• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-25]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I have a strong feeling that a lot of responses to this week's Answerfan question will be tirades on the endings to Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Big O, and Death Note.

I was going to go with Big O... then I remembered how the (mostly American) fan outrage over the ending to the first season prompted a second season, which sucked worse. Nope, not going to touch it. Evangelion maybe, but I'd have to change the beginning and middle too.

I actually enjoyed the second season of The Big O, and the only way I'd change the ending is to add some additional footage here and there to make the concepts present adhere better to the action of the plot and thus seem more tangible. Not that an ending needed to be spoonfed, but it seemed too rushed, leaving some with the feeling that it needed a third season - a conclusion I've always disagreed with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shotaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
About the troubles ADV is having, I purchase DVDs off of Rightstuf and I got an e-mail with a sale going on with the DVDs licensed/distributed by ADV. Then it struck me, "Rightstuf did that with Geneon a couple of months before they closed their doors."

I don't know if it's just me being paranoid or what, but I see this sale as an omen of sorts. I really like ADV too and I am looking forward to their release of Gurren-Lagann so I hope my suspicions are false!
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
Shotaro wrote:
About the troubles ADV is having, I purchase DVDs off of Rightstuf and I got an e-mail with a sale going on with the DVDs licensed/distributed by ADV. Then it struck me, "Rightstuf did that with Geneon a couple of months before they closed their doors."

I don't know if it's just me being paranoid or what, but I see this sale as an omen of sorts. I really like ADV too and I am looking forward to their release of Gurren-Lagann so I hope my suspicions are false!

There was an ADV sale like this last year in March, yet they're still kicking and working on new shows, so I wouldn't worry about it, especially since the majority of what's being sold are single dvds for series that now have thinpak releases. The same could not be said of what Geneon stuff was on sale.
Shotaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Parvati-IV wrote:
There was an ADV sale like this last year in March, yet they're still kicking and working on new shows, so I wouldn't worry about it, especially since the majority of what's being sold are single dvds for series that now have thinpak releases. The same could not be said of what Geneon stuff was on sale.

I didn't know that and I hope what you say is true. But Geneon was "supposedly" working on new shows too like Zero no Tsukaima and I think Black Lagoon: Second Barrage.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
Shotaro wrote:
I didn't know that and I hope what you say is true. But Geneon was "supposedly" working on new shows too like Zero no Tsukaima and I think Black Lagoon: Second Barrage.

Not to mention the Hellsing Ultimate series, who now has to look for a new distributor. Geneon in Japan will still be making it though.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they had this exact same sale about a year ago. They have sales like this periodically, so I wouldn't be panicking just yet.

That being said, I'm certainly worried about ADV--they're one of my favorite companies, so if they end up going the way of Geneon I'm going to be really upset.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kiches

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
I love my purple barney tapes Smile Too bad they take up so much space. I got into VHS fansubs pretty much near the end of it I think, and I remember the first couple of digisubs that ever came out too, I don't think I'm that old (21) but it's very strange how a lot of people don't know about vhs fansubs. I really wished that I had gotten those Kodocha fansub dvds now, I have Funimations dvds, but I'd still like them, the only reason why I didn't get them was because I didn't have a dvd player then.

As for unsatisfying endings, I have to say I was disappointed in Please Save My Earth ending so shortly, but it was an OVA series. Also thought that Escaflowne could have been wrapped up a little neater (probably if they did the original plan of 39 episodes instead of 26).
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Shotaro wrote:

Most of what's on sale is older DVDs that have had box set releases, and everything is just left over loose DVDs. At least thats what a majority of it looks like.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
I feel like next week's column is going to be spoiler central, so I hope Zac gives a heads-up at the top as to what series will be featured in the responses he selects. Hint, hint. Razz

And yeah, the RightStuf sale seems to be a lot of back inventory for series that have received newer thinpack releases. Heck, most of the titles I checked out in it didn't even have all of their volumes available, so I don't think it'll be all that useful to the majority of customers. It's most likely just RightStuf's way of clearing out their stockroom.

(And maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling that, if most of the people who answered this week's question had had their way, the R1 industry would have gone belly-up years ago...)
Meccanica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I forgot to write in about the Answerfans question.
Here's my summarized version:

The big thing is how to sell the properties you license-
I think a really big move would be distributing online in a format that allows for the addition of extra language tracks and other information after purchase.
In my mind, the ideal digital distribution setup would allow for almost immediate sales of subtitled episodes- but once a given episode (or group of episodes) has been purchased, it could be updated with additional language / subtitle tracks once they become available.
I have no idea how the economics of this would work, and I don't know how to weigh in on the DRM issue...

Advertising and the like is a bit of an issue, too... I don't think any of the R1 companies (with the exception of that little Haruhi hoo-hah) are very good at marketing at all. There needs to be more attention on how to a) capitalize on the attention a series will inevitably already have, and b) draw fresh attention to it. Some cleverness may be required.
Trailers that aren't terrible might be involved, and actually getting people to see them somewhere other than the dvd extras and Youtube would be a plus.
psygremlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote
Just a quick question following on the ongoing rumbles regarding R1 releases and companies. I can understand ANNs bias towards R1, given their location, but any news on the status of R4 companies and releases, like the excellent Madman.

Luckily I live in a country where we have access to both R1 and R4 DVDs and as far as I can tell, R4 seems to still be pretty healthy, but I only say that because I've heard nothing to the contrary.

Maybe R1 companies need to have a look at R4 business models and see what they're doing right, assuming everything is still hunky-dory over there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
On the topic of the ending of Tenchi Muyo, the thing is that was not suppose to be the end of the OVA story, but the end of the Goddess War arc. If what Mr. Kajishima said in his infamous interview he gave at AIC's English website, when it opened way back in 2001, is true there is, or was going to be a fourth OVA produced that was going to "explain certain points and tie up loose ends" like the age old Tenchi question, who will he chose to be his bride, if any at all? Personally I still think it should be Ryouko, but that is for a different thread. Now Mr. K is getting on in his years like most of the animators in Japan these days, and I hear rumours that he is working on other projects and has put the alleged fourth Tenchi OVA on the back burner. I just hope he lives long enough to finish it like he said he would.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
I have to say, that first CEO/dictator would be out of business pretty fast Razz (but I think that was the point...or I hope it was). I would totally love a Dramacon anime though!

If it was me, I think I'd try to follow Viz's model, since they seem to be doing very well for themselves. They get the huge shounen shows, like Naruto, plus they also have a fair amount of series where they have both the manga and the anime. I also love that they are bringing live action over too, I hope it does well.

Basically the anime industry sounds to me a lot like the publishing industry (at least in Canada). You have to publish some things that will make a lot of money, regardless of quality, in order to stay in business. And then you can use those titles to handle the losses that you will take when you put out something that is really good but few people are going to buy.
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quote
I used to favor ADV. I've found myself prefering FUNi lately, but I'd hate to see anything happen to ADV. I mean, what happened to Geneon was bad enough, we don't need another big name company going anywhere.

On another note, YaY! My Dear Answerfans answer was posted (Charles Dawson)!
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
September 28th, 2007 - Answerman wrote:
In short, yes, Geneon's exit is a bad thing, a sign that not every company can survive in this market; yes, the R1 industry is facing new challenges, and there are problems they're not addressing competently, but the world is not ending, the major players will continue to be major players, and fans will continue to buy anime.
January 25th, 2008 - Answerman wrote:
Let's get one thing straight - it is not at all unreasonable to be concerned about the repeated cutback announcements coming out of ADV. The folks who seem hell-bent on dismissing any kind of reasonable pessimism about either ADV or the health of the R1 industry as "sky is falling" reactionary panic are, to be honest, sticking their heads in the sand.

Eh, I just find it amusing. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11