• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Bandai Entertainment Respond on Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johjohz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
that's all, crunchyroll only helps us watch our favorite shows without having to download them.

Even if they get rid of crunchyroll, they won't solve the copyright infringement problem or whatever, we'll just have to Download the fansubbed episodes by ourselves.

So, they should try to stop the fansubbbers, not the streaming sites.

i think most of those who hate crunchyroll have some high speed connection, and they can download the episodes easily, that's all. (bastards)

ps. funimation sucks big time.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Even if you call the FBI, how long do you think it'll take for them to actually respond? I mean, they do have to deal with things like murder, drug trafficking, and so on... Rolling Eyes
Orange_Popsicle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Only Funimation?

Other companies need to start moving, otherwise sites like CR are never going to get shut down.

I was looking through the anime index on that site, and I found that MANY animes that have been licensed for a LONG time still have not been removed.

Of course, I guess I can kind of understand why they haven't removed stuff that Geneon USA stopped dubbing because they went of of business (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Rozen Maiden) But when I see stuff like Bleach, Naruto, Ghost Hunt, Sola, and Air still on the site I kind of have to wonder if Shinji (The sites owner) is really keeping true to his word. Sure, all of the mentioned series have little tags on them that say "This is licensed. Please Remove." but those don't mean a single thing, because from what I've heard from friends who use the site, those little tags will be up for anywhere from a month to a year before anyone does anything about it.

I personally want to hear what Viz Media has to say about all of this. It seems like CR has a LOT of titles that have been licensed by Viz still on the site.

I also want to hear what the manga publishing companies have to say about CR. A few minutes ago, I discovered a manga section on CR that was filled with licensed manga, too.

EDIT: I understand that CR is just one of the many sites that provides free streaming anime, and that it's really the fansubbers that need to be stopped. I'm just saying I dislike CR and would like to see it closed down.

Last edited by Orange_Popsicle on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I've never liked CruncyRoll as they leech more than anyone possibly could. They try to stay legal with somewhat getting rid of licensed material in the United States, but then they try to force their premium accounts on people by offering only crappy streamed video for the free. I hate CruncyRoll because they're screwing over the R1 industry while simultaneously pissing off fansub groups who loathe that some jerk named Shinji is making money off of their free translations. I've only ever used the site to view a few episodes of something that was still airing in Japan and it was awful. I can't imagine how they got this deal, and I wish the R1 industry would fight against it.

As for fansubbers, they have no say what happens to their translations after they've released them. The most they can do is just stop translating, in a way, boycotting CruncyRoll of material to load. I guess we'll just have to sit back and see how this plays out, but I can't believe I'm siding with Funimation on this one.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
TBS, or some affiliation, apparently requested CR to take down a few of their shows and they complied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Yes. We need more than one company to publically denounce Crunchyroll. If not; then they're inadvertantly saying "GO RIGHT AHEAD AND RUIN THE INDUSTRY FOR EVERYBODY."

Media Blasters have done so on AnimeOnDVD's thread with John Sirabella commenting, though also addressing how unfair these circumstances can be for small companies. I'd suggest going there for exact quotes. I don't doubt we'll see other companies comment too, depending on what their legal departments are up to.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
johjohz wrote:
that's all, crunchyroll only helps us watch our favorite shows without having to download them.

Even if they get rid of crunchyroll, they won't solve the copyright infringement problem or whatever, we'll just have to Download the fansubbed episodes by ourselves.

So, they should try to stop the fansubbbers, not the streaming sites.

i think most of those who hate crunchyroll have some high speed connection, and they can download the episodes easily, that's all. (bastards)

ps. funimation sucks big time.

Are you kidding? Crunchyroll is a bigger problem because they represent a site streaming content and profiting from it, without giving a dime back to the industry that created the content they're lifting. They're a parasite, and far worse than any fansubber could ever be. No getting rid of the site wouldn't solve copyright problems, but it would remove a freeloading site that is doing nothing for the industry but hurting it.

And FYI, leave the trolling comments out of legit discussions. Saying "funimation sucks big time." doesn't do a single thing to further discussion aside from incite equally negative response. Especially when you don't even provide any logic behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Good for Funi, and they're right - it's not a battle they can fight alone. It does look like CR isn't hosting many of Funi's titles, though the fact that the ones MokonaModoki mentioned and many follow-up OVAs (Rumbling Hearts) and second seasons (Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori) are still there is disappointing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Was the second season of Hell Girl licensed yet? CruncyRolls tries to mark shows for deletion after they've been licensed, but it doesn't deny the fact that they more than any other group (fansubbers and those who watch fansubs) are the true leeches. They're making money off of fansubs, and all fansub groups explicitly state none of their translations are to be used for profit in any fashion.
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As for fansubbers, they have no say what happens to their translations after they've released them. The most they can do is just stop translating, in a way, boycotting CruncyRoll of material to load. I guess we'll just have to sit back and see how this plays out, but I can't believe I'm siding with Funimation on this one.

Actually, the fansubbers do have copyright over the translation itself in the same way that ADV has copyright over its subtittle translations. If Odex was to grab ADVs subtitles for their DVDs without licensing them from ADV there'd be hell to pay. The reason that fansubbers don't come out and do something is they'd have to give up their anonymity and run the risk of being sued by the Japanese companies.
miggie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Let me get this straight Crunchyroll charges people for fansubs that you people claim should be free. You would rather pay them instead of buying the legal copies or waiting until the shows come over. You people are total duchebags. Do you realize how stupid you sound. You won't pay Viz for their steaming content or iTunes for their downloads but you pay these people. Evil or Very Mad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree, what fansubbers do versus sites like Crunchyroll would be the lesser of two evils. When a site is going to charge for something where nothing goes to the industry then there is point being made to try and stop this kind of activity. Funimation is taking a big stand, but I'm pretty sure that they're not going to be the only ones on this standpoint. Somebody else will come along soon enough.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Was the second season of Hell Girl licensed yet? CruncyRolls tries to mark shows for deletion after they've been licensed, but it doesn't deny the fact that they more than any other group (fansubbers and those who watch fansubs) are the true leeches. They're making money off of fansubs, and all fansub groups explicitly state none of their translations are to be used for profit in any fashion.
There's just no honour among thieves these days.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
So wait, what will happen to the members of the site? Will they be charged of the law or be kicked out? What about the members who payed?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to think that anime fandom is slowly eating itself alive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11