclusion to the Amu/Tadase/Ikuto love triangle. It would piss off half the fandom either way, as usual with love triangles.

Good point.

Quote:
Wasn't the Embryo thing resolved along with Easter?

Not really. Please remember that I haven't read the manga or seen anything else for the series past Doki, so. . . (btw, if you plan on EVER watching this series, do NOT read this.) spoiler[the "embryo" that they kept seeing wasn't the embryo at all. It was the kokoro no tamago of the "boss" of Easter (Hikaru) who had cast his own heart aside so that he would not feel any of the pain and suffering that he was feeling by being forced into being the head of the corporation and giving up his childhood. His heart was actually searching for him. That's why it became a stone when he discarded it - it was basically dying or disappearing or whatever whenever their owner doesn't want them anymore. So that egg ends up getting returned to Hikaru and someone (can't remember who, sorry) says "so that wasn't the embryo after all" and they decide to keep looking for it.]

I think the biggest cop-out though was with Nagihiko. spoiler[Why didn't he just come out and tell Amu-can that he was Nadeshiko?] I mean, half of the cast knew anyways. And the series was supposed to be about accepting who you are - flaws and all. So why leave that one character's issues hanging so far out in the open like that? It just bugged me a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2