• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: The Laughing Man DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's voice fits Motoko's character perfectly. I don't see why they even thought about changing the VA in the first place.

It's not the Major I'd be worried about, since she's ridiculously easy to act. It's characters like Aramaki and Batou, the ones who lend themselves easily to stereotypes.

belvadeer wrote:
A good question, whose lame idea was it to change the actors anyway?

I'm just guessing here, but Manga probably figured that anyone who would buy this hasn't seen the TV series already, so it didn't matter if the dub voices were different. Having Ocean do it was probably cheaper than getting the SAC cast and ZRO Limit to re-record stuff they'd already done years ago, so there you go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
One question, isn't this OVA(?) basically a rehash of SAC season 1 with additional footage like Death And Rebirth?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
Both are blatant cash cows which I'm not even renting let alone buying. Because they are so obvious I can't see the point of them even wasting the budget producing these. They also cheapen the value of the individual original gigs IMHO It's a pointless failure as far as I'm concerned.
AY War Horse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
One question, isn't this OVA(?) basically a rehash of SAC season 1 with additional footage like Death And Rebirth?

The quick answer to that is yes, it is an abreviated version of the laughing man incidents that occured in the first series of SAC 1 , with some additional scenes added in to enable it to work as a movie. And I must say that at times releases like this OVA and "Death and Rebirth" add little to, but don't necessarily detract anything from, the series that they have been born from. Therefore in this regard such movies could well be more about making money than about adding depth to the original. However if someone watched the Laughing Man movie and this produced interest in the series then that can be a good thing.

As for the change in english voice actors it can happen at times, it is no different from some film sequels or television series' where there has been a change in actors. Both of these changes can throw the audience, in the anime it can be strange to see a character who sounds differently which can cause both disorientation, irritation and as in the Laughing Man film controversy. When it comes to film and TV pieces there is no previous reference in physical look when the actor changes but there will be some diorientation since a character may well have become identified with the previous actor. Overall such changes do, at times throw, me at times and then i have the option to either carry on watching and just accept and get used to the change or not bother to watch it, for instance in the Laughing Man film as has been mentioned above it is always possible to go over to the Japanese version instead, but not sure about turning off the sound which could end up as disorientating as a silent (i.e. pictures no words) comic strip, but knowing the original series I am sure it would not be too hard to follow the film in this mannor Wink .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2